Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Frank Levey b1920 Great Holland Essex England

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

alan

alan Report 15 Apr 2014 17:29

Hi. I am trying to trace my father Frank Levey b: 1920 in Great Holland, ( Tendring )Essex. He was a sergeant in the Royal Army Service Corps RASC. Army No. T/71415.

Frank married ( whilst serving with the BAOR in Germany) Ursula Kathe Margarete Schneider nee Stoye. I cannot find any other records after that marriage.

I know that obtaining records from Germany is very difficult so if anyone can help with my research that would be great.

Thank you. Alan

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Apr 2014 18:01

Do you have his BC? If not, then it might be wise to order it to obtain his full date of birth. If he were to have died in England or Wales up to c2006, it might be able to trace the record with the dob.

If you need it, this is his gro reg
Births Jun 1920
Levey Frank
Mothers maiden name - Healy
Distict - Tendring
Volume - 4a
Page - 1665

Order from http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ for £9.25

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Apr 2014 18:08

Will Send by PM an address for a Frank to 2009, and an Ursula to 2012.
If it is the correct family, the new residents may have contact details for Ursula, or at the very least can give you either their own solicitors' address, or Ursula's.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Apr 2014 23:04

Does he know of your existence, Alan?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Apr 2014 10:47

PM appears to have been opened, but no acknowledgement. As I'd asked Alan to reply on the thread, he might be waiting until he can respond from home.

On reflection, Reggie does have a point about asking if Frank knows of Alan. I'd assumed that the details as posted in the OP could have been obtained from Alan's BC. However, they could also have been taken from Frank's MC.

Considering the presumed age of both Frank and Ursula, if they are still living, make sure that any communication starts off with a general enquiry for FH purposes. If a letter is passed to a child of theirs, they may have no knowledge of you. A half brother appearing out the woodwork could be quite a shock!

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 16 Apr 2014 12:44

There is a possible daughter for Frank and Ursula born 1953 in Germany, who may have married twice in the Southend area.

She appears under the second married name on the ER with Ursula and Frank, have pmed the details.

EDIT: If I'm reading the ER correctly, the probable daughter was still living at the same address Ursula was to 2012, in 2013. She is an age match for the child born 1953 in Germany, has same forename and middle initial.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 16 Apr 2014 15:06

There are some other armed forces Levey births worldwide, but no way of knowing if they relate to Frank and Ursula.

PM has been opened.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Apr 2014 15:30

I hope that these people are aware of Alan's existence, or, if they aren't, that he is very careful about how he uses the info you've sent him

He clearly isn't Ursula's child................................

jax

jax Report 16 Apr 2014 15:40

Alan seems to have the surname Levey...so would have thought Frank knew about him?

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 16 Apr 2014 16:24

DetEcTive had already pmed the ER info - the information I pmed was also in the public domain and seemed to back it up that the ER info was the right family, and flagged up that there was likely to be at least one half sibling involved.

Advice has been given on the thread to approach any communication carefully, and as Jax said, Alan had the same surname, though he may have since changed it by deed poll.

Having waited this long, I imagine Alan has thought carefully about what he is doing.

I don't look at this board very often because I'm aware sensitive issues might be involved, so if I have done anything against the spirit and purpose of this particular board I apologise wholeheartedly.

:-(

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Apr 2014 17:48

Kucinta, you have done nothing 'wrong'. ;-) :-)

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 16 Apr 2014 20:16

Thanks, DetEcTive, I was beginning to angst about it.

Feel better now :-)

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 16 Apr 2014 20:21

Frank married Alan's mother so I assume he knows about Alan.

Rose

alan

alan Report 17 Apr 2014 03:19

Hi guys.

My apologies for not replying earlier as I am at present on holiday in Florida USA with intermittent on-line acccess and I must admit that I didn't expect such quick responses to my post.

I do appreciate all your input/info/comments/concerns and will have to sit down and really take it all on board, so apologies again if there's a delay in responding to you all.

I do have my dad's BC and both MCs (my mother Elsie Davies and Ursula Kathe Margarete Schneider nee Stoye.) I have seen the ER record on 192 but couldn't relate to it.

My mother and biological father Frank Levey married in 1945 but divorced before I was born although Frank did pay towards my upbringing until I was 16 so one may assume that Ursula would be aware of me??

My mother remarried to a Albert William Chamberlain, my step dad. I did indeed change my name by deed poll to Chamberlain as my mother didn't want my step dad to adopt me.

I have been in contact with other Levey relatives but they do not have info with regards to Frank.

I am well aware of the sensitivity of suddenly turning up as ' the long lost relative ' but as I am now 67, I am trying to find my roots both for myself and for my children but I would not want to cause distress to anybody.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Apr 2014 08:38

Thank you for clarifying, Alan.........

Your original post left us wondering....................had you told us that your parents were married, there would have been no concerns raised.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 17 Apr 2014 10:58

When you get home, write to the address(es) you have been sent.

It is possible that both Frank and Ursula are in Care homes, but on the other hand??? Frank would be c89 if he has survived.....Ursula slightly less? Their demise is something you need to be prepared for.

You still need to be discrete in case your existence has been kept secret from their own children. They might welcome you with open arms but on the other hand may find the contact difficult to come to terms with.

We would appreciate you letting us know the eventual outcome.

Take care and make the most of sun :-)

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 17 Apr 2014 12:22

It's just the one address I believe - the one that DetEcTive originally pmed. It had another occupant (still there in 2013) who tallied with the birth in Germany and subsequent two marriages in England that I found, of a probable daughter to Frank and Ursula, which I believe added some strength to the hope we'd found the correct couple.

Enjoy your holiday! :-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Apr 2014 13:03

May I point out, Alan, that your mother would have required your father's permission to go through a 'mother's own' adoption process with her second husband..................if that was witheld, no adoption could take place

alan

alan Report 18 Apr 2014 02:07

Hi again guys.

I should be home next week so will be able to print off all your info. I will then be able to assimilate everything you've posted. I must admit that I find things easier to absorb and arrange from hard copy. So thanks again for your quick responses, they're appreciated. Will continue thread soon. Alan

alan

alan Report 26 Apr 2014 20:24

Hi all.

I am now back in the UK after an enjoyable warm and sunny holiday and have just received the BC for Susan A Levey, the daughter of Frank & Ursula Levey,

I was pleased to discover that all info on it, including Frank's Army Number, confirmed that Susan is my half sister and that we have the right family.

In consequence, I have nervously decided to initiate correspondence but will obviously take real care in drafting a letter as the wording needs to be appropriate and not overstated .

Suggestions would be much appreciated folks. Certainly the idea of a general FH enquiry as mentioned earlier in the thread sounds a good one.

Many regards

Alan