Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Reuniting a British Airforce Diary WW2 to family.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 27 Apr 2014 16:44

Hi everyone, I am trying to help someone who has a friend in the US who has just found an old WW2 British Air Force diary. It has the name and other particulars of the owner still in it. It has a complete year of personal history for 1944.which belonged to a lady who was in the RAF as a Leading Aircraft Woman, who use to live in Chingford UK, . We cant find a marriage reference for her in England but we do know she married a Frank Greenham proberly in the US...so we cant find out if they had any children...However, she did have 2 sisters and 2 brothers;
Jennifer A Dench born 1947 in Essex
Jill S Dench born 1950 in Essex
Jeremy Dench 1953 in Essex
Julian A Dench 1962 in Essex
Can any of you help in finding any marriage references or children of these 4 siblings so that this wonderful precious Diary can be handed back to one of the family??... Any leads would be greatly appreciated as I am only a standard member so I am limited to how far I can search.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Apr 2014 16:52

well Jeremy Dench married in Essex

will PM you the info together with his current address

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Apr 2014 16:59

and info for Julian PM,d

jax

jax Report 27 Apr 2014 17:12

Who was this lady who had siblings almost 40 years younger than her if she was writing a diary in 1944?

Linda

Linda Report 27 Apr 2014 17:28

Hmm, I see what you mean Jax... my head's a bit overloaded, might have got siblings or their children mixed up a little, however they are from the same family and Shirley has kindly given me a very good lead, which I will now pass on the exciting information.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 27 Apr 2014 17:37

What was this lady's name?

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 27 Apr 2014 17:45

Pretty easy to find. Here's the marriage for the aunt of all those children:

Marriages Mar 1950
Dench Olive M Greenham Hatfield 4b 66
Greenham Frank H Dench Hatfield 4b 66

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 27 Apr 2014 17:49

She is listed in a tree on this site.

Rose

Linda

Linda Report 27 Apr 2014 17:49

The lady who wrote the diary was Olive Dench born in 1922 (Lewisham).... This is the copy of thepost that I am trying to help; HELP NEEDED TO FIND A CHINGFORD FAMILY CALLED DENCH. ( maybe GREENHAM)
Request from a FB friend of mine in the US - just found an old WW2 British Air Force diary. It has the name and other particulars of the owner still in it. Measures about 3X5". It has a complete year of personal history for 1944. Belonged to a lady who was in the RAF as a Leading Aircraft Woman -- can you suggest any places to contact to find her or her relatives
LACW O.M. Dench, service no. 476250, partial date of birth is May 15th, year unknown. Home address: 100 Nelson Rd, South Chingford, London, E4. Phone number in 1944: Larkwood 1803 (possibly 1808...smudged). Duty Station: RAF Station, Bentley Armory, Stanmore and possibly Kirkwall, Orkney. He said that LACW means Leading Air Craft Woman.

Many thanks for any help. We are hoping to reunite the diary and family. We think she may be Olive Dench born in 1922 . Her Mums surname may have been Priddy and Olive may have married Frank Greenham in 1950 .

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 27 Apr 2014 17:50

Possibly some children born in the UK too.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 27 Apr 2014 18:00

There are 2 daughters. You can find their names on FreeBMD.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 27 Apr 2014 18:13

How and where did your friend find this diary?

Rose

Linda

Linda Report 27 Apr 2014 18:16

Its now looking like Olive Dench married in ESSEX to a Alfred Evans in 1946 rather than the Frank Greenham marriage in1950 ( this would make more sense)

jax

jax Report 27 Apr 2014 18:22

will delete my replies as they are un related

Linda

Linda Report 27 Apr 2014 18:29

This would put the family in the right place, or am I confusing things?

Linda

Linda Report 27 Apr 2014 18:29

This would put the family in the right place, or am I confusing things?

jax

jax Report 27 Apr 2014 18:30

If she married Alfred Evans then there are 4 children or maybe just 3 as one was born Cornwall so maybe not the same couple

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 27 Apr 2014 18:35

But your opening post said this:

"We cant find a marriage reference for her in England but we do know she married a Frank Greenham proberly in the US"

Why did you say that?

Rose

Linda

Linda Report 27 Apr 2014 19:05

Rose,...The person who I quoted, said she was certain Olive married a Frank Greenham, but now she has been told that it may not be correct on the account that a marriage has been found today for Olive Dench and Alfred EVANS in Dec 1946 in ESSEX,SW.... the same area as her brother Laurence and neice's/nephews,- I can see 2 references which could be Olive and Alfred's children, .... ..1, David Evans born 1947 and 2, Sarah Evans born 1958, both also born ESSEX SW. The diary said the address was Nelson Road Chingford, which back then came under ESSEX SW So I guess they feel the Essex route is the right one ( quite how the diary ended up in the US is not known yet)

jax

jax Report 27 Apr 2014 19:13

There is also an Epping birth which is not far from there