Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching for my wife's father.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

William

William Report 28 Sep 2015 17:14

My wife is 63 and is searching for her birth father who she has never met ..and any siblings .
His name is Michael Joseph Greene - we do not know whether he is dead or alive .
We have an army number from her birth certificate - Royal Warks. 22609224 .
We also have his marriage and birth certificate .
Any help would be appreciated -but we are unsure what detail we can add to the post without intruding on privacy.
Thanks

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 28 Sep 2015 17:41

Lot more info. in your previous thread.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1329426

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 28 Sep 2015 17:42

Was the 1959 Coventry marriage his?

Rose

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 28 Sep 2015 18:47

born 1931, Galway

William

William Report 28 Sep 2015 18:57

Thanks for all of your replies.
Birth 1931 fits.
Married also in 1951 and divorced .
Marriage 1959 looked promising but details didn't match completely - However if there were children from it they may be worth contacting ? :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Sep 2015 20:30

Ancestry has thrown this transcription up - no idea if its correct especially as the dob could be wrong

Name: Mr Michael Joseph Greene
Birth Date: 21 Feb 1932
Death Date: 6 Nov 2008
Residence Place at Death: Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
Postal Code District: B31

His Estate went to Probate, You could order a copy for £10
http://tiny.cc/ppkz3x
Main search page https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Surname First name Date of probate Probate number Date of death Document type Registry
GREENE MICHAEL JOSEPH 12 January 2009 2926286 06 November 2008 Grant and will Birmingham

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Sep 2015 20:35

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl gives one birth for a Greene + 1959 spouse, in 1959 Coventry

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 28 Sep 2015 20:51

What details didn't fit in the 1959 marriage?

There appear to be children born as Green to this marriage. There is another marriage with this surname combination a little later though.

Rose

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 29 Sep 2015 08:26

There are these marriages for Michael J Greene in

1957 Birmingham to Mary A (this couple are on the electoral register at 3 st. Martin's Street from 1960 to at least 1965, possible son John C born 1958). This is possibly the Michael that died 6 Nov 2008 as posted above (so may be not this one as date of birth is incorrect):
http://www.bmdsonline.co.uk/birmingham-mail/obituary/michael-greene/1331581?s_source=tmmi_bmem

1959 Coventry to Joan (but not this one according to marriage cert you have)

1960 Coventry to Jean E (possible son Paul F). This couple appear on the current electoral register still living in Coventry.

William

William Report 29 Sep 2015 15:52

Thanks everybody .

1959 Marriage puts him at negative 1 year and fathers Christian name different.
1960 Marriage puts him at negative 3 years and fathers Christian name different.

:-|

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Sep 2015 16:50

Don't worry if ages are slightly out. Unless you know his exact DOB, your calculation could be out by a year. Even then, either party have been known to have added or subtracted a few years if there was a large age difference. They didn't have to show a BC.

The name of the father and/or their occupation are more relevant.

William

William Report 30 Sep 2015 17:54

Thanks.
Fathers Christian name is Joseph not John occupation is Plasterer not Labourer.
What do you think ??

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Sep 2015 18:04

Plasterer and Labourer aren't a problem. The first names might be

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 30 Sep 2015 19:20

This is frustrating!

I wondered if there was another way to trace him- your other post suggests his mother was surname Broderick.

I don't see a John Greene/ Broderick marriage- what was the mother's first name listed on Michael's birth certificate?

There is a possible brother born 1929 Gort, Joseph J, and sister, Philomena who died as young child (1934-1937). So Michael, or family might possibly be traced through Joseph J(ohn?), or through his parents (they may have left Wills).

There is a Joseph J marriage in 1958 Coventry which could be the brother.

There is also a Patrick J born 1928 Galway with the same mm which could be worth looking into.

EDIT: possible death for that child:
Name: Patrick Joseph Greene
Estimated birth year: abt 1928
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1928
Death Age: 0
Registration district: Galway
Volume: 4 Page: 127

Oh, and I see on his marriage in 1951 Michael is listed without the J? Who were the witnesses to the marriage- if it was his birth place, they could be relatives.

William

William Report 30 Sep 2015 20:53

Hi .
I need to assimilate all this info. will do tomorrow late afternoon - Thanks

William

William Report 1 Oct 2015 19:50

Hi .

I am back.
M.J.Greene's mothers Christian name was Kate.
My wife's birth certificate quotes fathers name as M.J.
Does this help ?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 3 Oct 2015 00:36

does it say M.J. or Michael Joseph?

helpers need to know everything you know ... we can't see the certificate :-)

can you explain how you know his mother's name?

is it from a birth certificate that you are not sure is his for instance?

from the other thread ... toggling back and forth to find all the info that was offered there (and to determine whether it has been verified when it is finally offered in this new thread that was posted without offering an iota of the work already done) is pretty tiresome

Ireland, Civil Registration Births Index, 1864-1958 about Michael J Greene
Name: Michael J Greene
Mother's Surname: Broderick
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1931
Registration District: Gort
Birth Country: Ireland

if the father's name on the marriage certificate to your wife's mother matches the name on that birth certificate, then it seems likely that it is him

William

William Report 3 Oct 2015 13:59

Hello.
Sorry that was why I asked at the start of this post for advice on the amount of information I could post without intruding on anybody's privacy.

What I have is the following :-
1951 Wedding Cert - Michael Joseph Greene to Margaret Walker ( my mother in law - Church of Kinvara - District - GORT
1952 My wife's Birth Cert - Father Michael Joseph Greene.- Born in Coventry
1931 Birth Cert - Michael Joseph Greene - Kinvara - GORT.
It is my assumption that the three events are linked?
Thanks for your help.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 3 Oct 2015 20:34

'if the father's name on the (1951) marriage certificate to your wife's mother matches the name on that birth (1931) certificate, then it seems likely that it is him'

sometimes only the DNA will ever tell us these things for sure :-D

there are still things that you know that we don't ... like why your wife was born in Coventry perhaps

was your wife's mother from Coventry? if so, any idea why she married in Ireland?

I wonder whether there is anyone in your wife's family still living (a younger sibling of your wife's mother?) who would remember Michael and something as simple as whether he appeared to be Irish :-)

actually I wonder whether he was ever in Coventry at all ... does you wife know for sure that he was? the marriage in Ireland appears to have been, forgive me, hasty (if your wife's mother was born in Coventry, her birth record shows her to have been very young when she married), and then your wife was born in Coventry and the divorce followed

at the time, as I understand it, grounds for divorce, apart from the standard adultery and cruelty, included desertion which had to be for 3 years

your wife's mother remarried 3 and a half years or so after your wife was born ... so counting the time for getting the divorce, I might wonder whether the couple ever really lived together after they married

I don't know whether court records of the divorce would still exist but you might want to look into that at the local courts, there could be very useful information, like where the papers were served on Michael (assuming he was the respondent as seems likely)

on the other hand if Michael was in the Royal Warwickshires one would think he enrolled after moving to Coventry since as far as I can see the Warks were never in Ireland ... but very possibly he did not maintain ties with the area if his estranged wife and child were his only connection with it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Warwickshire_Regiment#Post_war_years

'Between 1945 and 1948, the regiment saw service in Palestine, then Korea between 1953 and 1954, Cyprus between 1955 and 1959, and then was based in the Arabian Peninsula from 1957 to 1960. In 1958, the depot in Warwick was closed and the regiment was reduced to a single regular battalion, sharing a depot in Strensall with the three other regiments of the Midland Brigade (renamed the Forester Brigade in 1958).'

I've just realised that it seems your wife's mum is still living and this may make some of this indiscreet ... but if she is, can she not tell (or has she never told) your wife whether Michael was Irish at least? :-)

William

William Report 3 Oct 2015 22:04

Thanks i'll see if I can get any further information tomorrow.