Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for a Graham Bell

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

em77

em77 Report 11 Sep 2017 19:41

Hi im looking for a man called graham Bell, i hav'nt got much info but in Winchester in 1976 he was friends with my mum Diane Faulkner and a bloke called Tony Billington at the time they was all in there early 20's.... i was told my mum was a cook in a probation place and both Graham and Tony were on probation graham for possible fraud? I was also told before this Graham was a chef on a ship docked in Southampton and possiblly had a yorkshire accent!! I have tried everything i can to get more info.... but this is it!! I have been looking for years... so any help with this would be appriciated :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 11 Sep 2017 20:01

Em, I think it's probably a bit unfair to mention the very personal det it really is irrelevant to the search and certainly breaches the privacy of the other person allegedly involved so I'd advise you delete that before someone reports it.

I assume your mother is still living? can she say whether Graham stayed around, and anything else she knew about him

Rambling

Rambling Report 11 Sep 2017 20:05

You can see from a search on freebmd.org.uk that there dozens of Graham Bells born in the likely time frame, so without any more info it's unlikely you will find him.

Have you put your mother's name ( with her permission) and yourself on a tree here in case Graham is looking for either of you? Would he know about you?

Rambling

Rambling Report 11 Sep 2017 20:08

There is an Anthony Billington marrying in Winchester .....

EDITED well ok yes I see that this is already known about,

Can neither give you more info?

em77

em77 Report 11 Sep 2017 20:18

Diane faulkner was from guilford surrey and Tony Billington was from Leicester

Rambling

Rambling Report 11 Sep 2017 20:29

Are you aware Anthony married again? Are you in contact to ask him about Graham?

it would appear Anthony has a tree on here.

em77

em77 Report 11 Sep 2017 21:27

The probation thing is the only other key bit of info other than his name' does anyone know of any good websites you can look up criminal records?? That is all the info i really have... my mum married tony billington in 1977 in winchester a couple of months after i was born!! Me and my mum have no contact and hav'nt for many years!! This is my last hope of trying to find him. I have no idea if he knows about me or not

Rambling

Rambling Report 11 Sep 2017 21:38

Em there are no websites for recent criminal records, the best you might find is a local newspaper report if it went to court. If you have no contact with your mum do you have contact with Anthony? or does your brother have contact and could ask?

em77

em77 Report 11 Sep 2017 21:54

In the past i have spoke to tony and my brother and i have found nothing more out... i dont have contact with tony and very little contact with my brother!! The criminal record is from the 70's so not recent... i did'nt know if there was a way of looking that up as that would give me more information on Graham Bell!! :-\

Rambling

Rambling Report 11 Sep 2017 22:06

The 1970s is recent in terms of criminal records Em, for eg Ancestry only has Criminal registers to 1892,

the National Archives has the following "Criminals calendars (1868-1971)

Search Discovery, our catalogue, by year range in HO 140 to find records which give the place and date of trials. The records are arranged by year and then alphabetically by county. These records are usually opened to the public after 75 years."

For newspaper archives info
http://www3.hants.gov.uk/archives/hals-collections/hals-newspapers.htm

Rambling

Rambling Report 11 Sep 2017 22:19

The best I can suggest is that you make sure you put your name on a tree and hope Graham does know about you and looks for you, and you could consider taking one of the DNA tests available to see if it throws up a match with a member of his family. I don't know much about that , someone else will advise I hope.

em77

em77 Report 11 Sep 2017 22:20

Ok thanks for your help!! Looks like that option wont work then.... looks like im never going to find him... just hope someone sees my first post and they no who im looking for....fingers crossed :-(

em77

em77 Report 11 Sep 2017 22:22

Yes could try the DNA thing and how do i do the tree thing... i really am new to all this :-S

Rambling

Rambling Report 11 Sep 2017 22:34

Go to the Homepage and you will see "Build your family tree" on the left of page. Put your own name , date and place of birth on a tree, and anyone looking for your name will see it when they use the Search trees facility. You can't put Anthony, your mum or brother on without their permission.

em77

em77 Report 11 Sep 2017 23:00

Thing is tho iv had 3/4 different surnames over the years!!

Rambling

Rambling Report 11 Sep 2017 23:22

If Graham had an idea that your mother was pregnant he will probably look for the mother's maiden name of Faulkner, as your birth was recorded in both names I would put Faulkner as your surname on tree.

em77

em77 Report 11 Sep 2017 23:39

Ok thanku... and yes i noticed my birth was recorded under both names... is that allowed?? My birth certificate has billington on it..... which is not my dad!!! :-(

em77

em77 Report 11 Sep 2017 23:43

Iv put both names under my tree faulkner billington.... fingers crossed :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Sep 2017 10:46

The birth register reflects the parents surnames. So if a mother wasn't married to the father (& he gave permission) both his name and the mother's are recorded on the certificate.

Let's take a hypothetical example.
John Smith & Mary Brun , an unmarried couple, have a child together who they name Susan.
The entry on the index will show
Smith, Susan (mother's maiden name) Brun
Brun, Susan (mother's mother name) Brun.

Rather than create a tree entry using a double-barrelled surname, try changing it to one of the surnames & duplicating the entry as if you were your own half sister to reflect the 2nd one.

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Sep 2017 11:07

Em, when I search trees only your surname Billington shows up, that will probably not be what Graham would look for if he cannot remember his friends surname?+++DetEcTive+++ has made a very good suggestion, I would follow her advice so both surnames show in a search :-)