Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

trying to find my partners father

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen-Marie

Helen-Marie Report 26 Mar 2018 22:39

my partner has never known his dad, never met him and has very very little information to go on. we thought we had found him but turns out we had the wrong guy.
we do have a name for him and a medical card from 1984 with an address on he must of been living in at the time.

can anyone help me with information how to find out where he may be now ?

we're both in our mid 20's but have a young child ourselves and are clueless about how all of this works. we're just desperate to find him.

we've tried to search through electoral rolls but just seem to be hitting a dead end every time

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 27 Mar 2018 07:26

When you say you have tried electoral rolls was that for the address known in 1984.?

Was anyone else shown at that address who might be able to give added information?

The old electoral lists will probably be at a main library or archive local to the address.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 Mar 2018 09:50

If you would like to send me his name and approximate year of birth by personal message (click on my name in green at the top of my post and type a message in the box that comes up then click on submit) I will have a look to see if I can find him on the electoral registers on Findmypast website.

Kath. x

Helen-Marie

Helen-Marie Report 27 Mar 2018 10:42

Thank you kim
See as far as we are aware he was born raised and lives on a city different to us so our main history centre was useless as they only held local info x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 Mar 2018 11:10

Have replied to your message with a possible address if he stayed in the same town but the name is quite common so he could be anywhere.

Kath. x

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 27 Mar 2018 17:34

Have you checked electoral rolls for 1984 to see who was living with him?

Rose

Helen-Marie

Helen-Marie Report 27 Mar 2018 18:54

Yeah we can't seem to find anything with that address for him from the medical card for that year

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Mar 2018 06:38

As has been posted The electoral rolls for that time will be at the main library for the area . They won't be online or at your local library

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 30 Mar 2018 23:07

Just to Helen-Marie is clear

The electoral rolls for 1984 at the main library are indexed by street address.

You would be able to look that address up in 1984 and get the names of everyone living there.

Where you are lucky already is that you have the address, since that is the only way to search the physical electoral roll records. You can look before and after 1984 too, in case it helps.

If you were very lucky, you would find him on the electoral roll living with his family, so you would then have other ways of looking for him through family members.

You do have to go to the city where the library holds the records.

If you want to give the name of the city, it may be that another member here who lives locally could do the search for you if they are going to the library (you could give them the name and address privately).

Helen-Marie

Helen-Marie Report 30 Mar 2018 23:31

Thank you for clarifying that for me i understand now. Yes unfortunately it is in another city. I'm more than happy to share the information I have if anyone would be willing to help me?

The address we have is a Doncaster address x

Flip

Flip Report 31 Mar 2018 13:25

Sorry if this double posts, my connection went down.

If you are London based and can visit the British Library on Euston Road the ERs are available from 1947 to 2002, and the open register (ie those who haven't opted out) from 2003. See here:

https://www.bl.uk/collection-guides/uk-electoral-registers

Might be another option if no one comes forward from the Doncaster area.

Helen-Marie

Helen-Marie Report 31 Mar 2018 15:37

I'm based in Hull x

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 31 Mar 2018 16:23

Helen-Marie, maybe go to the Genealogy Chat forum and make a request with the heading

Doncaster library lookup

You don't need to put any details, just say that you would appreciate an electoral roll lookup for a name and address you will provide by private message if someone can do it.

(And be sure to add to the thread if you get private replies, that someone has offered.)

If anybody starts asking in the thread about your search, just say you have a thread on the Living Relatives board and it seems that the electoral roll in the 1980s is the only place you can start to find info.

Helen-Marie

Helen-Marie Report 22 Apr 2018 13:15

hi everyone thanks for your help unfortunately our memebership runs out in 3 days for gene reunited as we cant afford to keep paying it each month.

just a quick update we have managed to get a copy of my partners dads birth certificate which has given us the name of his mum and dad and from that we have traced them through the electoral rolls up to 2014

the only issue we have now is trying to locate contact details for them if anyone can help i'd really appreciate it.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Apr 2018 13:31

When your membership expires, you can still be contacted by other paying members, as long as you don't delete your account.

Please remove your e-mail address - not allowed on the boards. And unwise to post it on such a public forum, where it can be abused.

Why don't you write to the 2014 address - very tactfully - and enclose an SAE

You shouldn't put their names on here - they are entitled to privacy - and there are site guidelines with regard to info about living epeople

Sorry if I sound negative, but it's not meant that way, and I do wish you luck in your quest.

Helen-Marie

Helen-Marie Report 22 Apr 2018 14:15

Thank you I have removed the information ?

Could you tell me what an SAE is please?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Apr 2018 15:44

SAE is an envelope addressed to yourself, and preferably with a stamp on it, to make it easy for someone to reply. (Self Addressed Envelope - or Stamped Addressed Envelope)

They may still be at the 2014 address. If they have opted out of the public ER after that, they won't show up online.

Have you tried looking them up in the BT online phonebook?
If they're there, that would confirm they're still at that address.
But if they don't show up, it doesn't necessarily mean they've moved. They might not have a landline, or might be ex-directory .

https://www.thephonebook.bt.com/person/

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Apr 2018 10:14

Have you looked to see if he has siblings that can be followed up on

Have you looked to see if he married

Helen-Marie

Helen-Marie Report 23 Apr 2018 10:23

We searched everything we could for his dad but everything kept coming to a dead end.... The age was wrong... The area was wrong... Etc we have extremely little information to go on

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 23 Apr 2018 16:27

Hi Helen-Marie, I don't think we know what you mean by the age was wrong, the area was wrong. I'm not sure how you know it is the right birth certificate if all the information is different.

But are you going to try to contact his parents at their last known address?

Or do you mean those aren't his parents after all?