Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DAD and BROTHER

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Murphy

Murphy Report 22 Jul 2018 21:06

Hi everyone,
I’m looking for my dad and brother ,
Iv checked on deaths not there so very much alive.
They both have the same name :

Joseph guy Dyer
Dad born 1921 brother 1940 my family originate
From Newcastle so they are both geordies , last
Know area for them was Romford area in Essex
Iv sent letters to the last known address
But sadly no reply any information how ever small
Would be a great help , we’re all getting older and
Life’s too short ????

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Jul 2018 22:01

Can't see a Newcastle 1921 birth. There is one for Gateshead reg district

Who did he marry ?

Murphy

Murphy Report 22 Jul 2018 22:42

I can’t see that it matters really where they were born ??? I just need to find them urgent if any one knows off them it would be a great help

Murphy

Murphy Report 22 Jul 2018 22:45

I have family still up north and they don’t live there , more Essex / London way

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Jul 2018 23:07

Sorry but if you want help then identifying them is the first step

No one can just come up with info without knowing who exactly who is being looked for and to try and follow them to identity the right family

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 22 Jul 2018 23:11

Can find Guy on the ERs up until 2009. Can you pm me the address you have and I will see if I can find a more recent one.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Jul 2018 23:31

Death registration indexes on line only go up to 2006.

If your father has died since then, his estate might have gone to probate if it was large enough. https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills
Although there's no entry, it doesn't mean he is still alive.

Have you tried writing to the neighbours of the last know address? They may be able to tell you where they are.
You can also 'google' the address to see when it was last sold. It won't work if they lived in rented accommodation.

Murphy

Murphy Report 22 Jul 2018 23:49

I just need to know the where abouts off my my dad and brother Iv given there name and birth year Thankyou

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 23 Jul 2018 00:54

You say that you can't see that it really matters where they were born. Trying to find someone, sometimes means finding other members of their family first and this can only be done if we know that we have the correct birth and then we can look for siblings of your father or brother who may have information that will help.

We are not being nosey - just trying to help, but that means having as much information as possible.

Kath. x

Murphy

Murphy Report 23 Jul 2018 08:24

Dad and brother were not spoken to by rest off family so they can’t give input I have given full name and birth date most off family are dead now I am the sibling my dads siblings all dead so nothing else I can give

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Jul 2018 09:05

Well there is like who dad married and did the brother marry etc

Afraid just names don't identify the right people

Names are not unique in a lot of cases so it's identitying the right ones to see if can follow up on

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Jul 2018 09:08

Have you written to the neighbours at the last known address?
Write again to ‘The Residents’ at the address you have, but as if to a third party. Try enclosing a SAE.

Since 2002, it’s been possible to opt out of the commercial electoral roll. These are the ones shown on subscription sites we would use. The main one, unconnected to family history, is 192.com. Using a free search, the only entry is for a Joe Gareth Dyer, not Joe or Joseph Guy Dyer.

Contact the nearest library to the address to ask if they hold copies of the ER. If they do, ask them to check if your relatives are still at that address. It’s possible the ER can only be accessed at the Council offices. Unless you can visit in person, they will probably make a charge. (ER are listed by address, not surname)

Try the online phone book https://www.thephonebook.bt.com for the last known general area

Many people retire abroad, France & Spain being popular destinations. Although both countries have online phone books, they have to be searched by individual county equivalents.

Assuming your father is still alive, he’d be 97 now. You might consider a speculative search for a death certificate via GRO at £9.25 a time.
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
One of the pages asks if you have a GRO reference. Click No. They can search by name & dob.

As much as we’d like to help you, no one on GR can give you information if it’s not online.

Murphy

Murphy Report 23 Jul 2018 10:05

Thanks for the link no good for me Iv registered and the fegistered birthdate only goes up to 1917 I need to put in 1921
it does not go any higher so I can’t search to see if my dad
Is deceased or not

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Jul 2018 10:37

I’ve tried, ticked No.
Had to say which year he died in. Chose 2015. Asked to give age at death. 2015-1921 = 94. Made up a 1921 dob. It does ask for place of death which is obviously a problem. Perhaps you were using a different section? It sounds as you were looking for a birth reg, rather than ordering a death certificate.

Try contacting GRO for advice, details here
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/contact_us.asp

Have you thought of using a people tracing service such as the Salvation Army? They’d probably want a payment.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Jul 2018 10:53

Three marriages in Essex for Joseph G Dyer

1979, 1986 and 2000

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Jul 2018 11:00

Here's where to look for a Will - bear in mind that it will only show online if it has gone to Probate

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Jul 2018 11:07

Joseph snr married in AMJ 1940 - Joseph jnr was born JFM 1940.

Another boy was born in 1944, and a girl in 1960 (in Ilford)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Jul 2018 11:24

Murphy - a non subscribing member has followed up on the 2000 marriage. They believe the wife may have died & left a Will.

The Probate calendar entry reads
DYER MARY JOAN 03 February 2015 4508711 (died) 22 December 2014 Grant and will Winchester.

Go to https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills which has been mentioned several times earlier & repeat the search.
Surname Dyer
Year 2014
Forename Mary.

Once you have found the correct entry, you can order a copy of the Will etc for £10. Names & address might take you a little further forward in your search. Even if they aren’t Dyers, they might have useful information.

Murphy

Murphy Report 23 Jul 2018 13:30

Thanks everyone I was given an address for my brother Joseph guy dyer
From a member in here Marian Lawson court I have rung them they said a Joseph guy dyer was there but no longer , it’s a sheltered housing wouldn’t tell me if he’d left or died so I’m no further forward they wouldn’t even say if he’s still alive
Or not !! I even said I’d hand over my number for them to pass onto him but they weren’t having it HELP !!!!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Jul 2018 13:39

No-one should give you info about someone without the permission of the person concerned. And certainly not on the phone.

GDPR has strengthened privacy laws