Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Australian help needed re Carol Pilkington

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

theresa

theresa Report 7 Sep 2018 07:36

Hi Im looking for Carol Pilkington born 1948/9 on behalf of a school friend. Who emigrated to Australia in the 1960s with her family. Thanks

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Sep 2018 10:16

Just in case they were listed under immigration & naturalisation on the Australian National Archives web site, there is the following family. Unfortunately it doesn't give their DOB or when they travelled.

PILKINGTON William, Elizabeth [nee xxx], Carol Ann, Jean, Margaret, Stephen, Dennis John [Migrant Selection Documents]
Contents date range 1965 - 1965

Does your friend know if Carol had brothers? They might be easier to find as their surnames are unlikely to have changed. Australian privacy laws mean that recent B,M & D aren't available on line.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Sep 2018 10:34

Using the edited mmn, the children's births were registered

Carol A 1949 Bolton (might have been born late 1948 & reg the following year)
Jean 1950 Bolton
Margaret 1952 Bolton
Stephen 1957 Mansfield
Dennis John 1963 Mansfield

If we can't directly find Carol, we might be able to find a sibling, or even a relative who didn't emigrate.

Feed back please?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Sep 2018 10:43

Posting in case its relevant

Australia, Electoral Rolls, 1903-1980
Elizabeth Pilkington
Electoral Year: 1977
Subdistrict: Bentley
State: Western Australia
District: Tangney
Also a William Pilkington, bus driver.

No other Pilkingtons at the address - Dennis & Stephen would have been too young. The girls could have married or moved away. Of course, it could be an entirely different family!

theresa

theresa Report 7 Sep 2018 11:50

Thank you that sounds like the right one as Mansfield is where she went to school

theresa

theresa Report 7 Sep 2018 12:17

Ive just been looking at marriages and births and Elizabeth Carr[which was the children's mothers maiden name] married a William Pilkington in 1945 so I'm sure that is the family. Not sure what to do next, any ideas. Thank you once again

Flip

Flip Report 7 Sep 2018 12:55

I think there may have been an older brother born in 1947 - Michael. He was registered Farnworth, which is within 3 miles of Bolton, and it looks like he didn't go with the family to Australia if Det's family is the right one.

theresa

theresa Report 7 Sep 2018 16:00

Yes that could be another brother mothers maiden name is the same. Thankyou

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Sep 2018 16:42

Try editing your title to include ‘in Australia’.
Valerie, another GR member, is a dab hand at tracing our Australian relatives. The title will help to catch her eye.

You could try Facebook & other social media sites? Or go back a generation in the hope of finding a cousin who has kept in touch.

theresa

theresa Report 7 Sep 2018 16:47

Thanks for your suggestions

Valerie

Valerie Report 9 Sep 2018 03:14

Hi Theresa (yes - here I am!)

I notice a William Pilkington d 1991 age 69yrs at Cannington (Perth suburb)
Also an Elizabeth Pilkington d 2014 age 89yrs at St James (same district).

The 'West Australian State Library' (on-line) has an 'Ask a Librarian' service - they will check/trace electoral rolls for both Stephen (b1957) and Dennis (b1963). (we have compulsory voting here so they should appear on the rolls).

('White pages' no longer help... most of us have now 'gone mobile'!)

Valerie
Albany WAus

Valerie

Valerie Report 9 Sep 2018 06:12

Cont:

Our 'West Australian' (daily) newspaper has a 'Can you help?' column every Monday.
You may like to place a message for Carol? (no charges).

[email protected]

Valerie
Albany WAus

theresa

theresa Report 9 Sep 2018 18:32

Thank you Valerie will ask my friend if she would like to do that. If you have any other ideas they would be much appreciated. I have a sister out in Sydney but dont think that she would be up for any detective work. Thanks again Theresa

Kay????

Kay???? Report 9 Sep 2018 20:47

CURRENT CITY AND HOME TOWN

Perth, Western Australia
Current city

Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
Home Town.

Facebook profile for Margaret.

theresa

theresa Report 9 Sep 2018 22:30

Sorry Kay i dont quite understand what your saying who is Margaret

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Sep 2018 23:48

Carol's sister?

theresa

theresa Report 10 Sep 2018 09:34

Hi Kay do you know Margarets surname thanks

theresa

theresa Report 10 Sep 2018 09:55

Many thanks for everyones help Ive just sent a message to Margaret will let you know if I get a reply. Once again many thanks Theresa

theresa

theresa Report 12 Sep 2018 10:45

Just thought that I would let the people who helped know that i have been in contact with Margaret and that she is Carols sister.Once again many thanks theresa

theresa

theresa Report 12 Sep 2018 10:45

Just thought that I would let the people who helped know that i have been in contact with Margaret and that she is Carols sister.Once again many thanks theresa