Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for my couisn surname Stangi

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Doreen

Doreen Report 19 Dec 2022 19:26

My Aunt Winifred Sophie May Markham ahd a daughter Margaret Dawn Markham born 1940 in Witney, Oxon. And I beileve she married to Stangi and she passed away in 2018 at Llanelli, Wales.

I would love to know more and get some photos of close relatives I have never had the pleasure to meet. Any ideas or details anyone would like to uncover would be fantastic.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 Dec 2022 20:30

Doreen
It is extremely unlikely that anyone with knowledge of them would spot your post.

Try looking at search members trees for family members. You could try looking at FreeBMD for Margaret’s marriage and any possible children.

Edit: Margaret is on 4 trees on Ancestry. The Butler tree has some interesting comments and may be a blood relative.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Dec 2022 21:00

Connected thread title Winifred Mary Sophia Gurney
Can’t give link as I’m using iPad

Buy a copy of the death cert for informant’s details and hope it was a relative

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Dec 2022 21:13

The other thread, containing all the info we could find about Margaret - which isn't much:

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1400837

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Dec 2022 21:17

Have you tried contacting the funeral directors who conducted Margaret's funeral - contact details in the funeral notice to which there is a link on page 2 of the other thread?

They may be able to pass on a letter from you to the family, if any.

There's also a phone number for a Deb Chapman - I don't know who she is.
Could be a friend or relative, though my guess is that she's someone to do with the church.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Dec 2022 21:32

In 2002, a Margaret Markham was living in New Dock Street, Llanelli, per the Electoral Roll.

Margaret Stangi was "of New Dock, Llanelli" in the funeral notice.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Dec 2022 21:37

There is no mention of ANY relatives in the funeral notice

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Dec 2022 21:45

Further searching produces this for Deb Chapman, with the same phone number as in the funeral notice:

https://en-gb.facebook.com/llanellistar/posts/arts-hub-for-llanelli-town-centredeborah-chapman-of-antioch-centre-is-conducting/1330366820318394/

(Although, that entry is from 2017.
If you Google her name, adding Llanelli, there are more recent results for her.)

So she's not a relative, but a friend, or perhaps arranged the funeral if Margaret had no close family to do so. She might be able to tell you something of Margaret's later years.
As ErikaH says, no family are mentioned.

In a message beside the funeral notice, a Roger Butler says he would like to make contact with family members.
Here's a 2019 thread by him, looking for family, mentioning Margaret on page 4:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=819294.0

He says the undertakers forwarded a letter from him to relatives.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 20 Dec 2022 09:02

See my post of yesterday (19th) at 20.20.

The Butler tree on Ancestry is run by Roger Butler who is still active on there.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Dec 2022 10:34

Roger Butler says that Margaret was his aunt, but he never knew her................

Apparently, his father was Winifred's illegitimate son, who was put up for adoption

Births Mar 1925 (>99%)
Gurney Arthur D Gurney Romford 4a 879

That route would appear to be a dead end as far as Doreen's request is concerned.

She really needs to contact the person named in the funeral notice

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 21 Dec 2022 13:28

Even so, it would be a great shame if Doreen didn’t make contact with Roger.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Dec 2022 14:29

She needs to contact both of them.
For knowledge (hopefully ) of Margaret's later years in Llanelli, Doreen needs to contact Deb, but she also needs to contact Roger for possible family info - even though he doesn't appear to know any more about Margaret's marriage or who Mr Stangi might have been, than we do.
Margaret doesn't seem to have had children.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Dec 2022 15:06

Roger is himself looking for help with his father’s birth family, so she may be able to enlighten him…………

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Dec 2022 08:13

Someone who may be Doreen's daughter has posted in the last couple of days, seeking info re Margaret :

https://www.facebook.com/groups/llanellipastandpresent/posts/3100921890152686/

Perhaps that will produce some results.

Doreen

Doreen Report 22 Dec 2022 10:33

That’s me on Facebook message. Roger and I are looking for Margaret Dawn Stangi and also possible her sister Alma M Markham both sisters was Roger’s Grandfather’s sisters. I have contacted Deb on her Facebook messenger but no response yet. It’s pity we would like to know about her.

Other Sister Alma M Markham, doubt whether she lived in Devon.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Dec 2022 10:40

Why don’t you try the phone number provided?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 Dec 2022 10:56

Alma was born in 1929 in West Ham. She probably married Leslie Newton in East Ham in 1947.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Dec 2022 11:29

Leslie's death:

NEWTON, LESLIE EDWIN JAMES 1927
GRO Reference: DOR Q4/2009 in CHELMSFORD (4681C) Reg 1C006 Entry Number 502549172

Leslie Edwin James Newton
in the UK and Ireland, Find a Grave Index, 1300s-Current
Name: Leslie Edwin James Newton
Birth Date: 31 Mar 1927
Death Date: 31 Dec 2009
Cemetery: Maldon Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place: Maldon, Maldon District, Essex, England
Has Bio?: N

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Dec 2022 11:41

I don't see Alma (as Newton) in ERs, nor any sign of a death.
She's still a closed record in 1939, on Ancestry at least.

There's a possible remarriage in 1958 in East Ham.

That 1958 couple were living in Devon in 2002.
They (and that Alma's middle name is also Mary) lived in Bedfordshire from at least 1972, and were co-directors of an electronics company in Bedfordshire from 1978 until 1997.

That Alma (if a different person) seems also to be still living.

The 2002 address was sold in 2002.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 Dec 2022 14:02

If she is still alive then she is probably in a care/ nursing home at that age.