Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ww1 campaign medal

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Veronica

Veronica Report 5 Nov 2014 18:12

I have a ww1 george V campaign medal (1914-1918)
It is stamped 2260 Pte. D. Hodson ( or Hudson). Is there a way to find who this person was as I do not know how it came into the family or even if there is a family connection?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 5 Nov 2014 19:42

Is there anything else stamped on it,,,,,,,?a corps or regiment, it usually does,

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 5 Nov 2014 21:48

This is the nearest match I can see on medal cards:

British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920
Name: Charles Hudson
Regiment or Corps: Royal Army Medical Corps
Regimental Number: 2260

Rank on image is Private. Awarded the Victory, British War and 15 Star medals.

I think (someone will tell me if I'm wrong!) that the George V campaign medal is what is known as the British War Medal

Kay????

Kay???? Report 5 Nov 2014 22:23

MC.

That regimental number shows against many other records for others,,,,,,

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 6 Nov 2014 08:31

It does Kay???? but that was the only one I came across with the surname that Veronica mentioned.

Did you find other Hodson/Hudsons (I must have missed them!)

Kay????

Kay???? Report 6 Nov 2014 11:32

2260 applied to one of the many Rifle Brigades/Labour Corps of which there were many,and didnt do any active service abroard ,,,,,,,,,,,,often there is no service records just the medal card.

Veronica

Veronica Report 6 Nov 2014 15:29

Thanks, Kay & MarieCeleste, there are no other details on the medal, but you have given me some other possible sources. I did think (wrongly) that 2260 was his number not the regiments,so thanks for putting me right there.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 6 Nov 2014 22:57

Since the Defence Review of 2260 the TAVR consists of two types of recruits. Ex-regular Reserve soldiers who serve out their reserve commitment in their local units, and Volunteers from the area with no previous military experience. There are also Regular Army Special Reserves (mostly Officers and SNCO) who can be called up directly, but serve with no unit.

just a snippet that seems likely to apply here,

Denis

Denis Report 7 Nov 2014 09:52

Sorry, but surely 2260 IS his number and not of a Regiment? What was being said was that there quite a few soldiers found with the number 2260 but only one with the surname Hudson. And what is the "Defence Review of 2260"? Am I being dim?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 7 Nov 2014 11:51

You cant have the same service number for more than one man,,,,,,,I have WW1 medals for more than one person and each has their own number as found on their service record,

2260 is a regimental number and not a person personal service number.

Potty

Potty Report 7 Nov 2014 12:29

Actually, Kay, I think you can have more than one person with the same Regimental No - originally service numbers were allocate regiment by regiment, so the same numbers were duplicated in different regiments. To have had a WW1 medal, the recipient had to have served overseas, so your references to 2260 wouldn't apply to this record card.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 7 Nov 2014 15:31

Yes Potty you are correct,,,,,but 2260 applied to many of the regiments,,,,,,,usually the Corps and Rifle....

everyone was awarded,

British War Medal and the Victory Medal,

the Star being awared to those who was on the front line,

Not all served on the front line,,,,,,,and did the duties on the home front,,,,,ie Stores/office work.barbers,

If D Hodson/Hudson was such a person then 2 medals would have been awared but there will be no service record so Veronica will have a job finding any details on him,as 2260 was widley used,,,,,,2260 is not a service number,,but attached to a regiment,,,,,,,Warwick Reg 2260,Manchester Reg2260..the list is endless..

My own gt-uncle had 2 medals but didnt set foot outside England,,,,,,,he worked on food supplies to the camps,,,,,,,so no active service record,,,,,,,,

Veronica

Veronica Report 7 Nov 2014 18:05

Thanks everyone for your input. Does seem as though I have hit a brick wall.
Will continue seeing if there is a family connection with his name.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 8 Nov 2014 10:42

http://www.circlecity.co.uk/wartime/board/index.php?pag

Veronica try the link above,Alan may be able to shed some light for you or pointers.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 8 Nov 2014 23:41

Kay

Everyone DIDN'T get the Victory and British Medals - they had to have served overseas. The 2 Star Medals were awarded to those who served overseas on particular dates.

I have no idea why you say there would be no service record - there may well not be as so many were destroyed in WW2, but it has nothing to do with where he served. Your reply is very misleading

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 8 Nov 2014 23:47

Veronica

What is the regiment on the medal?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 9 Nov 2014 09:30

"the Defence Review of 2260" is from a work of fiction about the British Army in 2300AD, sometime after the "Twilight War"!! It can be found here http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~dheb/2300/Europe/UK/UK/BAIntro.htm

Scroll down to the "Territorial Army Volunteers & Reserves" section and click on the Infantry link - that takes you to the section that Kay???? quoted from. As you scroll down you'll see the Author's Note at the top "These articles, although based on the modern and historic British Army, are works of fiction." :-)

Going back to factual information, this site is as good as any about describing the issue of WW1 medals http://www.greatwar.co.uk/medals/ww1-campaign-medals.htm

I've been heavily involved with our local WW1 commemoration project, we've now researched over 2,000 men from the borough who died and have seen quite a few service records for men who never left the country.

Denis

Denis Report 9 Nov 2014 09:34

Veronica

If you can list the exact marks on the edge of the medal for us that might help. The Regiment usually comes just after the name but can be an abbreviation that might mean very little unless you know what you are looking for.

Kay

Time to start dealing with facts. 2260 is the number of the Charles Hudson found by Marie Celeste. It is a service number that was also held by others in other regiments. It is NOT, repeat NOT, a number of a regiment. The 1914 Star has nothing to do with being in the front line. It was a matter of serving in France or Belgium between August 5th 1914, and midnight of November 22/23rd, 1914 in any capacity. That included many civilians, nurses and staff back in base well away from any action.. Anyone who has a genuine interest in learning about these medals should follow this link:

http://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/themedals.html

Veronica

Veronica Report 9 Nov 2014 11:45

The medal I have is the 1914-18 british war medal. Inscribed on the edge is 2260 PTE. D. HODSON (or Hudson) R.A.M.C.

Guessing that is the Royal Army Medical Corps?

The surname is slightly distorted on the one letter.

Veronica

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 9 Nov 2014 12:32

The fact that no medal card can be found for this 'medal' does not surprise me

My own grandfather had the standard 3 WW1 medals (known as Pip, Squeak and Wilfred) yet there is no card for him. Nor a couple of his cousins.

We all know that only 30% of all WW1 records survived WW2, so I do wonder if some of the medal cards were also lost.