Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ARTHUR BALFOUR BARLOW

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 10 Mar 2015 15:07

SERVED IN THE DLI BEFORE THE FIRST WORLD WAR. CAN FIND NO RECORD OF HIM AFTER THE 1911 CENSUS. HE LIVED IN SEAHAM, COUNTY DURHAM AMD WAS THE SON OF ROBERT BARLOW AND HAD A BROTHER WILLIAM BARLOW.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Mar 2015 16:24

About 70% of WW1 records were destroyed in a fire so it is possible that his records have not survived.

I can't find them on Findmypast.

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Mar 2015 16:43

In the off-chance it will get us somewhere, his birth
Name: Arthur Balfour Barlow
Registration Year: 1893
Registration Quarter: Apr-May-Jun
Registration district: Easington
Inferred County: Durham
Volume: 10a
Page: 444

The 1911 shows that he was known as Balfour
Name: Balfour Barlow
[Arthur Balfour Barlow]
Age in 1911: 18
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1893
Relation to Head: Son (Child)
Birth Place: New Seaham, Durham, England
Civil Parish: Seaham
County/Island: Durham
Street address: Old Mill Cottages New Seaham
Registration district: Easington
Registration District Number: 552
Sub-registration district: Dawdon
ED, institution, or vessel: 14
Piece: 30033
Household Members:
Name Age
Robert Barlow 73
Balfour Barlow 18
William Barlow 7

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 10 Mar 2015 20:35

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1319440

(above looks to relate)

Births Dec 1903 (>99%)
---------------------------------------------------------------
BARLOW William Foster Easington 10a 500

(Brother)

Chris :)

edits (below refers to posting by safc on other 'Thread')

Merchant Seamen Transcription (Find My Past)

First name(s) WM FROSTER
Last name Barlow (Rating. Galley Boy)
Birth year 1903
Birth day 18
Birth month November
Birth place Seaham Colliery
Birth county Durham
Place SEAHAM COLLIERY
Identity certificate number 812923
Card type CR10
Date range 1918-1921
Series BT350

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 10 Mar 2015 22:24

Ancestry has 3 Medal Cards in the name of Arthur Barlow -Durham Light Infantry

But no way of knowing if any are the right man or not

What evidence do you have of him serving in the DLI

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 11 Mar 2015 07:06

On the 1911 Census Arthur was an absent voter as he was serving with the DLI. I am not sure what happened to him although I did find a marriage for an Arthur B Barlow to an Ethel Brewster in 1934

(above from other 'Thread', but thought 1911 was Balfour above?)

Chris :)

I have been in touch a few times with Anthony Adolph to ask him if he can help.

(did you get anywhere with help from above?)

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 11 Mar 2015 08:50

Re " 1911 Census Arthur was an absent voter as he was serving with the DLI"...

Patricia...

The Arthur Balfour Barlow (1911 Census) posted by +++DetEcTive+++ shows his age being 18yrs. this man would not be of the age to vote 1911...

Where did you get the info.from relating to the Absent Voters list....??

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 11 Mar 2015 09:13

Have just looked at 1911 census he's down as 18 yr old son and a coal miner. I see nothing about being an absent military voter.

Age to vote in 1911 had to be at least 21. Not sure when it became 21 but wouldn't be less as you weren't classed as adult until 21. In about 1969/70 - just as I reached 21 it was altered to 18.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 11 Mar 2015 09:55

PatinCyprus...It was always the "Age of Majority" until as you say the late 60s...there were also other factors involved "back in the day..." being householder etc.

You can see on Patricia's previous thread mention of the absent voters list...also it would not be listed on the Census even if he was able to vote...its a completely different listing/record.

Patricia

Patricia Report 11 Mar 2015 12:41

Thank you for all your replies. I have an army number for Arthur - it is DLI number 12564. The Arthur Balfour Barlow mentioned as marrying Ethel Brewster is wrong as I did get in touch with someone related to them but he told me I had the wrong person. Without going into what could be family secrets I would like to ask how you found out that William Forster Barlow was a galley boy and have you any record of him apart from that as I found it quite interesting. There was a William Barlow who died in 1925 but I am not sure if this is the same person. This year is also relevant to my research but I can't say why at this point. A family history group in Seaham helped with a lot of information so I guess I got the Absent Voter info from them. This may sound confusing to you all - it is to me - so I hope I have cleared something up.

Potty

Potty Report 11 Mar 2015 12:58

His medal card:

Name:Arthur Barlow
Regiment or Corps:Durham Light Infantry
Regimental Number:12564

He served in France from 25/8/1915; received all 3 medals as well as the Silver War Badge. The SWB image shows that he enlisted 12/8/1914 and was discharged 7/04/1919:

Name:Arthur Barlow
Discharge Unit:3rd D. L. I.
Regiment:Durham Light Infantry
Regimental Number:12564
Badge Number:B212724
Piece:3149
List Number:O 3601/1-4000/2
Record Group:WO
Record Class:329

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 11 Mar 2015 14:10

I am after wondering if the date for the AVL wasn't 1918..(A General Election was held that year)...The previous one was Dec.1910.and he would not have been eligible to vote...The dates of service listed above would make the date of 1918 more appropriate

Patricia

Patricia Report 11 Mar 2015 14:27

I have been trying to find out if he got married and had children and grand-children. I have been in touch with a few people trying to find out about the Barlows but so far have drawn a blank Some people replied others didn't bother.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 11 Mar 2015 14:47

Is it possible, with his brother, the 2 emigrated?

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 11 Mar 2015 15:04

looking at the Merchant Seamen Transcription posted by Chris there is actually a picture of William

Patricia

Patricia Report 11 Mar 2015 15:26

There is an Arthur Barlow who died in 1922 at the age of 28 so this could possibly be him. As for both emigrating it could be a possibility but I have reasons for doubting it. I do not want to make the reasons public so would welcome any private messages. Glitterbaby - how would I be able to see a picture of William?

Patricia

Patricia Report 11 Mar 2015 15:47

Saw the message again about William from Chris. I am not on find My Past.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 11 Mar 2015 17:13

Patricia.. What has happened to your other thread...? I have just tried to cross ref.something and its saying "Thread does not exist"

Patricia

Patricia Report 11 Mar 2015 18:29

ooh! sorry - I deleted it as it has been on there for quite a while and it got me nowhere

Patricia

Patricia Report 11 Mar 2015 18:40

What was it you were you trying to check?