Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Which regiment

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carole

Carole Report 23 Jul 2015 13:23

My grandfather Reginald Smith is in a family photo in 1916/17 but I cannot tell which regiment he was in. He was born and lived in Oxford all his life. How can I attach the photo to see if anyone can find any record about him?

Potty

Potty Report 23 Jul 2015 13:50

Do you have any more info on him? When born and father's name? There is a service record for a Reginald Smith, b1893 Lewknor, Oxford, father George, on Ancestry. Could this be him?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 23 Jul 2015 16:03

You can put the photo in your keepsafe and make it public so anyone can see it. Then give us the link to the page.

Kath. x

Carole

Carole Report 23 Jul 2015 22:51

Reply to Potty - No he was born in Hurst Street, Oxford and his father was not George. Thanks for trying. :-)

Carole

Carole Report 23 Jul 2015 22:52

Reply to Kathleen Bell,
I do have the photo in Keepsake, I will make it public if I can figure that out.
Thanks. :-)

Carole

Carole Report 23 Jul 2015 23:00

Kath how do I make the photo public for you to see?
Carole.
:-(

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 23 Jul 2015 23:04

Sorry Carole - I have no idea. I know it can be done though as I have been able to see other people's photos from their keepsafe.

Kath. x

Potty

Potty Report 24 Jul 2015 12:45

To be honest, Carole, I don't think a photo will help us find anything but if you want to post it, I think you have to open the photo in Keepsake, copy the address in your browser bar and then post it as a link in a post.

We would have a much better chance of finding something if you could give us some more details - his DOB and parents names; was he married at the time?

Carole

Carole Report 24 Jul 2015 23:16

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/relatives/profile/keepsafe/333116996

Hi Potty & Kathleen,

Is this the address you need to access my grandfathers photo in uniform.

He is Reginald Edwin Walton Rueben Smith born 11.5.1894, born in Hurst Street, Oxford. He married Elsie Rose nee Payne December 1914. The picture is at the end of 1916 or early 1917 with their first son born July 1916. His father was Arthur John Smith married to Ada nee Markham. Reginald E W R Smith was probably living at 7 Grove Street, Summertown, Oxford before he was married and possibly when he joined the army. Possibly married around the time he joined up but I do not know for sure.

Hope this helps,
from
Carole.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 24 Jul 2015 23:58

Hi Carole

I don't know why but the link you give takes me to a list of my own relatives in my tree and blurred out photos of two people that are definitely NOT in my tree. It must be a glitch with Genes.

Is this the birth of the first son:-

First name(s) CYRIL R
Last name SMITH
Birth year 1916
Birth quarter 3
Registration month -
Mother's last name PAYNE
District HEADINGTON
County Oxfordshire
Country England
Volume 3A
Page 1906

Do you have the birth certificate? If he was in the army when the child's birth was registered then his regiment and army number may be on the birth certificate.

Kath. x

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 25 Jul 2015 22:45

You can make your photo available for all to see by pointing your cursor at it and clicking on edit. Down the right hand side of the screen click on privacy settings and change it to the one for all to see.

While the photo is the only one on the screen, the link should be the url at the top of the screen, unless there's a glitch. I tried the link above and had the same result as Kath.

Carole

Carole Report 26 Jul 2015 22:06

To Kath.

Cyril is the first son of 3.
I do not have his birth certificate but could get one.
Maybe that would help.

from
Carole.

Carole

Carole Report 26 Jul 2015 22:13

To Andysmum,

Thanks for the information, I have taken the privacy setting from the photo now so Kath should be able to access now.
from
Carole.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Jul 2015 23:02

Hi Carole

You still need to give us the link to the page before we can see anything in your keepsafe. The link you gave earlier still does not work.

Kath. x

Carole

Carole Report 27 Jul 2015 23:29

Hi Kath,

I do not know what else to do apart from uploading the photo to this thread. Do not know how to do this or how to find any other link.
from
Carole.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Jul 2015 23:40

Reading of the problems allowing access to Carole's photo.

Just to check that its not a system problem, see if this is visible
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/keepsafe/asset/details/5068594

Its a picture of daffodils, previously used as an avatar. The Privacy setting is set to 'shared with everyone'

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Jul 2015 23:46

Might have worked out what has happened. Compare Caroles url with mine
Carole
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/relatives/profile/keepsafe/333116996

Mine
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/keepsafe/asset/details/5068594

Mine says Asset/details/(number) - Caroles says Profile/details/(number).

I think you've given the link to the soldier's profile, not his photo.

Go into your keepsafe and find the photo. Click on it so that it opens in a page by itself
Check the privacy is set to 'shared with everyone'
Copy the url from your browser bar and post again on the thread.

Carole

Carole Report 1 Sep 2015 12:13

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/_resources/keepsafe/thumb.ashx?id=914671&at=1&mk=4115572&ok=4115572&c=False&ff=False&pl=1&w=640&h=640&q=70&as=0&rk=&d=http://cdn.genesreunited.co.uk/_resources/images/keepsafe/notavailable_640x640.jpg&ex=455EB24FBE8026D934AD30032C4D45CC

Is this the URL you need to view the photo. Not doing very well am I. Pure amateur at this. :-(

Carole

Carole Report 1 Sep 2015 12:18

Sorry for the delay in replying to this thread, I have been very busy and not enough hours in the day to get onto Genes.

Potty

Potty Report 1 Sep 2015 14:45

I wonder if this is his medal card? The bandolier over his shoulder would indicate some connection with horses:

Name:Reginald E Smith

Regiment or Corps:Oxfordshire Yeomanry (Queen's Own Oxford Hussars), Corps of Hussars

Regimental Number:1861, 285153

The Queen's Own Oxford Hussars have a facebook page and looking at the pictures on there, the uniform is very similar to Reginalds's. Shame he wasn't wearing his cap - the badge would help. Do look at the facebookpage and see what you think.

I shall eat my words about the photo not helping!