Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Poppy - Completed

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 18 Nov 2011 13:32

Suggest you remove the poppy from the logo now, GR. Or are you planning to leave it till Christmas and pretend it's a poinsettia?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Nov 2011 14:14

I suppose it would be asking too much to have a pudsie bear :-D

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 18 Nov 2011 14:39

I'm afraid I had to google to see what a pudsie bear was. I guess we don't have him in Canada.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Nov 2011 15:14

Sorry Margee, This weekend is children in need and Pudsie is the mascot. Millions of money can be raised by the TV presentation of all sorts of daft things encouraging people to donate. This money goes to children's charities.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 18 Nov 2011 15:51

Oh, in that case I'm in favour of replacing the poppy with Pudsie.

Island

Island Report 18 Nov 2011 17:19

November is the month of the dead so I don't mind the poppy still being on site.

What a good idea though Ann, GR could have something on the logo to represent key events as and when.

When they have solved the other issues of course! *neatly side steps the flames* ;-)

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 18 Nov 2011 18:37

I guess this is another case of different traditions in different countries.

Here in Canada we wear the poppy and display it for 2-3 weeks before Remembrance Day but the day after it's gone. That's why I thought it was wrong of GR to be still displaying it.

It seems, though, that in UK you display it for the whole month of November so, once again, I'm wrong.

Island

Island Report 18 Nov 2011 18:51

Noooo, you're not wrong Margee. The poppy is worn well ahead of Remembrance Day here in the UK too and discarded soon after the Sunday. I didn't notice if they were in evidence on the TV this week.

I only meant I don't mind the poppy still being there as November is the month of the dead - Remembrance Day, All Souls Day......I'm sure there are some more.

I think Genes are just being Genes

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Nov 2011 19:11

agree ..... it's time it went

and Christmas things have no need to be posted until the week before Christmas :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Nov 2011 20:53

Peopel seem to start wearing the poppy on November 1st here .................. that's when all the news anchors, reporters, politicians, etc etc appear with a poppy on their lapel.

philmoir

philmoir Report 18 Nov 2011 23:09

Thank you for pointing this out. Will try to action asap.

philmoir

philmoir Report 18 Nov 2011 23:12

Also meant to say, i've added diary note to self for next year. And i like the other event graphics suggestion.

Joy

Joy Report 19 Nov 2011 10:08

Thank you, Phil :)

I have seen poppies worn as soon as they have gone on sale by the Royal British Legion and finished being worn on Remembrance Sunday, always the second Sunday in November.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 19 Nov 2011 13:35

Margee - you have said what I was thinking!! I, too, thought it was time for the poppy to be removed. Funny really.....GR had to be reminded to put the poppy on and now they have to be reminded to take it off.........sigh.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Nov 2011 15:32

Thank you Phil.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 19 Nov 2011 17:19

Thanks for what, Ann?
He aint dunn nuffink yet!
Sorry, Phil, you're such a nice guy but the devil made me do it.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Nov 2011 20:29

The tradition over here is to stop wearing the poppy after midnight November 11.

Joy

Joy Report 20 Nov 2011 21:36

We wear them to church on Remembrance Sunday, the second Sunday in November in the UK, this year being 13th November.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Nov 2011 03:43

Joy

our observance is always on November 11 ............... which is also a Statutory Holiday in Canada

we don't have Remembrance Sunday

wisechild

wisechild Report 21 Nov 2011 07:19

21st November.
Still there.
It´ll be time for the Christmas hats before it´s removed.
Almost as disrespectful as not having it there in the first place.