Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

'Discussion' messages on Home Page

Page 0 + 1 of 7

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Apr 2012 23:40

Get rid of them - they are a complete nonsense

All they do is encourage unwary members to dig up old threads and add posts to them

GR 'staff' should spend less time on such frivolous undertakings, and more time on putting right the countless faults which beset the site.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 21 Apr 2012 23:47

Totally agree

Rambling

Rambling Report 21 Apr 2012 23:59

Much better idea would be to get the advanced search functioning properly then one could find all the useful 'discussions' . I really don't need to know that "Cheshire " has been discussed 1000 times ... :-S

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 22 Apr 2012 00:46

Might just as well remove "Post of the day" which is just underneath "Discussions" as that is out of date so hardly the post of the day !!

jax

jax Report 22 Apr 2012 02:25

I would like to know why GR are suggesting that Jonathan "Post of the day" found his dad by posting on the living relatives board? (This is on Facebook)

It was via a message through the search trees from what I can see as Jonathan has only made one post and that was to post on success stories

I agree that Discussions are rubbish

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 22 Apr 2012 02:58

not exactly rubbish........... I thought most of them weren't "discussions", but when you have insomnia..............

I did a search for names, and found two people I'm related to....... one has responded, the other has opened the message but NOT responded.

Yes, I DID post a message on a really old thread, but I ALSO sent a message.

So why get rid of them? Doing no harm just sitting there.

I do find the "fact of the day" a bit silly.......

I'm not interested in most of the "facts" on the Home Page..... why do I want to know what's on TV in the UK? I don't live there......... I think UK members are capable of looking at a TV guide.

:-D :-D

jax

jax Report 22 Apr 2012 03:04

You can find the discussions by putting the name you are researching in the Keyword...at least that way you visit the find ancestors board.

Having this discussion thing on the home page just encourages new people to click on that and reply to old threads before they have found out how the site works

Yes I see you have replied to an old thread and if that person is no longer a paying member he cannot reply, only by pm if he is still interested

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Apr 2012 03:53

"There are over 1000 discussions on the family name Rellie"

:-D :-D :-D :-D

says it all really :-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 22 Apr 2012 05:17

most of the posts are not useful at all, but all I'm saying is - I found two posts referring to my "rellies".

I posted on the thread AND sent a PM to the people.

One has replied already - we are very distant cousins.

The other has opened my message, but not replied.

So, I've got something out of it.... and the one who replied - I think he/she will contact a cousin of mine who has a HUGE file for that family (not on GR).

I was awake at 2 in the morning........ what else is there to do then? lol :-D

jax

jax Report 22 Apr 2012 05:31

I agree you can find Rellies by searching, but GR are not telling people that replying on very old threads there is a very good chance they will not get a reply and they would stand a better chance by sending a private message.

Its 5.30 am here and I have not gone to bed yet :-D

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 22 Apr 2012 17:04

I agree, this 'discussion' business is pure nonsense. Very similar to the old Surnames board where newbies were constantly digging up out of date threads.

I feel sorry for the newbies who post on old threads in error, but It's made my contribution to the boards harder - more work.- more messages to send out........... :-(

Cx

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 22 Apr 2012 20:00

I have posted this on other threads so will add it hear.

It's nothing more than a word search.

if you go to Tools on the left, then click on quick search and then enter your surname or any other word, and click search it will return exactly the same result as the discussion fiasco

I have 669 matches on the home page and the same threads on the quick search

The difference is that with quick search you can enter any word/name or place

waste of time and time that GR could have spent on getting this site working as it should

Roy

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Apr 2012 20:01

re ..........

"There are over 1000 discussions on the family name Rellie"

one member reported on a thread, which I cannot now find, that they had actually got that very message

:-D :-D :-D :-D

seems "discussions" picks up everything you might put on your tree, even when hiding living rellies :-P

wisechild

wisechild Report 25 Apr 2012 13:38

Please do away with the "discussions" on the home page.
They are not discussions at all. They just bring up very old posts & people are answering them in good faith without realising that the original poster may not have been a member for some considerable time.
They are not helpful.

Kense

Kense Report 25 Apr 2012 14:13

The home page is much too cluttered, I rarely go there as it's much quicker to enter the site by other pages.

wisechild

wisechild Report 25 Apr 2012 14:23

Sorry Reggie.
HadnĀ“t seen your post.
Marion

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Apr 2012 01:20

Ken

I do the same ...... I have Bookmarks set at Boards Summary.

Never look at Home page, if I can possibly avoid it (ie, when having to sign in :-P )

sylvia

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 26 Apr 2012 02:37

I found some of them helpful.

We all search for matching names, but I have no idea where lots of my family went - all over the world.

But these old threads have a bit more information.

I've already been "told off" for posting on an old thread.

I have now made contact with four distant cousins from far-flung places. I wouldn't have found them using the "normal" search.

I won't post on the threads any more, it seems to annoy the h*ll out of people.

jax

jax Report 26 Apr 2012 04:00

You were not told off and you were not annoying people

You was just advised like everyone else, that the poster may not return to the thread so sending a pm would be advisable

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 26 Apr 2012 05:02

I DO realise the posters may or may not be members now.

I've been told that in many posts.

I have had replies from all BUT ONE person (which was the one to cause the cerfuffle - but he OPENED my message).

What harm is there in what I did? I really don't understand why so many people are posting about this. Posts asking for the subject to be removed, and that they are useless.

Some of us are finding relatives........ that's the point.

If you think the subject (I agree it shouldn't be called a "discussion") is useless........ don't use it!! :-D