Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tick for answered !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dea

Dea Report 30 Jun 2012 17:56

GR team - Can you PLEASE remove the box where people can tick for answered??????

All the new people are ticking it when they have answered a post, even by pm !!

Thus, their thread gets no more help!

They do not know how it works !!

All the experienced people just amend their title to mark it as 'sorted'

This serves no purpose other than to confuse !

Dea Xxx

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 30 Jun 2012 22:18

Instructions could be added under "Complete FAQ Listing" where it tells you how to add a post etc

BUT as members seem reluctant to read anything on this site I would not hold out any hope

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Jun 2012 23:41

great suggestion, Dea!

Please remove it, GR

I spend a lot of time posting on threads telling people that they have mis-used the "tick", and to please remove it if they wanted help in finding the information.

Some people even use the "tick" as an indication that they have read a post ............. even one that asks "can we please have the date or place of birth" :-S

sylvia

Joy

Joy Report 1 Jul 2012 09:27

Yes, please do.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/suggestions/thread/1286585 - and there had been another one or two more threads.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 16 Jun 2013 14:25

Bumping this up as it's still a problem and an absolute nuisance.

I can fully understand how someone new to the boards would think "Right, I've answered the question that MarieCeleste asked so I'll mark it accordingly" not knowing that the functionality behind it is totally anomalous.

What I think should happen is that the link to do so is removed from each post and there is just one link at the top of the thread saying "I don't require any further help" (or similar). That saves having to edit the thread title to add "Complete" or whatever and gives a clear indication to the poster and the helpers.

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 20 Jun 2013 07:42

I don't agree - this is one of the best features and I wish it was available on other threads.

:-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Jun 2013 07:55

NanaSue .................

do you mean that you have NEVER seen anyone tick a thread as answered, when all that has happened is a post that says ...................

"Please could you give us some more information, such as date and place of birth?"

the OP has provided that information, and then ticked the post .................

............ that's the opening post + 2 posts, and nobody else looks at the thread because it has been ticked as "answered"

The tick should mean that the question posed in the OP has been answered to the requester's satisfaction .................... not that a question posed by a helper has been answered.

IMHO .................. it is currently the most useless, distracting feature that could ever have been devised!

IF, and it is a big IF, GR could devise a means by which people would only use the tick when the thread was complete, then it would be wonderful ................... but that is not happening!

I reckon as many as 50% of "ticked" threads are not answered, and have been marked wrongly.

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 20 Jun 2013 08:13

Yes of course I have - that doesn't mean it should be removed - just means GR should use some instant messaging text boxes to explain things better before the action - that is one thing GR are very bad at.

Even with tick box it doesn't stop further posts. Those helping can see the mail going into the envelope icon

jax

jax Report 20 Jun 2013 12:39

I have noticed that if the box is "Ticked as answered" it can no longer be "Unticked"

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 20 Jun 2013 12:43

NanaSue - If you read properly what I have posted I am not saying that "marked as answered" should be abolished completely, I'm saying how the functionality should be revised.

The last paragraph of my post 16 Jun 2013 14:25 clarifies.

Persephone

Persephone Report 20 Jun 2013 12:59

Good idea MC.

jax

jax Report 11 Sep 2013 16:14

Have GR looked at this suggestion?

or shall we just ignore all threads that have been ticked in error even though they cannot be unticked?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Sep 2013 16:44

Natasha

Could you please do something about getting rid of the crazy 'marked as answered' facility..................

It is hardly ever used correctly..........

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 21 Sep 2013 16:50

Wasn't the tick as answered facility a suggestion made by our band of 'experienced' members some time back?

Perhaps the problem is not with the suggestion in principle, but the manner in which is was implemented.

jax

jax Report 21 Sep 2013 17:28

When it was first introduced the tick could be removed if clicked in error....now it cannot.

As you know so much about who asked for this "tick" business IGP... maybe you would like to give us the link

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 22 Sep 2013 11:38

I imagine that newbies would use this to indicate that they had received a reply, no necessarily with any results.

It is a totally useless add on.

As said confusing to a newbie and even confusing to those who wish to help.

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 22 Sep 2013 17:56

It's still "untickable"????

That does seem like something easy to fix.

Maureen

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 22 Sep 2013 19:51

Maureen - it is - Genes can just remove the whole thing

A complete waste of time - which would be better spent getting the site to work correctly instead of this incessant fiddling!!!!

Said before and will continue to say it:

IF IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T FIX IT......

Kense

Kense Report 22 Sep 2013 21:53

But it is broke.

Community

Community Advisor Report 26 Sep 2013 10:17

Hi everyone,

I've addressed this suggestion in my latest round-up:

- We’re looking into getting this changed. I know this has come up a few times and people have requested for its complete removal or for the wording to be changed to: “I don’t require any further help”. We are discussing both options and I will update you when I know more.

Natasha