Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Since new layout

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Treehunter

Treehunter Report 14 Sep 2012 09:51

Since new layout etc i havent been able to see icons post on some threads Even if i log out and but in again its still the same.

Also finding it ver hard to read things as to bright back ground and green or the black writing is to bright as well. Giving me headaches if i stay on to long.

Also cant get anyones updates Also cant do any search for names

Please tell me how i can fix it or if you can do it from your end.

Thank you

Hazel

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 14 Sep 2012 10:05

you may need to go to compatibility view for the Emoticons

Also see my thread

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1309077

or look at the Family Tree - UPDATED under FAQ in the help section

Roy

Treehunter

Treehunter Report 14 Sep 2012 12:36

Thanks Porkiepie i will give it ago. I can see threads most of the time but everything else goes. I logout and in again and manage to put another photo on. But then when i come back on here i have to loginn again even tho i havent logout.

Will let you know how i get on

Hazel

Susan

Susan Report 15 Sep 2012 11:57

I have to log in every time I go to Genes , never used to my computer always remembered me

Is not remembering me for some reason now...any one any idea why.

sue :-|

Kense

Kense Report 15 Sep 2012 13:49

Susan, how do you enter GR?

If you have IE9 and you enter via one of the icons to "My Most Popular Sites" it may always take you to the sign-in page.

If that is the case then, after you have signed in, go to your favourite board and set that as your favourite. Then enter via the favourite and not via the most popular site method.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 15 Sep 2012 23:13

Have you noticed on the whole of the Suggestions Board today (15th Sept) there have been only 3 posts - from Susan, KenSE et moi.

I think we are all getting a bit fed up of the lack of any sort of Announcement from Genes about what they intend to do. Even an announcemnt that we all love the new tree and are all busy building up our trees would be better than weeks of ........SILENCE

Susan

Susan Report 16 Sep 2012 04:46

KenSE

I am running IE8 and I always go through my Fav's.

I also have to re- enter into my compatability in tools everytime I want my icons back.

I know it maybe something wrong that I am doing myself but it never used to happen like this.

With all its downfalls I want the old site back PLEASE GENES :-(

Kense

Kense Report 16 Sep 2012 08:36

The thing is Susan, if your favourite for GR has become set as the sign-in page then you will always have to sign in. Try setting anotheer GR page a your favourite and enter through that.

If you upgrade to IE9, which is simple and free to do, you should be able to use your icons (unless you use the au site) and avoid using Compatibility View.

Kense

Kense Report 16 Sep 2012 08:44

John, I think that the lack of suggestion posts is more to do with it being a very nice day and us having been warned that it is the end of Summer for this year.

I reckon Estelle and co still need another week to read through all the suggestions and come up with a plan of action.

I have notice from looking at My Updates that my contacts have doing many more tree updates this week than last week.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 16 Sep 2012 09:47

KenSE How do you find "My Updates"? To be honest, I have seen absolutely nothing that suggests to me site traffic has not almost ground to a stop. Have had one post this last week about a possible contact.

With a 23,000 + tree, have had about 4 or 5 a week at least pre-fiasco. In last 7 weeks 4 in total.

I said some weeks ago that Genes were off for the duration of teh Parliamentary recess. Suspect that is true, apart from Estelle putting on the occasional post from her holiday home. Otherwise, nothing worthwhile since 2nd Aug - and that was the most unrealistic announcement I have ever seen. Compares with "the NHS is safe in our hands"

Susan

Susan Report 16 Sep 2012 09:50

I don't seem to be able to upgrade to IE9 while using XP.

I have treid to.

I have IE8

sue :-(

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 16 Sep 2012 11:00

Susan

Internet Explorer 9 will not work with your XP Operating System, only with Vista or Windows 7. IE10, when available will only work with Windows 7.

You can't upgrade further than IE8 on XP, I'm afraid.

However Firefox has no such problem and the latest version (I have FF16) works quite happily on XP - in fact this is what I am using now as I type this message.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 16 Sep 2012 11:19

yeah, my updates, really useful eg

True ? entityData["FullName"].ToString() : "Unknown" Birth Record
True ? entityData["FullName"].ToString() : "Unknown" 1891 Transcribed Details

seems bug fixing not quite done then

:-0

Kense

Kense Report 16 Sep 2012 11:36

John, My Updates is accessed from the drop down box from Messages near the top left of the page.

Susan

Susan Report 16 Sep 2012 12:11

Thankyou

IGP and ROLLO..... thought so as I have been trying to update with no luck :-(

Trouble is I love XP and would not like to change it .... but I do know that one day I will have to as time catches up with the older systems :-(

Sue :-)

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 16 Sep 2012 12:37

KenSE Thanks for that . Have just had a look and there are 202 pages of My Updates. How on earth do I find similar statistics to you for recent updates :-S :-S

Actually, I looked down the first page and I know half of them are no longer on Genes :-( :-(

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 16 Sep 2012 13:09

The bugs in Gru "My Updates" have nothing to do with IE8, the example I gave came from Firefox as it happens. Microsoft Updates are something else altogether. XP has been unsupported by MS for some time and the ONLY updates available for XP from Microsoft are those related to security, for all of IE8, XPSP3 and older versions of Office.

As IGP says if you are using XP then there really is very little reason to upgrade to either WIN7 OR WIN8 unless you are into heavy duty computer games or video editing.

Microsoft will be offering upgrade versions of WIN8 to people with any of XP / VISTA / WIN7 licences cheaply - about £ 40. However the UG will only work with the original OS i.e. if you have an OEM licence and an old box not much point. WIN8 does not use AERO but to run properly in 32 bit mode needs at least 2GB RAM, fast dual core Pentium or Athlon multicore, better graphics than built in Intel 845 etc ... If your box is less than 4 years old then worth a try. IMHO WIN8 will establish WIN7 as the default OS for a long while to come ...

IGP is absolutely correct, IE7 and IE8 are DEAD DOGS and you really need to upgrade to a modern browser - which is free.

The current leaders of the pack (all support latest standards fairly well) are:

Chrome - fast, runs well with limited memory (1 GB), big change of interface, though it is very good once you get used to it, difficult to stop Google snooping

Firefox 15/16 - quick, bit of a memory hog (runs better if you have 2 GB)
If you are coming from IE8 then there is an IE "skin" so you can pretend it is still IE thoug Firefox under the hood

PaleMoon - a fork of Firefox, much more efficient with memory

Opera - the current beta "Next" is easily the fastest. Opera interface is the easiest for somebody coming from IE

all can import bookmarks from IE8

It really is a royal pain in the butt adapting site code for IE8 and people who think Gru is going to devote a lot of resources to it are dreaming. The compat. mode creates as many problems as it fixes.

The big problem for Microsoft and web sites such as GRU is that the desktop does not have much of a future, the user interface is moving to the smartphone/tablet/tv (my smartphone will display movies on the TV for instance) and web content to "apps".

On the larger picture Microsoft are horribly out of touch, perhaps holed below the waterline. WIN8 and its smartphone incarnation are MS attempt to get back into the game. Reality says that Google/Android are going to be toe to toe with Apple.

In 10 years time the idea of being anchored to a desktop pc at work or home or a laptop ( sort of mobile desktop) will appear savagely retro, up there with fax and typewriters. Most of the industry has not got a clue what's about to hit them except Apple, Google and Samsung. The UK would be a whole lot wiser to invest in very fast broadband than HS2 ... but I digress.

As for GRU we have had a year's huffing and puffing to produce a new web site which delivers little more functionality than the old tree. GRU promise "exciting" things with the new code base but so far have not fixed some quite bad bugs relating to MyThreads, and Photos. As for apps, well that is another country.

The various ill informed comments that the developers at GRU are incompetent is very wide of the mark. The real problem is that developing advanced web sites is very expensive, needs a lot of people and myriad skills. GRU are running on a shoestring ... They could help themselves quite a bit though by getting more engaged with their users.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 16 Sep 2012 13:52

Rollo, You are in a different world to me and most of the customers of Genes. I admire greatly your knowledge, but well above me.

I look at many web sites and they seem to develop efforllessly and take the customers with them. An******, DVLA, Home Shopping.

Are GRU running on a shoestring? In which case, why? The silver surfers are paying fortunes for family history sites, books etc - why are GR missing out?

Why did they not develop a more searchable data base? Got us to check spellings etc. so it was a useful and easy place to find things. People would have paid Diamond Prices for just a few new facts not available on sites of competitors.

And a basic starting point for a programmer is to engage with their stakeholders. And a major stakeholder is the ordinary customer - not one who is a whizz with computers, but soft Joe or Joanne who just wants to switch computer on and have fun and discover new things. I am soft Joe and I consider the programmer(s) have had absolutely no thought for me and thousands of others - therefore incompetent against their brief as charged, your Honour..

Treehunter

Treehunter Report 17 Sep 2012 23:15

I have emailed GR and they have got back to me i have to send them info, I am waiting until i go to my sister as dont understand alot of it she works with computer so i am hoping she can sort it out for me. If she does wil get back.

Not going until Wednesday.

Susan

Susan Report 19 Sep 2012 09:33

I have just tried to change a simple year of birth for one of the persons in my tree ,I found where to edit ..did that but where do you go to enter it.

I pressed every button I could see but nothing would change the year of birth,as it is so slow it took me an hour and I still have not been able to do what I wanted to do.

I will def NOT be renewing my membership.
AS far as I can see we are not being given any news about the site ,there is no fixing of anything and they have had ample time to do so.

This change is a disaster,I don't remember it being so bad the last time they changed things.

I have to get my tree off of here ASAP.

Sue :-(