Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

When will you merge with Ancestry?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elaine

Elaine Report 8 Feb 2021 18:55

I have subscribed to Genes Reunited for quite a few years now but I think that Ancestry.com has a better platform and is more widely used and seen. It makes sense to hook the two platforms together. This would save me re-entering all my data again and would be most convenient! Any chance?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 9 Feb 2021 14:59

No one at Genes looks at this board anymore. If you want to contact them you need to email them.

Genes Reunited is owned by the company that also owns Find My Past. The records on here are from Find My Past.

It is therefore highly unlikely that FMP would ‘merge’ with ancestry.

If you have a tree on here you can gedcom it into Ancestry.

I assume you have the more expensive membership - make sure your renewal isNOT automatic and then you can spend the money on an Ancestry sub. You can also gedcom your tree to FMP whose records are better than those available here.

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 20 Mar 2021 11:22

If you Gedcom your tree to Ancestry will there be a copy left on Genes Reunited?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Mar 2021 21:28

Kathryn -

Yes.
You're only exporting a COPY of your tree.

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/help/faqs?key=449

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 30 Mar 2021 18:51

Thank you! That's helpful as have been wary of doing it.

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 30 Mar 2021 19:00

I've now read the guidance thanks but it seems that I would lose photos and other things attached. And that I would need to send back the tree back to Genes Reunited. As I haven't completed my tree I guess it would be better not to do it just yet. Wondering who has done this successfully?!

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 30 Mar 2021 20:57

You don't HAVE to send the tree back to GR.
That's only if you add more to your tree on whatever programme you've exported the GEDCOM to, and then want to update the original GR tree to match.
But you can update the GR tree manually with the relevant bits of extra info, without involving a GEDCOM - although of course that does mean you have to update two trees instead of just one.

Re photos, etc, it seems to vary from one host programme to another, how much is lost, if anything.

The only tree I've exported didn't have photos etc attached, so I can't offer personal experience of that.

To save a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, it would seem better to wait until you've completed your tree - but does anyone ever actually complete their tree?? I find there are always new twigs to add, further and further out at the ends of branches.

Perhaps you're more disciplined than me!

Remember that if you import a GEDCOM to GR it will permanently overwrite the original tree.

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 1 Apr 2021 20:04

Thank you for replying again. That's really helpful!

Kense

Kense Report 19 Apr 2021 20:58

Photos will still remain on the GenesReunited tree but as a GEDCOM is just text there is no means for photos (or records) to be included in the exporting.