Help Centre - Frequently Asked Questions
Complete FAQ Listing
- I need an instant password reminder/ I can't login
- How do I print my tree?
- How do I stop my subscription/ renewal payment before it is due?
- How Do I Delete My Tree?
- How do I view trees that have been shared with me?
- How much are pay-per-view credits?
- What is the Keepsafe?
- How do I import or export a gedcom file?
- Where are my Hot Matches?
- What subscriptions do you offer?
- How much does it cost?
- How can I pay?
- How Can I Take Out A Free Trial?
- I don't want to renew my subscription - how do I cancel it?
- Will I Be Charged Anything For The Free Trial?
- How do I change the card I pay with?
- When will you renew my subscription?
- Why has my renewal payment failed?
- I want to change my subscription
- I would like a refund of the payment that I made
- What is Gifting?
- How do I redeem a gift voucher?
- How do I print out my family tree?
- Why can't I see the 'Save' tab on my details panel?
- How do I add a name to my tree?
- How do I edit details already in my tree?
- How do I view other trees?
- Why can't I see all of my shared trees on my dashboard?
- How do I remove someone from my tree?
- How do I change the parents of someone in my tree?
- How do I change my root person/tree owner?
- Where are my relation's photos and notes?
- Exporting Gedcoms
- Importing Gedcoms
- What are Relative Profiles?
- What is the upload limit for adding to keepsafe?
- Why do I see an error when trying to view my tree?
- What is the List view?
- How do I upload a photo to my tree?
- Deleting your Family Tree
- Building your Family Tree
- Viewing your Family Tree
- Printable Charts
- Living relatives
- Privatising your Family Tree
- Which Census records do you have?
- Which BMD records do you have?
- Which British Newspapers do you have?
- How much do records cost?
- Where are the Parish records?
- Which Military records do you have?
- Which Parish records do you have?
- Which Travel and Migration records do you have?
- British Newspaper Archive
- Scottish and Irish records
- Using the Birth/Marriage/Death records - UPDATED
- Why can't I view newspaper articles?
- Will I be charged if I try to view a record again?
- Ordering certificates
- What are the Electoral Roll records?
- Saving the records
- Reporting errors with records
- Searching the census - UPDATED
- How do I get a password reminder?
- Trouble signing in/ login details not accepted
- I want to delete my registration
- I have a new email address - how do I update my membership?
- I seem to have more than one registration
- I have multiple registrations with my email address, do I need to do anything?
- Please remove me from your mailing list
- How do I update my message board profile?
- How do I make the text bigger or smaller on my screen?
- Online safety
It is possible to export a copy of your Genes Reunited tree as a Gedcom file. You can do this by clicking on the Family Tree button at the top of your homepage, then selecting Export Gedcom from the drop-down menu. You can then click on the 'export gedcom' button and a copy of your tree will be emailed to you within a few minutes. The file is sent as an attachment from the email address "email@example.com". Please make sure that your email provider allows attachments and will allow emails from the above address.
You can then use this in conjunction with a family tree software package to view and edit your tree offline. You can also forward it to other family members by email if you wish.
Some packages may also allow you to print your tree. Your exported tree is compatible with Personal Ancestral File, Family Tree Maker, Family Historian , Roots Magic, Family Tree and Legacy. It should work with most software, but we are unable to guarantee this.
As soon as the file has been exported it will be sent to your registered email address. Please make sure this is correct by clicking on My Account in the top right hand corner of the site.
Even if you do not currently have a software package you can still export your file. However, in order to view it you will need the software to view it. There are various packages available to buy on the market. There are also internet sites where you can download packages for free.
Once you have exported your file you can save it to a CD or a memory stick. To save it externally you must first save it on your PC. You can then copy the file to your CD or memory stick. It will be saved as a gedcom.
Once you have edited your tree offline, you can then add it back to Genes Reunited. Please bear in mind that when you load a gedcom to the site will over write any previous tree you had loaded. Once you have loaded a new file the old tree cannot be restored.
Download our eBook
Whether you're new to family history or you've been researching your tree for some time, download our free eBook for hint and tips on how to get the best out of Genes Reunited.
Trace your living relatives
Whether you want to trace living relatives, plan a reunion or find out how to use Genes Reunited to find family links, download our guide for more information.
Build your family tree
You can build your family tree for free so be sure to add as many names as you can. Contact other members who have added the same names as you and watch your tree grow.