Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

gracey

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

funnyface

funnyface Report 24 Sep 2009 06:08

i do not have any thing to go on .but im trying to find
george gracey who came to australia i think about 1819 on the vessel grenada.im not sure if 1819 is the date he came or his birth
thank you

Vicci

Vicci Report 24 Sep 2009 06:19

Name: George Gracey
Vessel: Grenada
Convicted Date: 9 Sep 1818
Voyage Date: May 1819
Colony: Saleo
Piece: HO 11/3
Place of Conviction: London, England

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Sep 2009 06:20

I don't have the membership to open this ........ but it looks like 1819 was the date of his arrival in Australia

All New South Wales and Tasmania, Australia Convict Musters, 1806-1849 results for George Gracey

Matches 1–2 of 2 Sorted By Relevance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View Record Name Arrival Date Vessel Place of Conviction Estimated Birth Year View Images
View Record

George Gracey 1819 vessel View Record

George Gracey vessel

sylvia

Vicci

Vicci Report 24 Sep 2009 06:24

OLD BAILEY online
GEORGE GRACEY, Deception > forgery, 9th September 1818.

GEORGE GRACEY was indicted for that he, on the 10th of August , at Allhallows, London-wall , feloniously did falsely make, forge, and counterfeit, and cause and procure to be falsely made, forged, and counterfeited, and willingly act and assist in falsely making, forging, and counterfeiting, a certain promissory note for payment of money , the tenor of which is as follows:-

"I promise to pay the bearer, on demand, Two Guineas, at Grantham, or at 56, Lombard-street, London. Grantham Bank, 16th April, 1817. For Joseph Lawrence and Thomas Earle Welby. 343

"Two Guineas. Entered Ed. May . WM. WILSON" with intent to defraud Thomas Archer .

GUILTY . - DEATH . Aged 22.

so must have had a reprieve if he was transported

Vicci

Vicci Report 24 Sep 2009 06:35

NSW state records

Surname FirstName Alias Vessel Year Pardon No Pardon Type Date of Pardon Item Reel Remarks Page Order
GRACEY George - Grenada - 37/4912 CP 27 Jun 1837 [4/4481] 774 - 008

GRACEY George - Granada 1819 - CP - [4/4429] 774 - 042a

GRACEY George - Grenada 1819 39/053 CP 20 Nov 1837 [4/4436] 777 - 081

Vicci

Vicci Report 24 Sep 2009 06:40

maybe scottish

Select records to download - (50 maximum)
1. GEORGE GRACY - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 10 JUN 1798 Tannadice, Angus, Scotland
2. George Gracie - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 15 NOV 1801 Thornhill,Morton, , Dumfries, Scotland
3. George Gracie - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Birth: 15 NOV 1801 Thornhill,Morton, , Dumfries, Scotland
4. George Gracie - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Birth: About 1802 Of, Dunscore, Dumfries, Scotland
5. George Gracie - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 04 JUN 1804 Sanquhar, Dumfries, Scotland

Vicci

Vicci Report 24 Sep 2009 06:43

his brother as well?

Name: William Gracey age 25
Vessel: Grenada
Convicted Date: 9 Sep 1818
Voyage Date: May 1819
Colony: Saleo
Piece: HO 11/3
Place of Conviction: London, England

PARDON
GRACEY William - Grenada 1819 698 CP 8 Sep 1836 [4/4434] 776 - 402

Vicci

Vicci Report 24 Sep 2009 06:46

so maybe from London

WILLIAM GRACEY Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
01 JAN 1792 St Botolph Bishopsgate, London, London, England
Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: WILLIAM Family
Mother: HANNAH

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
C001617

funnyface

funnyface Report 24 Sep 2009 06:52

thank you
vicc and syliva
that is good news
but how do i trace him from then
would you know please

Vicci

Vicci Report 24 Sep 2009 06:55

NSW BMD

marriage

V1831166 73A/1831 GRACEY GEORGE MCPHERSON MARGARET JA Buy Now

Vicci

Vicci Report 24 Sep 2009 06:56

children

V1833815 18/1833 GRACEY GEORGE GEORGE MARGARET Buy Now
V1831200 45A/1831 GRACEY WILLIAM GEORGE MARGARET Buy Now
V18352102 26A/1835 GRACEY SARAH GEORGE MARGARET Buy Now

Vicci

Vicci Report 24 Sep 2009 06:57

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/searchHistoricalRecords.htm

Vicci

Vicci Report 24 Sep 2009 06:59

deaths

Click on a column heading to sort the column alphabetically.
Registration Number Last Name Given Name(s) Father's Given Name(s) Mother's Given Name(s) District Purchase Certificate
10663/1875 GRACEY GEORGE T GEORGE AGNES YOUNG Buy Now
14463/1903 GRACEY GEORGE GEORGE MARGARET LIVERPOOL Buy Now
3565/1871 GRACEY GEORGE ROBERT MARY GOULBURN Buy Now

funnyface

funnyface Report 25 Sep 2009 00:36

hi
i sure did appreciate what i got from george gracey
but...... what are my chances of getting info on his parents
hannah and william
.big ask i know
thank s

Vicci

Vicci Report 25 Sep 2009 01:07

I have looked for George Gracey born in London with brother William but no luck

there maybe something on his death certificate and/or his marriage cert

this is William's death

V1836914 20/1836 GRACEY WILLIAM AGE 39

if you get the certificates we maybe able to go further

Vicci

Vicci Report 25 Sep 2009 01:17

???

Gracey, British Isles
Father: John , Mother: Mary HEBENTON

Exact Spelling: Off
Batch Number: C113212
[

International Genealogical Index / British Isles - 3
Select records to download - (50 maximum)
1. WILLIAM GRACY - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 11 DEC 1794 Tannadice, Angus, Scotland
2. GEORGE GRACY - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 10 JUN 1798 Tannadice, Angus, Scotland
3. JOHN GRACY - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 21 APR 1793 Tannadice, Angus, Scotland

funnyface

funnyface Report 25 Sep 2009 01:22

hi vicc
id have to try and get from over seas .but ill have a go
thanks once again

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 25 Sep 2009 05:36

Hi Sue

If you go to the site for Scotland's People and you register and perform searches, you can purchase the image of the parish record however you need to puchase credits for this.

funnyface

funnyface Report 3 Oct 2009 03:57

i have a little bit more info on william and george parents
called william and hannah
they had a shop in crown st finsbury square
and there trade was as (carver and glider)
could this maybe help me to find out more about them
would you think

this was around the time the boys were sentence
thank you again

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Oct 2009 04:44

Looks like William was sentenced for the same or similar offence as his brother

from Old Bailey Online

www.oldbaileyonline.org/

WILLIAM GRACEY, Deception > forgery, 9th September 1818.

WILLIAM GRACEY was indicted, for that he, on the 7th of August , at Allhallows, Lombard-street, feloniously did falsely make, forge, and counterfeit, and cause and procure to be falsely made, forged, and counterfeited, and willingly act and assist in the false making, forging, and counterfeiting a certain promissory note for payment of money , the tenor of which is as follows:-

"Bury and Suffolk Bank, No. 864.

"I promise to pay the bearer Five Pounds, on demand, here or at Messrs. Lees, Satterthwaite, and Brassey, Bankers, London. Bury, 10th November, 1817. For James Oakes and Son.

"£5. Entered M. Collins. JOHN MARTIN ." with intent to defraud Edward Walmsley .

SECOND COUNT, for feloniously uttering and publishing as true, a like forged promissory note, with the like intent, he knowing it to be forged and counterfeited.

THIRD AND FOURTH COUNTS, the same, only stating his intent to be to defraud James Oakes and Orbell Ray Oakes .

TWO OTHER COUNTS. the same, only stating his intent to be to defraud George Lee , Richard Lee , Richard John Brassey , Fuller Farr , and George Lee , the younger.

WILLIAM MORPHEW . I am servant to Mr. Edward Walmsley, who is a linen-draper , and lives in Grace-church-street. On the 7th of August, about seven o'clock in the evening, the prisoner came to the shop, and bought a piece of Irish linen, which came to 3l. 2s. 10d., and paid me a 5l. Bury and Suffolk bank note - I did not ask his name; he gave me the name of Jones, Deptford; which I wrote on the note in his presence. This is the note he gave me (looking at it)-it was after banking hours. Next morning I presented it at Lee and Co.'s Lombard-street, for payment, and found it was forged. In consequence of which Mr. Hine, one of the clerks of the Bury bank, came to town on the Monday following, the 10th. We went together to Deptford, and were there nearly all day, searching for every person of the name of Jones, that we could find. We found four or five of that name, but not the person who gave me the note.

Q. In consequence of information did you go into St. George's-fields - A. Yes; on the following Friday, the 14th, I went to Joiner's-place, near Westminster-road, about a quarter before six o'clock in the morning. Mr. Hine and Walton, the officer, were with me. Walton knocked at the door, a boy opened it, he asked if Gracey was within? the boy said he did not live there. We went in through a room, which was the shop, it was shut up-this led us to a bed-room, Walton said, "Good morning to you, Gracey." I did not hear him answer. I said,"Good morning, Mr. Jones." He said his name was not Jones. I told him I understood it was not, but I wished him to go with us - He dressed himself, and went with us.

Q. Did he say anything more - A.He asked what I wanted with him. I told him he was the person who purchased a piece of linen of Mr. Walmsley, in Gracechurch-street, and I had given him change for a note; he then said he did not know Mr. Walmsley, that he had not been in Gracechurch-street, nor purchased any Irish linen, nor had he given a 5l. note to any person. We took him to the watch-house. As we were going along I asked him what he had done with the cloth he bought, he said he had not had any. We went to the watch-house to him at eleven o'clock - He wished to see his mother; Walton went for her, leaving me with the prisoner. He returned with his sister.

Q. While Walton was absent, had you any conversation with him - A. I told him I thought he was wrong in denying it, as I was sure he was the person who gave me the note; I said I did not wish to hurt him, I only wanted to recover my 5l. He was searched, and this pocket-book found on him; here is a memorandum, against the 7th of August (reads) "Jones, 2l." I had given him a 1l. note, and 17s. 2d. for his change. He was taken before the magistrate; I heard him make a statement there, which was taken down.

Cross-examined by MR. ADOLPHUS. Q. Look at him again, and see if you are positive he is the man who paid you the note - A. I have not the least doubt of it; he gave me the name of Jones voluntarily.

Q. Did he say his name was Jones, of Deptford, or that he received it of Jones, of Deptford - A. He only said, Jones, Deptford.

cont.