The British Newspaper Archive
Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?
Welcome to your Keepsafe
The Keepsafe is the place where you can safely store photos and any scanned items that you’ve uploaded to Genes Reunited.
Everything you have already added to the site will be shown in the Keepsafe.
You can add photos or copies of scanned documents, such as letters or certificates.
- To add an item click on the green ‘Upload to Keepsafe’ box which you’ll see in the top left hand corner of the page.
- Locate the image on your computer by clicking on browse and attaching the image.
- You must give it a title and choose what type of image it is.
- A title is important as we use this for searching, so add as much details as you can such as a name or a place.
- Click on ‘Upload to Keepsafe’.
- You can then add further details such as a date and where it was taken and attach to relations in your tree
- You can add the item to your Keepsafe or you can choose a folder for it.
- Decide who you want to share your item with by selecting an option from the ‘share with’ drop down.
- Finish the process by clicking on ‘Save Changes’.
- Above each item you’ll see the option to move, edit or delete it. Click on the action you’d like to do.
- You can move or delete items in bulk by ticking the box above each one and then choosing an option.
- Move – use this to move your item to a folder.
- Delete – click on this to delete an item. Once you have deleted it the image will be permanently deleted and you won’t be able to retrieve it.
- Edit – you can add or remove information about the item.
- Tag – when you edit a photo you’ll see the option to add a tag. A tag is like a keyword. If you add a photo of a relation in uniform and then add the word ‘soldier’ as a tag.
- You can attach photos and records to the names in your tree.
- When you are editing a photo you’ll see a box called ‘Attached Relations’.
- Start typing the name of the person you’d like to attach it to in this box.
- Select the name from the list that appears.
- You can attach an image to as many names in your tree as you want to.
- You can see copies of the attached images in your tree.
- Open up a relation’s details in your tree and click on ‘photos’ to view images and ‘records’ to view any historical records you have attached to that person.
- You can create folders to store all your photos and records.
- You might want to add a folder for your family, for individual relatives or maybe one just for records. It’s up to you!
- When you delete a folder it will delete all of the images contained in it so make sure you move them first if you’d like to keep them.
- All the items in your Keepsafe are private until you decide to share them. You have full control over who sees the items you have added.
- Click on an item in your Keepsafe or one of your folders and you’ll see an option to share it at the bottom of the page.
- Select the group you’d like to share it with, or just keep it private, and then save the changes.
- You can add contacts to your Friends and family group by selecting the option on the My Contacts page, where your messages are kept.