Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

robert moore

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

debbie

debbie Report 1 May 2011 18:24

I am trying to find my grandfather whos name we believe is Robert Moore who was aged 25 in 1936. He was living in Whitehaven at this time and was a miner. Unfortunately that is all I have to go on . There is a possibility he was catholic and had at least one sister. My Mother was born in Leeds on Sept 21st 1936 to Ruth Howe from Shap and was adopted nine months later. I have just returned from Whitehaven but could not find any records from St Beghs church. Please could anyone help? Thank you, Debbie Chapman ,Cardiff

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 1 May 2011 18:30

Although he lived in Whitehaven I guess he could have been born anywhere. There is this on FreeBMD:

Surname First name(s) Mother District Vol Page
Births Dec 1911
MOORE Robert Watt Whitehaven 10b 1201

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 1 May 2011 18:31

Just a guess!

Births Dec 1911 (>99%)
MOORE Robert Watt Whitehaven 10b 1201

How do you know his age?

Jan

debbie

debbie Report 1 May 2011 18:34

I know his age as my mother was adopted and although she didnt find out until she was 50 we managed to get hold of the adoption details from the churh of england adoption society.

debbie

debbie Report 1 May 2011 18:34

I know his age as my mother was adopted and although she didnt find out until she was 50 we managed to get hold of the adoption details from the churh of england adoption society.

debbie

debbie Report 1 May 2011 18:35

Wow I am new to this what does 10b 1201 mean ? Thank you Jan and Marie

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 1 May 2011 18:39

Hello Debbie those numbers are the index volume and page references that you'd need for ordering a certificate. That info was from FreeBMD - http://www.freebmd.org.uk. It's an excellent site for searching records.

Here it is displayed another way:

England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index, 1837-1915

Name: Robert Moore
Year of Registration: 1911
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Mother's Maiden Name: Watt
District: Whitehaven
County: Cumbria, Cumberland
Volume: 10b
Page: 1201

You can order certificates on-line from General Register Office (GRO) at http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 1 May 2011 18:40

Do you have any address for him on the details?
Jan

debbie

debbie Report 1 May 2011 18:43

thank you so much where would i order the certificate from? Is that Whitehaven? Also hhow did you come up with the name so quickly and is there any way I can trace any family related t this Robert Moore. Sorry there are so many questions

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 1 May 2011 18:47

Hi Debbie - I've added above where to get certificates from online.

The records are very quick and easy to find on FreeBMD - I put the website details above.

There would be no certainty that this would be your Robert Moore, but if you got the certificate it would give parent's details to help find them on census.

But as I said earlier, he could have been born anywhere and there were quite a few Robert Moore's born around that time.

As Jan asked earlier, was there an address for him anywhere?

debbie

debbie Report 1 May 2011 18:52

Thank you very much that is so helpful!. Jan I have no address at all only that he lived in or near Whitehaven and was a miner.

Lynski

Lynski Report 3 May 2011 06:23

Another thread started today

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/trying_to_find/thread/1266908

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 3 May 2011 06:51

From other thread:

"....I have just looked to see if there was any record of any robert moores who became married in whitehaven within six years of this time and four names have come up. Is there any way i can view these and would it have the birth date of these robert moores on the actual marriage certificate itself. ... thank you "

Debbie, you can only view details by buying the cert unfortunately. Age will be given but not DOB. Are you saying you know his birth date?

Jan

debbie

debbie Report 3 May 2011 09:30

i dont know the birth date only that he was 25 in 1936 which whittles it down a bit. I have already ordered the one birth cert but it certainly would be interesting to find out the age of the other four i found. is there any way i can find out without buying the certificates

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 3 May 2011 09:37

No there isn't I'm afraid.

debbie

debbie Report 3 May 2011 10:04

are you able to go and look at the records yourself in whitehaven