Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

PETITION FOR NEW EVENINGS FREE VIEWING ON GENES

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Familyfinder

Familyfinder Report 1 Jan 2011 15:37

Due to the non event on here last night when everything snared up and people were very disappointed not being able to take advantage of the free viewing of records-It would be a really nice gesture if Genes offered another chance, or a small amount of free credits to everyone as a small gesture. If you agree please comment below-lets show them how much we do appreciate it!!

Debbie

Debbie Report 1 Jan 2011 15:43

I would really appreciate it as i sat here for hours last night thinking my computer was playing up

Susan

Susan Report 1 Jan 2011 15:56

I spent 2 hours looking at a frozen screen, felt very annoyed & frustrated at not being able to do any research. I think it's the least Gene's Reunited can do.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 1 Jan 2011 16:02

Although in principal it is a nice idea but what about the members who already subscribe to view the records. They missed out last night and would also miss out again if free access to the records goes ahead again.

What is to stop the site crashing again with the increased in volume of traffic?

It should only go ahead if the members who subscribe are compensated in some way.

GR have the appropriate server capacity to cope with the inevitable increased traffic.

Also, if you wish GR to listen, you need to 'speak' to them on their facebook page. It seems the only place to get a response.

Blue1

Blue1 Report 1 Jan 2011 19:23

Surely they realised that everyone would be on at the same time.
very disappointing altogether

Blue

mac

mac Report 1 Jan 2011 19:29

Obviously they realised the amount of traffic, but if a facebook campaign can bring down Mastercard & Visa what chance do they have in coping? They have no where near the same capacity/resourses.

It was very disappointing, but as a subscriber I lost out on my sub, but am not complaining.

FLOWERS

FLOWERS Report 1 Jan 2011 21:35

Count me in too, that would be great.

Familyfinder

Familyfinder Report 1 Jan 2011 22:48

as usual i seem to have offended people-was only trying to help!

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 1 Jan 2011 22:53

I don't think anyone is offended, it is just an expression of differing views.

Only by debating can the best solutions be found.

Familyfinder

Familyfinder Report 1 Jan 2011 22:54

thats ok-last thing i want to do is offend anyone

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 1 Jan 2011 23:00

It was a stupid thing for GR to do. They had to have known what the result would be. We all knew! Almost as stupid as their Help Clinic.

jax

jax Report 1 Jan 2011 23:28

How many people were upset when FMP crashed everytime England played? I subscribed to that and was a bit annoyed because I did'nt want to watch the football, but at the end of the day **** happens

jax

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 2 Jan 2011 00:22

Jax I used to subscribe to findmypast and one of the reasons I chose not to renew my subs was because of me being denied access for something I had paid for. Also as a subscriber was not benefitting from them giving free access.

S&@t happens but experience should have dictated that this was not going to work or they should have had the correct technology to prevent the fiasco.
In fact someone on the facebook page raised this with GR and was assured that this was not going to happen.

I do complain about poor service as this is the only way that services can be improved.

Gina

Gina Report 2 Jan 2011 01:12

I agree totally. I spent ages thinking my computer was about to die and finally and very disapointedly gave up.

Claire in Lincs

Claire in Lincs Report 2 Jan 2011 06:02

Dont you remember the ta-ta we had when the 1901 census came available.?
All because of the vast numbers of folks wanting to use it,
It was weeks before it was sorted out,

Tony

Tony Report 2 Jan 2011 16:06

I should be thankfull having got 2 x1911 look ups is better than some . The maintanance notices were frustrating beyond words . But i guess this is a general notice to cover any problem rather than admit they were unable to cope .Yes be honest let us know that avaliabilty will be limited .another chance yes give us all some free credits so not everyone on at the same time.Lets wait and see.

RobG

RobG Report 2 Jan 2011 16:11

It does puzzle me that GR has this forum, which despite it's faults, is a very good place for discussion and for them to float ideas and get reponses from people (maybe on a seperate board), who often have many years experience and can give a fair opinion on whether an idea (like this or the Help Clinic) will work or not. Yet they choose to use Facebook of all places as a method of communication.

Norma

Norma Report 2 Jan 2011 16:41

I agree with everyone else. I too was fustrated with the maintenance notices and my computer either freezing or going very slow, so I didn't get anywhere with my searches. I agree with Tony that giving everone some free credits would be a good idea and gesture on their part, this way we could use them when its convenient to us and that is unlikely to be at the exact sam time.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 2 Jan 2011 17:40

RobG

That very question was asked on facebook page and GR's reply was that they could cope with the queries on facebook giving quick responses to question but would not be able to do this on their own site because of the higher volume of expected queries.

It was pointed out that without doing a trial it was just supposition to say that they wouldn't be able to cope and not fact. It was also said that being unable to discuss issues with GR on their own site was on a par with going into a shop and being ignored by the shop assistant.

Ann

Ann Report 2 Jan 2011 17:50

I totally agree and was very disappointed and gave up, everything just stopped.
Went onto another site to do other research instead only to find out later that GR had extended the free period by 1hr and I still couldn't get onto GR site. Gave up and went to bed.

Ann