Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

canadian marriage

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 19 Oct 2010 19:33

I have a George Webb birth unknown but probably before 1897, not with his family on census or in workhouse that I can find. He went to Canada, province not known and married a French Canadian lady, name unknown but the family say it was French. They had no children, George was still living in early to mid 1960s. Sorry to be so brief, had I not seen a photo of him would not believe he existed. Have worked my way though ww1 Canadian soldiers and he is not there that I can find. The only thing certain is that his mother was Emily. Could anyone tell me which site to look at please?

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 19 Oct 2010 19:49

Hi sandra,

Where is his family on any census that you have found?
Did he have a middle name?
Do you know where he was born?

Annx

Sandra

Sandra Report 20 Oct 2010 16:33

1901, his two youngest sisters were with the mother and their father until his death then all in workhouse joined by a older half sister. Oldest sister cannot find her in 1901. George is never mentioned as being with them. He did not have a middle name that I know of. The three sisters were born Islington - Shoreditch area. Wondered if he was "farmed" out but such a common name. 1911 census all females on there but not with George. Tried so many things just thought if someone could point me in the direction of marriages on Canada site. Not tried WW1 in this country yet. Sandra

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 20 Oct 2010 19:04

Hello Sandra,

If you google Canada Archives there are records and info as to how to obtain records as not all are online.

Can you post the 1901 census with the family on your thread?

iff Greorge never appears with the family.........from where did he "pop" up and how to you arrive at the approx birth 1897?

Annx

Sandra

Sandra Report 20 Oct 2010 20:26

Dear Anne, I hope you do not mind if I do not put up the 1901 census, it is very complicated for this family that I am doing the research for but do appreciate any advice. The oldest girl was born mid May 1893 so you can forget the nine months prior to her birth. The next girl was born Sept 1898, next March 1901 both on the 1901 census. There was another boy born 5 months after the husband's death who also died at 6 months with pneumonia in the workhouse. There is a gap from 1893 until 1897 when another child could have been born and eventually put either in workhouse or given to a guardian, I have found one George that is nephew but still struggling finding a link. I do not believe that he was born after 1904+ but could have been before1892 although the family thought the 1893 girl was the oldest child, though as you know what the family believe and what is true are not always the same. I do not know where he popped up from but he was always in contact with the family even from Canada. I have struggled with my feelings about the mother but from her attitude to them in the school workhouse keeping visiting them and the way life kept knocking her down I have developed great affection for her. She did eventually leave and get employment in a four storey middle class house, the lady of the house producing many children, Emily must have been run ragged. Will take your advice. regards Sandra

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 20 Oct 2010 22:04

Hello Sandra,

That is fine, please do not stress! Do you happen to know what George did for a living?

Annx

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 20 Oct 2010 22:28

Given the family's obvious economic hardship, and the fact that George went to Canada, it's very likely that he went as a child migrant, a Home Child.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/home-children/001015-100.01-e.php

There are several who could match in terms of date of birth.

WEBB George 7 M Dominion 1906
WEBB George 16 M Virginian 1914
WEBB George 16 M Victorian 1914
WEBB George E 11 M Kensington 1907
WEBB George Percy 16 M Canada 1910
WEBB George Walter 12 M Canada 1910

About half of Canadian provinces have marriage info accessible on line -- generally only up to about 75 years ago because of privacy legislation.

Ontario and BC are accessible at Ancestry; BC also has its own search site.

For Quebec, records were held by the church, and the Drouin collection of those records is accessible at Ancestry.

Newfoundland was not part of Canada until 1949; some parish records can be found various places on line, but it's pretty unlikely that's where he went.

Manitoba, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick are the others with records on line, I believe.

A wife of French Canadian background suggests Quebec, Ontario or Manitoba as most likely.

I don't have paid access to records at Ancestry.ca at the moment, but someone with worldwide Ancestry could check the marriage records there. However, I can trick the search engine a little. Looking for the marriage of any name to George Webb (or variants of given name, e.g. Frederick Geo Webb), 1906-1926 (the last date accessible), there are 20-odd marriages. The one bride who might be French-Canadian is Annie Rosier.

Ontario marriages can be searched at Ancestry by parents' names -- if the party knew and reported them. The only Geo* Webb who answers to mother Emily is George Henry Webb who did not marry Annie Rosier, he married Alice Maud Smithers.

Birth records aren't accessible to look for children to a marriage anywhere except possibly the Drouin collection, for Quebec.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 20 Oct 2010 22:35

Searching the 1911 census at Ancestry for George Webb born 1890-1900 in England gives 8 possibles. Only two of them answer to "son"; none answers to "adopted".

Depending on his actual age and when he migrated, he very likely worked on a farm; child migrants were essentially a cheap labour pool. My grandmother's sister's husband born in the early 1890s in Hampshire was sent to Canada around 1907, and in 1911 was a farm labourer. He later became a successful farmer in Ontario.

www.automatedgenealogy.com offers free access to the 1911 census, but has a crap search function. I'll have a look.

... Here's one of the ones from Ancestry:

Webb George M Servant S Oct 1893 17

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 20 Oct 2010 22:40

Blimey Janey.....you must have read my mind!!!!!!!!!

Was just going to post Sandra to ask for your help, hope she comes back to her thread.
Ann

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 20 Oct 2010 22:42

Just to follow that one for now, he looks like:

Births Mar 1894
Webb George Percy Kingston 2a 364

Surname: WEBB
Given Name: George Percy
Sex: M
Ship: Canada
Year of Arrival: 1910
Departure Port: Liverpool
Departure Date: 3 March 1910
Arrival Port: Halifax
Arrival Date: 11 March 1910
Party: Not given
Destination: Hamilton, Ont
Source: Library and Archives Canada
Reference: RG76 C 1 b
Microfilm: T-4736
Type of Record: Passenger Lists - Group of Children Traveling Together

The location in the 1911 census is

Home / 1911 / Ontario / Wentworth / 30 Flamborough East / page 8

-- Hamilton, Ontario, is in Wentworth County.

And a google finds his marriage:

http://virts.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maryc/went1927p4.htm

24542-27 George Percy WEBB, 33, draughtsman, England, Hamilton, s/o George Henry WEBB, b. England & Emily Emma ANDREWS, married Winifred Maud BARKER, 20, clerk, England, Hamilton, d/o Albert BARKER, b. England & Florence HOLDEN, witn: Harry A. WEBB of 163 Victoria Ave & May BARKER of 11 Oxford St., 18 June 1927 at Hamilton

Son of Emily Emma Andrews. But -- there is a Harry Webb witness.

I can't find that marriage at Ancestry for love nor money.

This looks like that George's actual parents:

Marriages Sep 1891
Andrews Emma Eliza Kingston 2a 623
Webb George Henry Kingston 2a 623

Oops, hello, Ann! Just spotted you there. Here I am. ;)

I'll see what thoughts are about this guy before moving on ...

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 20 Oct 2010 23:00

Okay, I imagine this squelches George Percy.

Civil parish: Croydon
Henry Webb 43
Emily Webb 41
Emma Webb 15
Henry James Webb 14 (Harry who witnessed the marriage?)
Thomas Webb 8
Frank Charles Webb 3
George Webb 6
Albert Webb 11 Months

"The only thing certain is that his mother was Emily."

Her surname could help a lot, if he did settle in Ontario, for instance.

"his two youngest sisters were with the mother and their father until his death"

You actually don't know the father's name?

mgnv

mgnv Report 21 Oct 2010 02:44

Janey - just a footnote. Ancestry's Ontario marrs only go to 1926.
I don't recognize the URL you posted for the 1927 marr you found, but it looks like it's from Mary Crandall's marr pages at the OVSP site. Actually, 1928 marrs have been transfered to the Archives of Ontario, but they're not available even on film yet - they should be some time in 2010, and in the meantime you can contact the Archives re 1928.

Sandra

Sandra Report 21 Oct 2010 08:47

Just typed a long letter to you all and lost it. Will go on again later and talk to you. Regards Sandra

Sandra

Sandra Report 21 Oct 2010 14:52

Hi everyone. I do not know what profession George had only that he did well for himself. He came back to England for a visit probably in the 1950s. He was still living in mid 1960s,when he died which was after his wife it was the sherrif f who wrote to the family to notify them as there was no one else. None of the other family went with him to Canada

Janey do all towns in Canada have sherriffs?

Emily never married in spite of the fact that in 1911 she says she is a widow. I am limited to what I can tell you about the girls as the living family do not yet know the details that I have found. The youngest two never spoke of their life except to say that they went in service very young.

The oldest child knew she was ilegitmate she put this on her marriage cert. The two other girls knew their father was Fred but not his surname. On the birth cert. of the 2nd child the mother gives her name as the fathers, then late Smith formerley Webb. So maybe either of the oldest children 's father could have been a Smith.

To add to the confusion when Emily was with Fred he also had a son from a previous relationship. William was born 1885 in the Holborn - London region. When Fred dies this young man then 16 disappears, he did not die, go in the military or emigrate. I have started to wonder if William is George but how, he only had the one name that I know of.

Sorry if this is confusing but imagine how it has been for me. I can get on ancestry at the library. Tell me what to look for please? I t was definately a french name for George's wife. regards Sandra

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 21 Oct 2010 15:36

Hi Sandra,

Have just read your last post and am a bit confused!! (not very hard to confuse me) When you say that George was in touch with the family while living in Canada..........why is it that they know so little about him.....his work and where he was living in Canada etc.

You also said that George may have visited Uk some time in the 50's, some people on here have full access to Ancestry and they have UK Incoming Passenger Lists up to 1960........worth asking for a lookup as I do not subscribe. I am sure you will get further help from our Canadian researchers when they come online later.

Annx

Teresa

Teresa Report 21 Oct 2010 16:10

From Ancestry Incoming Passengers

UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
about George Webb
Name: George Webb
Birth Date: 5 Jul 1897
Port of Departure: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Arrival Date: 25 Jun 1960
Port of Arrival: Southampton, England
Ports of Voyage: Montreal
[Quebec]
Ship Name: Homeric
Shipping line: Home Lines Inc
Official Number: 4397/80

looks like he is travelling with :

UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
about Leita Webb
Name: Leita Webb
Birth Date: 14 Jul 1908
Port of Departure: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Arrival Date: 25 Jun 1960
Port of Arrival: Southampton, England
Ports of Voyage: Montreal
[Quebec]
Ship Name: Homeric
Shipping line: Home Lines Inc
Official Number: 4397/80

giving an address of 4 Old London Rd, Hastings. George is an engineer and staying for 2 months

Maybe somebody with a FMP subscription might be able to find their return journey and destination?

Teresa

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 21 Oct 2010 16:51

Heres the transcript.........will have a look at the original.

passenger transcript details
Name: George WEBB
Date of departure: 31 July 1960
Port of departure: Southampton
Passenger destination port: Montreal, Canada
Passenger destination: Montreal, Canada

Date of Birth:
Sex: Male
Passenger recorded on: Page 7 of 9

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following people with the same last name travelled on this voyage: -

Leita WEBB Page 7 of 9 View transcript

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ship:
Official Number:
Master's name:
Steamship Line:
Where bound:
Square feet:
Registered tonnage:
Passengers on voyage:
HOMERIC

? ? ?

Montreal, Canada

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 21 Oct 2010 16:55

George is staying at 22 Rockanore? Road Hastings Sussex.

Annx

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 21 Oct 2010 17:11

Okay, now you're getting somewhere. I shall watch. ;)

Heh, sheriffs. In Canada, sheriffs have nothing to do with police or law enforcement. A sheriff in Ontario is an officer of the civil courts, responsible for serving papers, enforcing court orders (like seizures and evictions), and so on. (Actually, I see that in Alberta and BC, sheriffs are more like in the US ... as one would expect of Alberta in particular. ;) )

So the sheriff who wrote about the death would have been notifying next of kin or beneficiaries in relation to a will/estate, most likely.

(Thanks, mgnv, I wasn't paying attention to the stupid dates! I knew that. ;) )

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 21 Oct 2010 17:22

So with a dob of July 1891 [edit -- typo -- 1897 of course! -- used 1897 for calculations below], I don't find him in the 1911 Canadian census. He could be one of these, if he did come to Canada as a child migrant -- which is just one possibility.

WEBB George 16 M Virginian March 1914 (1897/8)
WEBB George 16 M Victorian Apr/May 1914 (1897/8)

Both of those Georges would be the right age -- our George was turning 17 in July 1914 -- but both were destined to Manitoba.

Manitoba shows no marriage of a George Webb to a Leita (or similar) up to 1930.

http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php