Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Jane Doris Smith 1897 (updated 28/07/2012)

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

KazzeeH

KazzeeH Report 3 May 2011 02:09

Trying to find any information on Jane Doris Smith (sometimes called Doris), b:1897 to Jane Emily and Frederick William Smith. At the time of her birth they were living at 225 Bow Common Rd Mile End Old Town and on the 1901 census they were at Fairbright Rd Walthamstow. Sometime after 1901 Jane Emily and Frederick separated. I would like to find a marriage for Jane Doris and her possible whereabouts at the time of the 1911 census. At this point I have one possible entry on the census however given the location I think it is unlikely to be the correct Jane Doris.
I have located Frederick Smith on the 1911 living with his parents, he lists himself as married but with no children.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 3 May 2011 04:47

Where and when was Jane Emily born?

Rose

Lynski

Lynski Report 3 May 2011 05:23

Births Jun 1897 (>99%)
Smith Jane Doris Mile End 1c 519

KazzeeH

KazzeeH Report 3 May 2011 05:25

Jane Emily Smith (nee Pells) was born 1870 in St Olave Bermondsey. I also have the baptism record for Jane Doris.

Lynski

Lynski Report 3 May 2011 05:31

Do you have either Jane Doris' birth certificate or Frederick and Jane's marriage certificate??

Possibles??? -

Marriages Dec 1883 (>99%)
BENNETT Ann Rebecca Mile End 1c 1037
Harrison John Mile End 1c 1037
Powter Jane Mile End 1c 1037
SMITH Frederick Mile End 1c 1037

Marriages Jun 1897 (>99%)
Day Janet Mile End 1c 816
Lawrence George Mile End 1c 816
Smith Frederick William Mile End 1c 816
Stevens Sarah Mile End 1c 816

EDIT - that rules these out

KazzeeH

KazzeeH Report 3 May 2011 05:34

Hi Lynne
Yes I do have Jane and Frederick's marriage certificate...I don't have Jane Doris' birth cert only her baptism record.

Lynski

Lynski Report 3 May 2011 05:37

Marriages Dec 1889 (>99%)

PELLS Jane Emily Stepney 1c 895
SMITH William Frederick Stepney 1c 895

Lynski

Lynski Report 3 May 2011 05:43

1911 census ?????????

Person: SMITH, Jane Doris
Institution: Princess Mary Village Homes, PRINCESS MARY VILLAGE HOMES

Cost:
You will be charged 10 credits for a transcript and 30 credits for an image, unless you have purchased a subscription for this set of records.

census search results 1911 address search redefine current search
Name Relation Condition/
Yrs married Sex Age Birth
Year Occupation Where Born Original
census

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SMITH, Jane Doris Inmate F 13 1898 Unknown VIEW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RG number:
RG14 Piece:
3012 Reference:
RG14PN3012 RD32 SD2 ED18 SN9999

Registration District:
Chertsey Sub District:
Chertsey Enumeration District:
18 Parish:
Chertsey

Address:
Crouch Oak Road Addlestone County:
Surrey

KazzeeH

KazzeeH Report 3 May 2011 05:46

Thanks Lynne,
That entry at Princess Mary Village Homes is the only entry I can find for her on the 1911..There is no other sign of her or her mother and siblings..

Lynski

Lynski Report 3 May 2011 05:52

Who are her siblings?

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 3 May 2011 05:55

Karen,

Can you post the 1901 census details to help us?

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 3 May 2011 05:56

There are no other Jane Doris Smiths born c1897 so she must be your Jane.

Rose

KazzeeH

KazzeeH Report 3 May 2011 05:58

Jane Doris had a half sister Lilian Climpson and half brother Arthur Leonard Climpson (my grandfather). I have the certificates birth, marriage and death for both of them. They father was Harry Walter Climpson, born 1860 and dying in 1922, I have both of those certificates as well. He and Jane Emily Smith never married..

Astra

Astra Report 3 May 2011 05:59

1901. I think we searched for the Climpsons the other day.

William Smith
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1869
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Jane E Smith
Where born: Whitechapel
Civil parish: Walthamstow
Ecclesiastical parish: St Mary
Town: Walthamstow
County/Island: Essex
Household Members: Name Age
William Smith 32
Jane E Smith 31
Doris J Smith 4
John Barrows 33

Lynski

Lynski Report 3 May 2011 06:02

Is this them????

Births Dec 1907 (>99%)
CLIMPSON Arthur Leonard Stepney 1c 354

Births Sep 1906 (>99%)
Climpson Lilian Sarah D Mile End 1c 489

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 3 May 2011 06:24

Doesn't help that Harry is down as Harry, Walter or Henry, depending on the census.

Rose

KazzeeH

KazzeeH Report 3 May 2011 06:45

Yes Lynne this is them..Yes we've been looking for a few days now.
Harry Climpson was christened Harry and not Henry.. I personally think they are using another name and perhaps hiding. I suspect Jane Doris was not fathered by Frederick Smith (he declares on the 1911 as having no children), and Harry Climpson left his wife and 9 children to be with Jane Emily, they had 2 illegimate children and never married..And from information received from my grandmother (now deceased) Jane Emily was not a very nice person. Apparently she had a passion for money and men.
Harry Climpson was born in to a monied family. Story is, when he left his first wife and children he did not support them financially in any way and his wife became a laundry worker and/or charwoman.

My main interest is Doris Jane Smith and what ever happened to her. My grandmother met her once, shortly after she and my grandfather married. They went and had afternoon tea with her. She recalled Jane Doris as being a real lady and the house being rather grand, they were served tea. However my Nan couldn't remember where this took place and doesn't recall the mention of a husband. The strange thing about this is, it was the only contact my grandparents ever had with Jane Doris. So I have to wonder what became of her.

I would like to thank you for your help, it is tremendous that people will go out of their way for a complete stranger. I really appreciate it.

Regards
Karen.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 3 May 2011 08:06

" My grandmother met her once, shortly after she and my grandmother married."

So you mean they married within a few years of one another?

Rose

KazzeeH

KazzeeH Report 3 May 2011 08:17

Rose...I see I made a major typo in that...I've know correct it..It should have read grandfather.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 3 May 2011 08:29

Have you seen the marriage to an Edgar Claude Kensington? He was a brigadier.

There's a death for a Jane D Kensington in 1965 but I can't see the age to rule her out.

Rose