Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My Father Ronald John Thompson Born 1927

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PHILIP

PHILIP Report 11 Apr 2011 20:45

Please HELP!!
I am trying to trace any details whatsoever on my father whose name appears on my birth certificate as Ronald John Thompson,.
He married my mother on the 14th of December 1948 in Plymouth but later divorced in 1957. His name on the marriage certificate was once again given as Ronald John Thompson aged 21 years old, and his fathers name on the marriage certificate was given as John Henry Thompson (deceased).
I have obtained every birth certificate for the name Ronald/Ronald Jonn/Ronald J Thompsons from the 15th December 1926 to the 13th December 1927 but none match with the fathers name of John Henry.
I am now at a loss , PLEASE HLEP ME!!!!!! THANKYOU.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 11 Apr 2011 20:48

Hello Philip, do you know if your father is still alive?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 Apr 2011 21:23

What was the occupation of John Henry and were there any THOMPSON witnesses at the marriage?

Gwyn

patchem

patchem Report 11 Apr 2011 21:27

Invented name because he was illegitimate?
Have you not got his exact birth date recorded somewhere?

Mary

Mary Report 11 Apr 2011 21:43

There was a Ronald John F R Thompson born 12/4/1927 died torbay 1993.

Is that one of them cretificates you got.

Maryb

Sheila

Sheila Report 11 Apr 2011 22:41

Hi

What about the John H Thompson marriage in 1924 Burton Staffs to a Emmie E H Owen. ?

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 12 Apr 2011 00:07

Ronald J F R isn't the one because he married the same quarter in 1948.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 12 Apr 2011 00:08

Could be he lied and said he was 21 when he was actually younger.

Rose

PHILIP

PHILIP Report 12 Apr 2011 07:02

Hi Marie, I don't know whether he is still alive.

PHILIP

PHILIP Report 12 Apr 2011 07:07

Hi Gwyn, John Hennry (deceased) occupation/proffession was stated as Furniture Remover, and unfortunately there were no other Thompson witnesses at the marriage.

PHILIP

PHILIP Report 12 Apr 2011 07:11

Hi patchem, no exact birth date, hence me trying to match all the birth certs I have obtained to the name given as his father John Henry Thompson

PHILIP

PHILIP Report 12 Apr 2011 07:19

Hi Mary, Ronald John F R yes got that one, doesn't match, and as Rose has said,he married in the same quarter in 1948 although I did have a bad feeling about that as well until I checked the birth cert against the fathers name.

PHILIP

PHILIP Report 12 Apr 2011 17:23

Hi Marie, no unfortunately I don't know whether he is still alive or not.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 12 Apr 2011 18:10

What was Ronald's occupation? Where did he go after the divorce?

Rose

PHILIP

PHILIP Report 13 Apr 2011 19:42

I am answering but I don't know if I'm doing something wrong!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 13 Apr 2011 19:46

You're doing everything right, have no fear. Everybody was searching away behind the scenes and coming up with no more than you, from what I can see, and so just asking for any more info you might have or come up with or think of in response to a question. ;)

PHILIP

PHILIP Report 13 Apr 2011 19:48

Ronalds occupatio on his marriage certificate was a Merchant seaman, that was in 1948. Not a clue where he went after the divorce although Cornwall has been mentioned in the past but that could be just another wild goose chase.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 13 Apr 2011 20:06

Trying to track this one around ...

Name: Eric *R J* Thompson
Mother's Maiden Surname: Neal
Date of Registration: Oct Nov Dec 1923
* Registration district: Devonport
Registration county: Devon/Cornwall/Seilly
Volume Number: 5b
Page Number: 416

Now, there is a marriage in that name in oct-nov-dec 1948 (!) in Ealing, which could be the person of the same name born in apr-may-jun 1931 in Chelsea (wife Doris O Clayton born 1929 Brentford) (Eric Richard J, died 1984 Waltham Forest).

But this is that EJRT's parents' marriage:

Lilian M Neal * Alfred WJ Thompson Jul-Aug-Sep 1923 East Stonehouse Devon

As mentioned above, the father's name on the marriage certificate could be bogus for one reason or another.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 13 Apr 2011 20:08

A, a merchant seaman. Could mean he was native to the Plymouth area, seafaring being a big occupation, or he was just in town on business. ;)

You weren't the only or oldest kid -- does an older sibling not remember anything about him, or ever meeting a grandparent?

PHILIP

PHILIP Report 13 Apr 2011 20:13

Before I started my search, Cardiff in Wales was the favourite place to start looking as it had been mentioned many times throughout the years between my sisters that he was welsh and came from there. To be honest, of all the birth certificates I have obtained there was a Ronald John Thompson Born 22nd June 1927 30a Cowbridge road, Cardiff.
Only thing wrong with this one, like all the other 30 b/certificates his fathers name does not match the name of John Henry that was on his marriage cert when he married my mother. The fathers name on the birth cert reads Harold Thompson. Of all the b/certs I have got, that's the closest I have got.