Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Waystrode Manor

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Smürf

Smürf Report 11 Apr 2008 20:02

Does anyone have access to Address Searches?

I'm looking for who lived in Waystrode Manor during it's 500 year history in Cowden, Kent. Particulaly those who inhabited the manor house after Richard Still 1660 - 1726. anything at all would be fantastic.

Many Thanks

Joanne

chrisa

chrisa Report 11 Apr 2008 20:08

I've just found this on web

Nobody has established beyond doubt when this ancient manor house was originally built. Elizabethan
historians said the first owner bore the name of Wheystrode, and that he was a knight to whom the
unscrupulous King John gave the manor for services rendered in 1208. Wheystrode and his
descendents were Lords of the fee, and held the manor until 1460 when it passed to John Style, and
remained in the family for 300 years, with descendents living in Cowden until the 1960s. Mr and Mrs
Wright came to Waystrode in 1963, and their main legacy is the wonderful garden.

jansmith

jansmith Report 11 Apr 2008 20:10

is this the place
WAYSTRODE, otherwise called Westwood, and now most commonly THE WOOD, is an estate here, situated about half a mile north-westward from the church, which was formerly accounted a manor. It had antiently owners of the name of Waystrode, who continued in possession of it till the beginning of the reign of king Henry VI. and then it was alienated to May; from which name it was again sold, at the latter end of it, to Still; in whose descendants it continued to Mr. Richard Still, who resided here; his only daughter and heir carried it in marriage to Mr. Dyke, of Burwash, in Sussex, on whose death it descended to their only son and heir, Richard Still Dyke, esq. who married Mary, daughter of the Rev. Mr. George Jordan, of Burwash, who surviving her husband, is now by his will intitled to the present possession of it.

From: 'Parishes: Cowden', The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 3 (1797), pp. 203-210. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=62854&strquery=Waystrode manor. Date accessed: 11 April 2008.

Smürf

Smürf Report 11 Apr 2008 20:19

yeah, that's the one. i'm looking for what happened after richard though. it obviously went to his Daughter Mary (Dyke) but i really want to know where it went after that

Joanne

Smürf

Smürf Report 11 Apr 2008 20:27

All i know is it ended up with Mr and Mrs Jill Wright (a ice skater in the winter olympics of 1948) in 1963. but it's the 200 years in between i would like to know about

Joanne

Ivy

Ivy Report 11 Apr 2008 20:30

Just putting Cowden into the civil parish box in the 1881 census brings up about 15 references to named uninhabited property. Stride Wood is one of these - possibly the property you are interested in?

Did Mary Dyke marry?

Ivy

Ivy Report 11 Apr 2008 20:31

If the house is still standing, you could have a look at the title deeds on the Land Registry Online site - with a bit of luck previous owners may have agreed covenants on the use of the property?

Smürf

Smürf Report 11 Apr 2008 20:32

Yes she did, her married name was Dyke all i know is the husband was from Burwash nearby East Sussex

Smürf

Smürf Report 11 Apr 2008 20:33

yes it is. Where would i do that?

Ivy

Ivy Report 11 Apr 2008 20:38

Hi Joanne,

Address here

http://www.landregisteronline.gov.uk/

Smürf

Smürf Report 11 Apr 2008 20:58

Thanks for your help, i'll have a look

Joanne

Smürf

Smürf Report 11 Apr 2008 21:15

I've just had a look and it says i have to pay. so i'll have to wait until pay day. thanks anyway

Joanne

Ivy

Ivy Report 11 Apr 2008 21:23

Hi Joanne,

Did you take a look at the example? You have to scroll down to page 4 to see the type of info it might have.

They put the price up recently from £2 to £3 (more if you want a plan of the property as well) - but I found a site yesterday that charges £30 to extract the info for you - 90% profit to them!

Hope you find some useful info once you have a chance to look.

All the best

Ivy

Ivy Report 11 Apr 2008 21:30

Also, did you have a look at Richard's will:

Description Will of Richard Still Dyke of Burwash , Sussex
Date 25 June 1761
Catalogue reference PROB 11/866links to the Catalogue
Dept Records of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury
Series Prerogative Court of Canterbury and related Probate Jurisdictions: Will Registers

- the extract Janice found suggests that Mary Dyke (nee Jordan) only had entitlement for life - his will may have nominated someone else to take the property after her death?

Smürf

Smürf Report 11 Apr 2008 21:33

Yes i did, i think it's definately worth doing.

I went over today to look at the house but the church was closed, i will find out when it was open and see if they could give me any information

Joanne

Ivy

Ivy Report 11 Apr 2008 21:36

Hi Joanne,

It's wonderful to be able to visit these places, isn't it? My MIL's family were servants at what is now a National Trust property.

If you happen to see any refs to Gainsford or Gaynesford in Cowden, I'd be interested (anything before 1800).

All the best

Smürf

Smürf Report 11 Apr 2008 21:39

Yes there is!!! there is a gainsford cottage along with a gravestone.

Unfortunately i have so many names in my tree i forgot to notice this was one of them. perhaps you'd like to e-mail me? i'll send you my e-mail address.

Diana

Diana Report 13 May 2013 09:12

Richard Still Dyke born 1715 Burwash (the son of Mary Still and Thomas Dyke) inherited Waystrode along with other properties in Kent and Sussex from his Grandfather Richard Still (Will 1726).

He married Ann Jordan in 1755 Burwash Sussex.

In his will written in March 1760 he left all his many properties to his wife Ann including Waystrode in Cowden.

He died in 1761 without issue. His widow, Ann died in 1794, and she, or her executors, sold Waystrode Manor to Haviland from whom the Whatleys acquired it. Source "The History of Cowden" by Guy Ewing.

Reggie

Reggie Report 13 May 2013 09:25

Diana

Did you notice that no-one has posted on here for 5 years?

Diana

Diana Report 20 Oct 2013 09:44

Reggie,

Have just noticed your post for may of this year.

I think Joanne has moved onto other things, and have not been in touch for some time.

May I ask your interest?

Diana