Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth records China?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Victoria

Victoria Report 13 Mar 2009 22:18

Please can anyone advise me as to whether you can search birth records for Shanghai, Chine from the 1800's?

Thanks

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 13 Mar 2009 22:55

Hi there Victoria - would you care to put details on here - I have found people born in China in the past - maybe I can again

Victoria

Victoria Report 14 Mar 2009 10:03

Many thanks Ann I really appreciate that. My great grandmother was born in Shanghai, China (British subject we believe). I am afraid I have no details of her parents though. Her details are as follows:

Minnie Nelson Born 1873, Shanghai, China and I am afraid that is all we know.

There could be a possibility her mothers maiden name was Rogers or Thomas but that is guessing from other family members and tales from elderly relatives but no one really knows.

Vicki

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 14 Mar 2009 12:14

I really thought I'd find her but failed - so sorry - obviously you donlt have her Dad's name?

Victoria

Victoria Report 14 Mar 2009 20:36

Thanks for trying Ann, we don't know anything about her family i am afraid, so not names for her parents and not sure if she had any siblings. An elderly relative has recently told us, she was always led to believe she was half chinese, so we are really curious to know this now and try and trace her. I do now know when she got married to my great grandfather and have the reference number so I think I may order the certifcate which should provide her father's name at least. if I do this and find her fathers name, would you mind if I contact you again to see if you have any more success?

many thanks again for trying

Vicki

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 14 Mar 2009 20:56

contact me any time!! Ann X

Victoria

Victoria Report 20 Apr 2009 08:07

Hi Ann of green Gables
I know its been a while since I posted this thread, but my 2nd cousin heard baout me doing the family tree and has dug out a load of old photos and documents her mum had, one being the marriage certificate of Minnie Nelson and Thomas Rogers Evans.

This lists Minnie father as being called Andrew Nelson, all I know about him now though is he was a Master Mariner and was listed as deceased on the marriage certificate in 1894.

On her mother's side, I am stabbing in the dark here, but when Minnie arrived in England she was staying in the house of Mary Thomas and down as the neice. If I am correct here, she was possibly a first cousin to Thomas Rogers Evans. Thomas Rogers had an aunt Mary (nee Rogers) who married a Captain William Thomas. Minnie's mother could have therefore been Lowri (also known as Laura in English) Rogers. I dont know who Laura/Lowri married but I do know she had at least 2 daughters margaret and Elizabeth, is Minnie a diminutive of Margaret? Or her mother could have been a Thomas.

Would you mind looking at the records from Shanghai again please and seeing if you can find anything on Minnie Nelson or Andrew Nelson and a mother?

Could I also ask you to look up an Ann/Annie Williams (nee Rogers) not sure of birth date somewhere between 1830-1850 I beleive of Carnavon, Wales. Annie Rogers married Captain William Williams and they had children, George, Lillie and Mary, possibly more. All I know is she died in Shangahi, so these children were possible born there and I am trying to trace a Maise or May.

Many thanks

Vicki

EVEIE

EVEIE Report 20 Apr 2009 11:29

Name: Minnie Nelson
Year of Registration: 1894
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
District: Cardiff (1837-1974)
County: Glamorgan, Monmouthshire
Volume: 11a
Page: 540

EVEIE

EVEIE Report 20 Apr 2009 11:32

Nelson
Name: Minnie Nelson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1874
Relation: Niece
Where born: Shaughai, China

Civil Parish: Llanwnda
Ecclesiastical parish: Llanwnda
County/Island: Caernarvonshire

Street address: View Image
Condition as to marriage: View Image
Education: View Image
Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Carnarvon
Sub registration district: Llandwrog
ED, institution, or vessel: 23
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Mary Thomas 52
Minnie Nelson 17
Tillie Williams 15
Mary Williams 13
Mabel Pearson 11
Ada Pearson 9
Elliott D Rogers 3
Jane Thomas 17
William Williams 20
John Hughes 15

EVEIE

EVEIE Report 20 Apr 2009 11:41

Minnie Evans
Age in 1901: 28
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1873
Relation: Daughter-in-law
Spouse's Name: Thomas R
Where born: Shanghai, China

Civil Parish: Llanwnda
Ecclesiastical parish: Llanwnda St Gwyndaf
County/Island: Caernarvonshire

Street address: View Image
Condition as to marriage: View Image
Education: View Image
Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Carnarvon
Sub registration district: Llandwrog
ED, institution, or vessel: 23
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 94
Household Members: Name Age
Richard Evans 70
Margaret Evans 62
Thomas R Evans 36
Minnie Evans 28 >>>> daughter i law
Emily Jones 14
Mary Ann Jones 63
Mary C Jones 35
Margaret A Jones 30

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 16 May 2009 00:13

n

Victoria

Victoria Report 4 Jun 2009 12:45

Jean many thanks for your help here.

I am still not having much luck finding more details on these relatives who were born in China.

To recap Minnie Nelson born 1873 in Shanghai, her father was Andrew Nelson, a mariner. Her mother is a mystery but possibly had the maiden name of Rogers or Thomas. They may also have lived in the Hankow district as well.

I also now know that Annie Williams arrived on the Blue Funnel Steamer The Ajax to Shanghai in 1881, her husband Captain William Williams died a few years later in Shanghai. Annie Williams then married a Mr Pearson - I do not know when, only that she stayed in Shanghai until 1901 and had at least one child - a daughter Mabel Pearson born early 1880s in Shanghai. Again Annie is reported to have lived in the Hnakow district as well.

Vicki

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 4 Jun 2009 13:17

n

Victoria

Victoria Report 5 Jun 2009 13:01

HI
Just found another bit of information out. If anyone can search the Shanghai records I would be very grateful please.

Annie Williams marrying a Mr Pearson 1880's sometime (bit vague I know - sorry).
Annie Pearson - daughter Mabel Pearson born early 1880's Shanghai

May (possibly Mabel? or Maisie) Pearson marrying William Watts-Evans in Shanghai possibly in the 1890's
Children born in Shanghai were
Lloyd Watts-Evans no date of birth
Gwynfryd Watts-Evans born 1903
Dilys Watts-Evans born 1906
Iola Watts-Evans - no date of birth

Many thanks

Vicki

Victoria

Victoria Report 7 Jun 2009 10:13

A little bit m

Victoria

Victoria Report 7 Jun 2009 10:15

ops not sure what happened then.

was going to add it seems once the family came back to Anglesey, they were simply known as Evans not Watts-Evans, there fore it may be Evans and not Watts-Evans in China as well.

Paul

Paul Report 7 Jun 2009 10:25

Ann
Is there any chance you could share what sites you access to get information about records in China?

Victoria

Victoria Report 7 Jun 2009 12:33

Any advice/help/pointers in the right direction would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks

Victoria

Victoria Report 2 Nov 2009 13:10

Just going through all my threads and wnated to say despite all the hard worki on this one, and numerous avenues explored I have never been able to find Minnie's birth registration so I think I am going to have to accept I may never know who her mother was, which is a shame, thanks though to all those who tried to help me.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 2 Nov 2009 16:35

China can be found on the free Mormon LDS site