Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

MARR

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Locket18

Locket18 Report 29 Sep 2009 16:49

PLEASE HELP! I have tried in vain for nearly two years to find this man - Thomas Marr (Tommy). He came from Easington, Co Durham but died in a motorcylce accident in 1966/7. This is the only record I can find (remotely near):

HELP required! Thomas Marr

I am trying to trace a death of a Thomas (Tommy) Marr from Easington, Co Durham in either 1966 or 1967. I am told that he died in a motorcycle accident but I cannot find any record of this anywhere. He will of only been late teens or early twenties.

DEATH..

YEAR .. 1966
QUARTER .. Jan-Feb-Mar
Thomas MARR 21yrs
DISTRICT .. Liverpool
Vol. .. 8b
Page .. 115

As you can see though it states Liverpool??? If anyone can find a birth on this man, a marriage or children maybe. Or even info on his parents and siblings you have no idea how happy and relieved I will be. Thank you in advance.

Locket18

Locket18 Report 29 Sep 2009 21:14

Thank you so much for your help, can you tell me who the parents were and the siblings. This is extremely important to me.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 29 Sep 2009 21:32

HAPPY.
A very good site for you is Durham.gov.uk.

Found this marriage
Reuben Marr married 1934 to Ada M Hope on there .
You will be able to search for births but unfortunately it doesnt give mother maiden name

Its free

The accident would be reported in the local newspaper in Liverpool. Perhaps the library might have details

Locket18

Locket18 Report 29 Sep 2009 22:06

How can I know for sure that these are the same person? What info would the death record state? I shall take your advice and take the Liverpool newspaper angle. Thank you.

Gemma

Gemma Report 29 Sep 2009 22:12

Birth

Name: Thomas Marr
Mother's Maiden Surname: Hartley
Date of Registration: Apr May Jun 1935
Registration district: Easington
Registration county: Durham
Volume Number: 10a
Maybe this is his birth he would of been 31 on the year of death you gave ??

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 29 Sep 2009 22:14

Information on the death record would give his age, cause of death ,name of informant, place of death,and not sure if it will state his usual address? but somebody on here will know if that is correct.

If you are not local to Liverpool to be able to check the newspapers yourself it could be a bit tricky with you not knowing the exact date of death, should this death you have found be the right one, then you can tackle the newspapers, as the record office will search around the death date, but asking them to search a year is a bit too much. However two newspapers being Liverpool Post and the Liverpool Echo are a good start.

Annx

Locket18

Locket18 Report 30 Sep 2009 09:30

Ann,

Will the newspapers have achive information going back that far?

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 30 Sep 2009 09:55

Hello,
The best suggestion has already been given and would be to email the main library in Liverpool. Give them the full name, date of when the accident occurred and politely ask if it is possible for anyone to check if there were any reports in the local newspapers. I have had some excellent help from various librarians across the country some of whom appear to love the challenge.

Wildgoose

Wildgoose Report 30 Sep 2009 10:16

HAPPY - In answer to your question; yes, the newspaper archives should go back that far. Our library has newspapers on film going back hundreds of years.

Locket18

Locket18 Report 17 Dec 2014 13:56

Even if this man did die in Liverpool (maybe working there) if he was from the North East of England then surely his death notice and indeed his funeral would not have been held in Liverpool but back in Co Durham for his family?

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 17 Dec 2014 14:04

You don't appear to have taken the advice given...........

And you misread it.

The suggestion was that you ask for a report of the ACCIDENT!!!

If the info was so' important' to you, wouldn't it have made sense to have got a copy of the death cert?

Is this connected with your current request for info about a lady to whom you are not related?

Your knowledge of Mr Marr seems equally lacking in factual detail.

You say he 'came from' Easington......do you mean he was born there................or that he lived there at some stage?

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 17 Dec 2014 14:16

I don't know where you got the death info you posted.

The GRO refs you quote are for BRIDGEND

There was no district named just 'Liverpool' in 1966

Locket18

Locket18 Report 17 Dec 2014 14:53

OK thank I this info for the death notice was sent to me I simply copied and pasted. He was born and raised in Easington, Co Durham. There is no connection.

Rambling

Rambling Report 17 Dec 2014 15:10

Unless I am misreading, i can't find the death you mention ( looking on Ancestry and freebmd) ?

Rambling

Rambling Report 17 Dec 2014 15:14

Locket it might help if you posted what your connection is? in order to find anything on him it will help to know something definite on how old he might have been, but not matching with that age

?

Births Mar 1945 (>99%)
Marr Thomas Hope Durham C. 10a 606

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 17 Dec 2014 17:17

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/trying_to_find/thread/1067803?d=asc

(above had below reply)

Chris :)

Julcoe Report 3 Aug 2008 14:14

DEATH..

YEAR .. 1966
QUARTER .. Jan-Feb-Mar
Thomas MARR 21yrs
DISTRICT .. Liverpool
Vol. .. 8b
Page .. 115

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 18 Dec 2014 00:32

hi locket, have only found 1 Thomas Marr born in 1945 in Durham he was 1 of 5 children . there mother was a Hope who was married to a Reuben Marr in 1934 Hope this is of help to you.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 18 Dec 2014 11:31

No idea where that GR member got the death 'info' It simply does not exist

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 Dec 2014 11:53

a previous thread
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1269277

Locket, did you check out the deaths in Scotland that were mentioned by Jonesey on that thread?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 18 Dec 2014 12:15

It is on FreeBMD as posted except the year is 1866 not 1966.

Deaths Mar 1866 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BANKS Alice 79 Liverpool 8b 115
Birmingham Winifred 0 Liverpool 8b 115
Fisher Charlotte 47 Liverpool 8b 115
GOULDING George 1 Liverpool 8b 115
Hughes Henry 56 Liverpool 8b 115
LEWIN John 60 Liverpool 8b 115
*****Marr Thomas 21 Liverpool 8b 115
Power Mary 38 Liverpool 8b 115
ROWAN Michael 6 Liverpool 8b 115
WALSH Mary 15 Liverpool 8b 115