Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John E Mcgah

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley

Shirley Report 7 Apr 2010 09:35

John was in the merchant navey when he died in 15/11/42..his wife was called Rose Gertrude and children Jeannie, Clive and Johnie.my fathers name was Leo Patrick Mcgah and i believe he may have been Johns brother. does any one know of them.
kind regards
shirley frances mcgah

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 7 Apr 2010 12:20

Have you tried a search on this site
Liz

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 8 Apr 2010 03:27

Is this him?

Name: McGAH, JOHN EDWARD
Initials: J E
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Naval Auxiliary Personnel (Merchant Navy)
Unit Text: H.M.S. Avenger
Date of Death: 15/11/1942
Service No: 125487
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 7, Column 1.
Memorial: LIVERPOOL NAVAL MEMORIAL

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 8 Apr 2010 03:34

Would this be his birth?

Births Jun 1902 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

McGAH John Edward Rochdale 8e 71

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 8 Apr 2010 03:37

The only birth I can see of a Leo McGah. Is this your father?

Births Mar 1920 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MCGAH Leo McGah Rochdale 8e 31

Would he have had a brother 18 years older?
Just noticed mother's maiden name is McGah.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 8 Apr 2010 03:41

John Edward's marriage?

Marriages Mar 1926 (>99%)

Banks Rose G McGah Dover 2a 1641
McGah John E Banks Dover 2a 1641

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 8 Apr 2010 03:43

John Edward's 3 children:

Births Sep 1926 (>99%)

McGah Jean C Banks Dover 2a 1901

Births Mar 1928 (>99%)

McGah Clive Banks Dover 2a 1824

Births Sep 1934 (>99%)

McGah Marian R Banks Dover 2a 1870

Shirley

Shirley Report 9 Apr 2010 13:13

Hi Liz.
Hope this is a reply by thread.
As you may have gathered i am not very good at this at the moment
Kind regards
Shirley

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 9 Apr 2010 13:39

Yes, you have succeeded in replying on the thread, Shirley, but you haven't said anything.
Was any of this info any use to you?
Do you not have your father's birth certificate to get parents' names?

Shirley

Shirley Report 9 Apr 2010 18:16

Leo Patrick Mcgah , my father, said he had a brother called John . They were both on different ships in the war and managed to wave to each other but John never returned.I looked in the war records and found only 1 John Mcgah who died at sea.My dad said his mum Ellen Mcgah was not married when he was born.Her father also a john mcgah died 25/3/22 162 birch hill house, wardle rochdale.I have the birth cert and death certificate for Ellen but cannot ask my father any thing else because he died a few years ago.
I type with one finger so it takes ages to get back
Kind regards
Shirley

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 9 Apr 2010 18:54

Oh, I'm ahead of you, Shirley, I type with 2 fingers.
I'm still trying to get my head around your family.
The John who died at sea definitely seems to be the one born 1902 and married Rose in 1926.
Your father was born 1920 to Ellen whose father John died in 1922.
This seems to be his death, making him born 1855:
Deaths Mar 1922 (>99%)

McGah John 67 Rochdale 8e 140

Now there's a John McGah on the 1901 census, born 1853 Rochdale. His wife is Mary and there's a 15 year old son Tommy.

There's also an Ellen McGah on the 1901 census. She's a boarder with another family in Rochdale. She was born 1883 in Bradford, Yorkshire. Could she have been the mother of both Edward in 1902 and your father in 1920?

We need someone with access to the 1911 census. Any takers?

Shirley

Shirley Report 9 Apr 2010 19:06

John mcgah 1855-1922 Daughter Ellen Mcgah 1886-1931
Son leo Patrick Mcgah 24/02/20--november 2002
My self Shirley Frances Mcgah daughter of Leo 10/1051
My brother Michael Anthony Mcgah 31/03/55- 07/08/06
I guess im hoping John E Mcgah is related to my dad

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 9 Apr 2010 19:09

On the 1891 census there's a Mary McGah, 34, married, with Ellen 8 and Thomas, 6 in a lodging house in Bolton, Lancs. Further down the page is John McGah, 37, married. They're all born Rochdale.

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 9 Apr 2010 19:13

Is this the family in l9ll - the original states there were three children, and one had died - Liz
1911 census - household transcription
Person: MCGAH, Mary
Address: 11 Ebenezer Place Rochdale Lancashire

MCGAH, Mary Head Married
29 years F 53 1858 Housekeeper Rochdale Lancs VIEW
MCGAH, Thomas Son Single M 26 1885 Hawker General Oldham Lancs VIEW
MCGAH, Ellen Daughter Single F 28 1883 Mill Operative Bradford Yorks VIEW
MCGAH, John Grandson M 8 1903 Bradford Lancs VIEW

RG number:
RG14 Piece:
24657 Reference:
RG14PN24657 RG78PN1414 RD470 SD5 ED7 SN374

Registration District:
Rochdale Sub District:
Wardleworth EnumerationDistrict:
7 Parish:
Rochdale

Address:
11 Ebenezer Place Rochdale Lancashire County:
Lancashire

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 9 Apr 2010 19:14

You could always send off for the birth certificate of John in 1902 that I posted earlier. If it shows that the mother was Ellen then I would say that he's definitely your father's brother.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 9 Apr 2010 19:18

Oh yes! My message crossed with Liz's. I think that 1911 census proves that John was the son of Ellen and we know that your father was the son of Ellen. Further proof is Ellen's brother Thomas is there, 2 years younger than Ellen.
Thanks. Liz.

Shirley

Shirley Report 19 Apr 2010 11:15

Hi L iz
I have now aquired J E Mcgahs war graves photo to all those who died on hms avenger. Thank you for your reply
I need to get his birth certificate next.Sorry about late reply but i type with 1 finger and my work takes up a lot of my time.
I wish i had photos of my dad Leo Patrick Mcgah as a child and my grand mother etc but when he was torpedoed he lost all his photos. I can only imagine what they all looked like.
kind regards
Shirley

Shirley

Shirley Report 19 Apr 2010 12:28

Hi Margaret. Applied for the photos of the war memorial at liverpool of John e mcgah and the others who lost their lives on the hms avenger. how do i get a copy of his birth certificate.?
Many thanks
Shirley
Gosh! I must learn to type with more fingers. lol

Shirley

Shirley Report 19 Apr 2010 12:29

Hi Margaret. Applied for the photos of the war memorial at liverpool of John e mcgah and the others who lost their lives on the hms avenger. how do i get a copy of his birth certificate.?
Many thanks
Shirley
Gosh! I must learn to type with more fingers. lol

Shirley

Shirley Report 27 Apr 2010 13:35

Hi Margaret
Ye hah !!! Have sent off for John E Mcgahs birth certificate. I am now wondering if my grand mother had other children because of the 18 year gap between the two sons.
She was born a Mcgah and died a mcgah and although i have no children, i also keep my birth name.
I am looking forward to the cert arriving.
Many thanks for your help. Have a brill day
Shirley