Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WALSH & MARSH

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 21 Sep 2011 11:07

I managed to find my mother's Birthday and place - Bertha Nunn [nee WALSH] - Born 15th Feb 1896 at 8 Ellesmere Street, LEIGH, Lancs.
Her father was Edward Walsh, her mother Elizabeth [Marsh] maiden name.. For some reason Bertha was placed in an Institution in Middlesborough in 1900/1901.
I have tried to find the marriage Cert. of Edward and Elizabeth without success. [At a guess it could be 1894-1896], assuming this would be in Leigh....This may have lead me to their DOB etc.,..
Was Bertha placed in the Institution because her father had died, and her mother couldn't cope - were they also placed in an Institution ??
I would dearly like to know why the Institution. She was still in the 'Home' in 1911...Any kind person who is willing to look for these two would be absolutely Great.................... John
[Methinks I originally posted this in the wrong place - Stupid springs to mind... Still................]

Mike *

Mike * Report 21 Sep 2011 11:15

Mistranscribed on index ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Dec 1882 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***********Marsh Elizabeth Ann - Leigh 8c 370
PRESCOTT Jane Ellen Leigh 8c 370
SNAPE Robert Leigh 8c 370
*************Welch Edward - Leigh 8c 370

Looks like the marriage cert has it as Welch too

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1882

MARSH Elizabeth Ann - WELCH Edward
Leigh Register Office or Registrar Attended Wigan & Leigh

Mike *

Mike * Report 21 Sep 2011 11:28

Doubtful this is your Edward but you never know !!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deaths Dec 1898
Walsh Edward - 64 - Leigh 8c 157

John

John Report 21 Sep 2011 11:36

Many thanks Mike, the problem now being, is, is his name WELCH or WALSH... I've studied the birth cert for Bertha and the 1911 census for the Institution in 'Boro, and they both come up with Welsh...
But as you say - the name Welsh/Welch could be easily misinterpretated way back in 1882... Many, many thanks... John

Mike *

Mike * Report 21 Sep 2011 11:36

Just in case you struggle to find your mum's marriage cert, there's a number missing from the index so they don't show up together when searching.

Marriages Jun 1919 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Walsh Bertha E - Nunn - Auckland 10a _59
Nunn John R - Walsh - Auckland 10a 559

Potty

Potty Report 21 Sep 2011 11:37

John, please would you post the 1901 census for Bertha as I can't find her.

John

John Report 21 Sep 2011 11:38

Mike, that Edward Walsh, dead @ 1898, could be a lead.. Cheers, John.

John

John Report 21 Sep 2011 11:42

Potty, sorry I don't have the 1901 census [I couldn't find her either].. The only census I have seen is 1911 when it stated that Bertha was 16 and an Inmate in Middlesboro'... I think she may have been in the 'Home' in 1901, but I can't locate that particular census... John

John

John Report 21 Sep 2011 11:43

Potty, sorry I don't have the 1901 census [I couldn't find her either].. The only census I have seen is 1911 when it stated that Bertha was 16 and an Inmate in Middlesboro'... I think she may have been in the 'Home' in 1901, but I can't locate that particular census... John

John

John Report 21 Sep 2011 11:45

Mike. I do have my mother's marriage cert.. She did create a problem by putting her name down as "Bertha Elizabeth" and that was the 'name' I searched for... However, she was just plain old Bertha.... John

John

John Report 21 Sep 2011 11:59

Mike. I do have my mother's marriage cert.. She did create a problem by putting her name down as "Bertha Elizabeth" and that was the 'name' I searched for... However, she was just plain old Bertha.... John

John

John Report 21 Sep 2011 12:52

Please correct one of my 'posts' - I said "both come up with Welsh" - I should have said "both come up with WALSH"....... John

Mike *

Mike * Report 21 Sep 2011 14:50

Hopefully, once you have the marriage cert for Edward & Elizabeth giving ages and fathers, you can find Edward and see what name he was registered with.

John

John Report 21 Sep 2011 16:30

That's true Mike, it's finding the marriage, there's that many..... John

Mike *

Mike * Report 21 Sep 2011 17:29

Thought we'd decided that the 1882 one is theirs.

You can apply for the cert online from

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

Quoting reference number - Leigh 8c 370

John

John Report 21 Sep 2011 19:24

Yes Mike, I agree. It's Just the difference in the spelling of the name which was putting me off... But it is well worth a try.
Again, many, many thanks...You've been a great help... John.

John

John Report 21 Sep 2011 21:06

How is it that I can find information on the marriage of Edward Welch in 1894 in Leigh, Lancs, [8c 360], yet I can't find any information on his bride Elizabeth Marsh for the same year?...

The thing is Mike the Edward Welch [8c 370] married 1882, would mean that they were married 14 years before Bertha came on the scene, that seems a long time.
The 1894 [8c 360] seems more appropriate. But where do i find his wife .??? ps. I've been in touch with the GRO regarding Certs..
If I'm 'thick' please tell me :-)

Mike *

Mike * Report 21 Sep 2011 23:44

These are the 2 couples.

So Edward Welch married either Julia Noon or Elizabeth Wilkinson

Don't suppose Elizabeth Marsh was married previously????
If so, it could be her

Marriages Mar 1894 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Noon Julia Leigh 8c 360
Welch Edward Leigh 8c 360
Wilkinson Elizabeth Leigh 8c 360
Yates Robert Leigh 8c 360

Mike *

Mike * Report 21 Sep 2011 23:55

That particular Edward married Julia, so it's not your couple.

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1894
WELCH Edward - NOON Julia
Leigh Register Office or Registrar Attended Wigan & Leigh

Mike *

Mike * Report 22 Sep 2011 00:23

Regarding the length of time between the 1882 marriage and Bertha's birth .... did she not have any older brothers and sisters ?