Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help Where Do I Go From Here?? UPDATED AGAIN

Page 0 + 1 of 5

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Kim

Kim Report 7 Dec 2011 15:07

I have my husband's grandmother's small original birth certificate that shows she was born Lily Jenny BOSWELL on 19th February 1919 Mile End, London, England.

I also have her marriage certificate showing her name as Lilian Jenny BOSWELL to Sydney William THOMPSON dated 31st July 1938. Married in Bethnal Green, London.
Father's name Jack BOSWELL occupation Carman
Living at 60 Sceptre Street, Bethnal Green, London. Sydney's family were living at 61.

I have her death certificate also with the name Lilian Jenny THOMPSON 28 February 2001 in Bethnal Green, London.

Now my problem I ordered her large birth certificate to obtain her mother's maiden name and it has a different birth date on it! It is given as 13 th March 1919 which is after the date the original entry was registered.
It gives the mother's maiden name as WHITLEY. I have contacted the registry office for advice and they cannot give a reason and have re checked the records which they say as correct.

I cannot find a BOSWELL WHITLEY marriage

I know Lily/Lilian had at least one sister who was known as Ginny but don't know her real name, I am guessing it may have been Virginia but not sure.
Lily's is the only birth that show with a BOSWELL WHITLEY cross reference.

Ok my question how do I go on from here??

Mike *

Mike * Report 7 Dec 2011 15:26

What was Lily's mother's first name ?
She may have been married before so you could be looking for a Boswell/ somethingelse marriage

Kim

Kim Report 7 Dec 2011 15:29

Edited >>> Sorry no idea all the birth certificate says is MRS BOSWELL not Mrs Whitley.

Not helpful at all which is why I ask them to recheck the details with all the issues on it.

Potty

Potty Report 7 Dec 2011 15:33

Where did you get the birth cert from and query it with? Was it the GRO or the local Registrar's office? So in the column for Mother's name does it say Mrs Boswell formerly Mrs Whitley? And is it the same name for the informant?

Is the father's name the same as on the marriage cert?

Barbara

Barbara Report 7 Dec 2011 15:35

For Jack you should also search John

Mike *

Mike * Report 7 Dec 2011 15:37

If mother is recorded as Mrs Whitley then she won't be Mr Boswell's wife.

Kim

Kim Report 7 Dec 2011 15:37

It came from the GRO and was queried with them too. I assumed at first they had read the wrong lines, sort of cross referenced.

Mile End Old Town registry no longer exists so could not check with them.

My mistake it states MRS BOSWELL not Mrs Whitley, there is no previously .... and the informant was Jack Boswell (father).

Kim

Kim Report 7 Dec 2011 15:39

I have been searching for both John and Jack but I don't know how old he was when Lily was born or when and where he was born,

There is a birth for a Jack Boswell 1892 Sept Qu, Bethnal Green

There is also one for John Henry Boswell 1892 Sept Qu, Bethnal Green.

patchem

patchem Report 7 Dec 2011 15:44

Just because I am still confused:
Births Jun 1919
Boswell Lily J Whitley Mile End 1c 432

Kim

Kim Report 7 Dec 2011 15:46

Yes that is the birth certificate I have and that states date of birth 13th March 1919 Mother MRS BOSWELL informant Jack Boswell.

I also have the original little one that was given out and that states born 19th February 1919 registered 27th February 1919. Mile End Old Town.

Edited>>> Same entry and page number.

Barbara

Barbara Report 7 Dec 2011 15:49

1911 census transcription details for: 19 Cambridge Circus Bethnal Green

National Archive Reference:

RG14PN1389 RG78PN49 RD17 SD1 ED8 SN282

Reg. District: Bethnal Green Sub District: Bethnal Green North East
Parish: Bethnal Green Enum. District: 8

Address: 19 Cambridge Circus Bethnal Green
County: London

Name Relation Condition/
Yrs married Sex Age Birth
Year Occupation Where Born

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BOSWELL, Sophia Head Widow F 56 1855 Washing And Mangling Bromley by Bow London

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BOSWELL, Annie Daughter Single F 21 1890 Tin Toy Maker Bethnal Green London

BOSWELL, John Son M 18 1893 Carman Bethnal Green London <<<<<<

BOSWELL, Jennie Daughter F 16 1895 Dollmaker Bethnal Green London

Kim

Kim Report 7 Dec 2011 15:50

Oooh Barbara that looks promising as that gives the same occupation as when daughter married.

Plus the other daughter is named Jennie which is Lily's middle name.

Thank you.

Helen

Helen Report 7 Dec 2011 15:50

British Army WWI Pension Records 1914-1920 about Jack Boswell
Name: Jack Boswell
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892
Age at enlistment: 23
Document Year: 1915
Regimental Number: 5909
Regiment Name: Queens Regiment
Number of images: 5

Occupation carman, wifes name looks like Roseta

patchem

patchem Report 7 Dec 2011 15:51

Do you know where or when Jack died?

Added:
Cannot see a birth for Virginia Boswell or Whitley.

Kim

Kim Report 7 Dec 2011 15:52

Aw Helen my husband said he remember his aunt saying their was someone called Rosetta but she didn't know who she was.

Kim

Kim Report 7 Dec 2011 15:54

No but my husband said they never left Bethnal Green all their lives so would guess there.

I have been with my husband 25 years and he was dead before then. Sorry I am thinking of Lily's husband lol. I'm confusing myself now!!

Helen

Helen Report 7 Dec 2011 15:54

London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906 about Jack Boswell
Name: Jack Boswell
Record Type: Baptism
Estimated Birth Date: abt 1892
Baptism Date: 27 Jul 1892
Father's Name: John Boswell
Mother's Name: Sophia Boswell
Parish or Poor Law Union: Bethnal Green St John
Borough: Tower Hamlets
Register Type: Parish Registers

patchem

patchem Report 7 Dec 2011 15:58

?
Marriages Mar 1915
Boswell John Smith Bethnal G. 1c 263
Smith Rosetta Boswell Bethnal G. 1c 263

?
Rosetta Boswell
Birth Date: abt 1882
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1960
Age at Death: 78
Registration district: Stepney
Inferred County: London
Volume: 5d
Page: 552

Kim

Kim Report 7 Dec 2011 16:00

I saw that marriage and dismissed it because of the different maiden name but as someone else said she could of been married before.

Helen

Helen Report 7 Dec 2011 16:06

Married st anthonys stepney, Feb 22nd 1915, thats if its the right man. Living 45 Sceptre Street.