Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Williams Family

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lexie

Lexie Report 26 Nov 2012 15:04

Please could anyone tell me the best way to approach this.I am looking for information on a John Williams date of birth not known.In 1930 he is living 5 Woodyard cottages Walton Wakefield Yorkshire.He is believed to have come over from Wales with others to open a shaft at Walton Pit.John was not Welsh he is thought to come from either Devon or Cornwall.At some point he is believed to have been in the Merchant Navy.John had several children Ivy Lilly or Lillian Bill Jim or James he also had a daughter a Rosina Susie Williams who married 1930 in Wakefield.Thank you

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Nov 2012 15:08

How do you know his 1930 address?

Are you assuming the daughter was living at 'home' when she married?

Obvious first step - find out when the daughter was born..............

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Nov 2012 15:09

Births Mar 1907 (>99%)
Williams Rosina Susie Cardiff 11a 489

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Nov 2012 15:12

Who was John's wife?

Where did you learn the names of the other children he fathered?

Adeline

Adeline Report 26 Nov 2012 15:16

If you don't know the name of John's wife, I would go down the route of buying Rosina's birth certificate - details shown above - which will show the names of her parents including her mother's maiden name. You can then look for the marriage of John Williams and the mother and that marriage certificate will give John's father's name as well as John's age.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Nov 2012 15:16

Linked

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1298874

Lexie

Lexie Report 26 Nov 2012 15:22

Hello Reggie I obtained marriage cert for Rosina and address was Wood Yard Cottages.The family remember them living there but nothing else.The family did not know his name untill i got cert but they thought his wife could have been Elizabeth.I cant find any trace of the other children either being born in Wales or Yorkshire

Adeline

Adeline Report 26 Nov 2012 15:33

I can't see a Rosina with a father named John in the 1911 census. Have you found the family, Lexie?

Lexie

Lexie Report 26 Nov 2012 15:41

I have looked and looked both in Welsh census and English but cant come up with any family member.Would there be any chance of finding him in the Merchant Navy i think he was on ships with food and sugar cargo.Thanks

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Nov 2012 16:12

I couldn't see Rosina in either England or Wales in 1911

You may have to resort to getting her birth cert

You mention other children................do you know if they were older, or younger, than Rosina?

Lexie

Lexie Report 26 Nov 2012 16:45

Im sorry i just dont know.THe lady who gave me this information is Rose Bland daughter of Rosina Susie and i think she must have known some if not all of them when she was young.Rose Bland was born in 1931 so i think that some of the children of John must have been in the family home in the 1930s.If this is correct i guess some of them would also have married in Wakefied about this time.Thanks for your help

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Nov 2012 09:29

This seems too much of a coincidence not to be relevant

Marriages Jun 1930 (>99%)

KNOWLES George Williams Wakefield 9c 171
Williams Ivy G N Knowles Wakefield 9c 171

Births Sep 1908 (>99%)

Williams Ivy Gladys N Cardiff 11a 500

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Nov 2012 09:36

????????

Marriages Sep 1925 (>99%)

McNicholas William Williams Wakefield 9c 144
WILLIAMS Lily McNicholas Wakefield 9c 144

Lexie

Lexie Report 22 Mar 2013 09:45

Belated thanks just got back to looking at this side of family

The two marriages you mention are correct.

Other siblings of Rosina were John William Tom and James all seem to have been born 1900/1911 so why dont any of them show up on any census

Thank you

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Mar 2013 10:54

Please post the birth info for them

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Mar 2013 10:58

Marriages Dec 1930 (>99%)
Richardson John R Williams Wakefield 9c 135
Williams Rosina S Richardson Wakefield 9c 135

Who witnessed the marriage?

Lexie

Lexie Report 22 Mar 2013 11:24

Thank you for your reply

The witnesses for the above marriage were
Lily McNicholas who married William sister of Rosina

George Knowles who married Ivy who was also sister of Rosina

I have no other birth info for the other siblings the dates given to me were from the daughter of Rosina

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Mar 2013 11:31

Well, you'll need to find the birth info..............no-one can look for them in censuses without it

But.......why don't you buy Rosina's birth cert?

Lexie

Lexie Report 22 Mar 2013 13:16

If i buy birth cert will it give me the maiden name of mother.Please can you tell me what year the mothers name started to be added to birth certs.
Thank you

BarbaraFromYorkshire

BarbaraFromYorkshire Report 22 Mar 2013 23:17

Hi Lexie,

Yes the Mums maiden name should be on the birth cert, ( I have certs from 1840's with mothers maiden name on them)

If the mum had been married more than once it should say
Mother ? ? (full forename/s and married surname)
Formaly ? (first married surname)
Nee ? (Maiden surname)

It was just that from Sept Quarter 1911 the mothers maiden name was also added to the Birth Index.

Hope this helps

Barbara xx