Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Maria Lumb Atkinson/Major Richard Clarke

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ladytee

ladytee Report 27 Nov 2012 20:43

Maria Lumb Atkinson m Major Richard Clarke 6/04/1813 St Mary's Newington (Ldn) Surrey - IGI record doesn't show parents.

Census Maria:1841 age 45 not born in Surrey, 1851 age 59 b Swillington Yorks, 1861 age 70 b same, 1871 age 78 b same, d Clapham Surrey 13/05/1873 age 81.
Census Major Richard: 1841 age 45, not born in Surrey, 1851 age 58 b Shotsham, Norfolk, 1861 age 68 b Norwich Norfolk, 1871 age 77 b P?? Norfolk, d Clapham 25/01/1877 age 85.

Can you help me snag the parentage on this couple so I can continue up the tree? Thanks. LT

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 27 Nov 2012 20:59

Based on what I've learned from watching Sharpe, it wasn't usual for 'common' men to be raised from the ranks so your Major Richard Clarke may have had some social standing behind him. Have you been able to work out what regiment he was in? I'm wondering if Debretts or Burkes might just have something on him and some family information.

It might be that if you can work out what regiments were commissioned around that time, some historical records might be available. I don't know if any newspapers still exist from that time.

Sorry can't think of anything else.

ladytee

ladytee Report 27 Nov 2012 21:01

i thought he was too young to actually be a Major in the army, and his career seems to be a painter/plumber .... I took it as an odd christian name as Richard is what census capture him as.

Mike *

Mike * Report 27 Nov 2012 21:05

Maria Lumb Atkinson
Born: 1791 in Swillington, Yorkshire, England

Major Richard Clarke
Birth About 1793 in Shotsham Norfolk
Death 25 January 1877 in Wandsworth, Surrey

ladytee

ladytee Report 27 Nov 2012 21:07

Thank you Mike. Is info online somewhere so I can get her parents? LT

Eileen

Eileen Report 27 Nov 2012 21:07

The entry says Major Richard Clarke and Minor (? him or Maria!) and Maria Lumb spinster one witness was Richard \valrke. Those entries don't give the parents names,so could be her father or another male relation. Dated 6/4/1813
Eileen

Mike *

Mike * Report 27 Nov 2012 21:09

daughter
Maria Louisa Clarke
1823 – 1890

The info is from a tree on ancestry.
Merely quoting ... I cannot vouch for it

ladytee

ladytee Report 27 Nov 2012 21:10

Cheers Eileen, didn't have the witness bit but IGI did give up the date. No point in me even doing a reccie when in Ldn if parents not recorded. LT

ladytee

ladytee Report 27 Nov 2012 21:12

yeah Mike I have all the kids ... I'm stuck on the upward motion ,ha ha LT

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 27 Nov 2012 21:14

County West Riding YKS
Place Swillington
Church St Marys
RegisterNumber
DateOfBirth
BaptismDate 20 Jan 1790
Forename Maria
Sex F
FatherForename
MotherForename Mary
FatherSurname
MotherSurname LUMB
Abode
FatherOccupation
Notes Illegitimate Child

(not sure of above, from below link)

http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl

Chris :)

Eileen

Eileen Report 27 Nov 2012 21:14

Oh dear my fingers! should have read witness Richard Clarke!!
Eileen

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 27 Nov 2012 21:15

Deaths Mar 1877

CLARKE Major Richard 85 Wandsworth 1d 387

So Major was a name, not a title.

It's very fanciful, but maybe he was actually Richard Major Clarke. There are a couple of illegitimate Richards born around the 1790's

County Norfolk
Place Norwich
Church St. Stephens
RegisterNumber 6
DateOfBirth 20 Jan 1793
BaptismDate 28 Jan 1793
Forename Richard
Sex M
FatherForename
MotherForename Sarah
FatherSurname
MotherSurname CLARK
Abode
FatherOccupation
Notes Privately.

County Norfolk
Place Taverham
Church St Edmund
RegisterNumber
DateOfBirth
BaptismDate 07 Jun 1792
Forename Richard
Sex M
FatherForename
MotherForename Mary
FatherSurname
MotherSurname CLARK
Abode
FatherOccupation
Notes Listed As A Pauper.

Often the mother used the father's surname as a middle name for the child.

ladytee

ladytee Report 27 Nov 2012 21:19

Chris, I noted that illegitimate birth & always thought it to be her .. but couldn't hook the birth year in with other albeit wobbly courses (census)... nor the Atkinson bit, but that could have been the natural father or mum even amrried later. There is a marriage of Mary Lumb & John Atkinson 29/11/1790 in York but again nothing to confirm this would be her mum and dad. LT

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 27 Nov 2012 21:20

A tree on Ancestry shows him as Richard Major Clarke b. 1793 to parents Richard Clarke and Elizabeth Skoyles.

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 27 Nov 2012 21:23

Remembering a question of my own some months back when I had a 'Baron' in the family I wondered about 'Major' as a first name.

There's masses and I only did from Sept 1837 until Dec 1840 on FreeBMD.

J

ladytee

ladytee Report 27 Nov 2012 21:24

Beverley: yup, got the death cert ... & the Major bit is back in front again. Interesting what you say about dad's surname sometimes being used as a christian name ..... I must keep that gem in mind. If it ends up as illegitimate, dead on on both of them I think. LT

Jozephine

Jozephine Report 22 Dec 2013 14:16

Hi,
Just picking this up after a long break. I have never been able to determine whether he is Richard Major, or Major Richard, but it's definitely a name and probably a Mother's maiden name. The name of the parents shows up on the banns.

The surname Clark seems to have been gentrified when they moved to London, so worth looking for previous generations without the E.

I'm still drawing a blank but haven't been back at this for long. My Dad lives near Shotesham so I will have a dig round when I visit.