Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas, Sarah ,charlotte Roberts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 6 Mar 2013 22:08

No i realised you'd given an example it wasn't at all confusing your explanation was spot on .and yes it's great that its free the more I use it the more i'll get used to it .I'll have another quick play around with other names tonight .

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 6 Mar 2013 21:52

Oh dear,my example may have put you off as I gave the actual ref to show where the info icon and spectacles were. :-(

If you had actually been searching for Louisa Eayres, you could have just put in her names, and dates between which to search, to see what came up as a possibility for her.

Obviously the more information you have, the easier it is to find the event you're looking for, but it's a very useful tool - especially when kind people like you take the time to add postems.

The great thing about FreeBmd is that it is free.

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 6 Mar 2013 17:39

Kucinta : thanks for walking me through that step by step I managed to add a postem for the marriage certificate would never have managed without your instructions and couldn't do it a 2nd time must have been too tired .
It's the first time I've used that site ;it seems like you have to know all the information before you search .

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 5 Mar 2013 21:33

Hi Alisoun

When you go to FreeBMD

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

Look up the event - birth, marriage, whatever.

eg

Births Jun 1850 (>99%)
Eayres Louisa Sarah Ann Shoreditch 2 420

To the right of '420' will be an 'info' button and a pair of spectacles. Click on either of those, and the opportunity to 'add a postem' will come up, with an explanation of what one is.

You only have 250 characters, but that's usually enough to get the key information down.

Thanks for thinking of others. :-)

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 5 Mar 2013 20:49

Marie celeste ;my previous thread was requesting info for what turned out to be the wrong Charlotte roberts ,I just want to donate the certificates now .

Kucinta + Mike sorry I'm not very google trained but I'll try that

It would be nice to give something back after all help I 've had.
Thanks all

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 5 Mar 2013 20:12

You could also add the details of the certificates as a postem to the relevant index entry at FreeBMD. Might either save someone else the cost of a cert, or let them know they're planning to buy the right one.

I think it's worth doing with all the certs we get, as they are so expensive now. :-)

Mike *

Mike * Report 5 Mar 2013 20:11

Sorry, I just assumed you would get it from Google.

Here's the link ...

http://www.bmdshare.com/

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 5 Mar 2013 20:11

Alisoun, do you have a previous thread on this?

Yes:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1300276

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 5 Mar 2013 20:06

sorry what thread is bmdshare on ?
forgot to mention family origins ;thomas almwych
sarah' carters parents newcasle on tyne
charlotte liverpool

Mike *

Mike * Report 5 Mar 2013 19:58

You could enter the details on bmdshare

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 5 Mar 2013 19:25

Having researched the wrong Charlotte Roberts .I am now in possession of marriage cert of her parents Thomas =Sarah Carter 1869
charlottes birth cert 1877
and copy of 1891 census for this family I'd be happy to pass them on.