Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Difficulty in finding Irish Gt Grandparents

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BunnyK

BunnyK Report 15 Apr 2013 17:24

Can anybody give me any advice on tracing William Driscoll and his Wife Mary Ann Hayes. Their son was born in Cork in 1880 but have no true dates of his parents. Their other son was a James married to a Bridget. Daughter was Mary plus one babe who died at a few weeks. Mary came over to Greenwich area with a brother Ben and a sister Ann. I have found a Mary Hayes who married in 1876 possibly to Wm Driscoll. First son was also William born 1880 died 1923. Any help will be appreciated. Bunny K

Gee

Gee Report 15 Apr 2013 18:05

Hi Bunny

Do you have the birth year for William and Mary, also when/where did they marry please?

x

EVEIE

EVEIE Report 15 Apr 2013 18:30

found this

maybe same person in cork bap 1845

http://mediasvc.ancestry.com/image/3993dfc9-2a16-42f0-9150-f590be6cce1e.jpg?Client=Trees&NamespaceID=1093

EVEIE

EVEIE Report 15 Apr 2013 18:32

poss William father a William and mother ellen heath

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 15 Apr 2013 18:46

??????????

Births and Baptisms, 1620-1881"No image available Search collection
About this collection
Name: Catherine Driscoll
Christening Date:
Christening Place:
Birth Date: 23 Jan 1875
Birthplace: Cork, Ireland
Father's Name: William Driscoll
Mother's Name: Mary Anne Driscoll
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C70158-7
System Origin: Ireland-EASy
GS Film number: 255926
Reference ID: v 5 p 13

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 15 Apr 2013 19:21

Hello Bunny - can you tell us if the Driscolls stayed in Ireland after the birth of their children?

BunnyK

BunnyK Report 17 Apr 2013 00:52

Hi there MC nice hearing from you. Ithink all those mentioned came over. Mary Ann Hayes would persuade my Mother to buy her a small jug of porter(?) at a Greenwich pub Off Licence counter.Also there was a family contretemps when one of my
Mother's brothers found that Jim and Bridget had left the room in which their new baby's coffin was and popped off to a pub.My Irish Grandfather was definitely born in the year 1880 and married Susan Anna Warren on the 5th Nov 1899 in Bermondsey or Rotherhithe. Mary Hayes sister was in charge of a factory section when Mother started work about 1918 and was surprised to find her Aunt there! I found aMary Hayes married 1876 to aWilliam Driscoll born 1851 but I have no idea if this is right. You know how I can go adrift don't you. Warmest wishes Bunny K
Bunny K

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 17 Apr 2013 19:51

Hi Bunny - I wouldn't call it going adrift, I'd call it fetching your ancestors to life! (I felt I knew your Martins as though they were my own)

Do you have William jnr marriage certificate to Susan Anna Warren - was wondering what his father's occupation was.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 17 Apr 2013 19:55

According to the 1911, William says he was born Bermondsey?

DRISCOLL, William Head Married M 31 1880 Deal Porter Bermondsey
DRISCOLL, Susan Anna Wife Married13 years F 31 1880 Sack Maker Bermondsey
DRISCOLL, Arthur Alfred Son M 12 1899 School Deptford
DRISCOLL, Catherine Daughter F 10 1901 School Malta
DRISCOLL, William Son M 9 1902 Deptford
DRISCOLL, Susan Anna Daughter F 7 1904 Deptford
DRISCOLL, Charles Paul Son M 4 1907 Deptford
DRISCOLL, Dororthy Rose Daughter F 1 1910 Deptford

RG number: RG14 Piece: 2638
Reference: RG14PN2638 RG78PN89 RD28 SD2 ED15 SN185
Registration District: Greenwich
Sub District: Deptford East
Enumeration District: 15
Parish: St Nicholas Deptford

Address: 92 D the Stowage Deptford County: London

Only those 6 children born.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 17 Apr 2013 20:29

I think this may be the baptism of their son William:

London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906

Name: Williams Driscoll
Record Type: Baptism
Baptism Date: 20 May 1903 - born 1 May 1903
Father's Name: William Driscoll - labourer
Mother's Name: Susan Driscoll
Parish or Poor Law Union: Deptford St Nicholas
Borough: Greenwich
Register Type: Parish Registers

They lived 8 The Stowage - same place as 1911
.................................................................................................................

and daughter Susan Anna:

London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906
Name: Susan Hannah Driscoll
Record Type: Baptism
Baptism Date: 30 Jul 1905 - born 13 Jul 1905
Father's Name: William Driscoll - labourer
Mother's Name: Susan Hannah Driscoll
Parish or Poor Law Union: Deptford Christ Church
Borough: Lewisham
Register Type: Parish Registers

Address: 42 Giffin Street

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 17 Apr 2013 20:41

I was trying to find the family in 1901 to see what it gave as William's birthplace but had no joy. The 1911 says daughter Catherine born Malta.

These service records have this chap in Malta 04 Jan 1900 to 09 Jun 1901

British Army Service Records 1760-1915

First name(s): William
Last name: DRISCOLL
Calculated year of birth: 1878
Parish of birth: Bermondsey <<<<<<<
Town of birth: London
County of birth: Surrey
Age at attestation: 18 years
Attestation date: 21 December 1896
Attestation corps: 3RD BATTALION ROYAL WEST KENT REGIMENT
Attestation soldier number: 1035
Discharge rank:
Discharge corps: Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment) - 50th & 97th Foot
Discharge soldier number:

The National Archives reference: WO96 / 876 / 362

There are no family details given. When he attested he was a lighterman and lived 16 Hales Street, Deptford.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 17 Apr 2013 20:53

Bunny, I found a possible census for William with parents, but they weren't born Ireland.

Rather than me go off on a wild goose chase, can you give any more background?

Do you know when/where James was born and when he married Bridget?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 17 Apr 2013 21:00

Found the (mistranscribed) marriage record for William and Susan Anna:

London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921

Name: Saran Anna Warren of 10 Salisbury Street
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1879
Spouse Name: William Driscoll - carman of 15 Farncombe?? Street
Spouse Age: 20
Record Type: Marriage
Event Date: 5 Nov 1899
Parish: Bermondsey St James
Borough: Southwark
Father Name: Charles James Warren - gardener
Spouse Father Name: William Driscoll - labourer
Register Type: Parish Register

Neither married before.

Witnesses: William Spain and Amy Frostick

BunnyK

BunnyK Report 19 Apr 2013 22:09

Hi! You came good as ever. Many thanks. Here goes...no birth year for Wm or Mary Hayes. I found a few dates but no proof.As wm Junior was born in1879, marrying Susan Ann Warren on 5th Nov 1899 I have been working on 1860 ish. The two sons were their only issue as far as I ever heard. They definitely married in Ireland, probably in Cork long before Partition of course so were counted as British Nationals.I believe when many Irish left the country by boat they went into different s Ports where Registration Offices were set up. Info about their employment age, could they speak and/or write English,Birhplace etc. Different questions in different places. Seemed to be a large depot in Bridgend. In Mile End. Pancras , Bermondsey etc.on documents you'll have seen - e.g. Sean Reilly born Bantry British National .Registration Bermondsey and Bermondsey then became their Birthplace for simplicity I imagine. I think they stayed in Ireland until the boys were in their teens. I was delighted with your info about Wm jnr's Army service. "Kit" was indeed born in Malta.Susan was very secretive about her life, possibly because Arthur Alfred "Alfie" was born just about out of wedlock and Baptised in another Church. Secret Squirrel stuff!! I have the same info stating Saran instead of Susan. A deliberate mistake I feel to cover tracks. Will continue this separately. Bunny

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 19 Apr 2013 22:26

Hi Bunny, the Saran thing is just a mistranscription - the name is Susan on the original document.

What are your thoughts on the records showing William's birthplace as being Bermondsey and not Cork as you believed?

I still have your email address so will send you the service records over the weekend.

BunnyK

BunnyK Report 19 Apr 2013 22:39

Me again.Susan's father Charles James Warren was a Gardener her Mother Elizabeth Louise Evans a Laundress.Wm Snr always wore a Mariner's type cap and was possibly a Stevedore Dock Worker.
Harking back to the Martin side of the family. I have found my Gt Gt Grandparents.Also have photos of The White Lion in Covent Garden, corner of Floral street. Built I think c 1886. This, if you recall is where my Grandfather's first wife Mary Ann Edith Horn (also Miss Rose Newport) went to live and many years later marry her lover George Simmonds the Victualler and their son, John Sidney (?)Also more children were born to Wm and Susan. Amelia in 1907. Ann Nora 1914 (killed by a bomb hitting the Coffee Shop she was in 1943. Her spouse was a P O W in a Stalag at the time. Margaret 1918 and last, Winifred 1920 died 1959. Whew... Talk about bombarding you with none relevant stuff.regards Bunny

BunnyK

BunnyK Report 19 Apr 2013 22:39

Me again.Susan's father Charles James Warren was a Gardener her Mother Elizabeth Louise Evans a Laundress.Wm Snr always wore a Mariner's type cap and was possibly a Stevedore Dock Worker.
Harking back to the Martin side of the family. I have found my Gt Gt Grandparents.Also have photos of The White Lion in Covent Garden, corner of Floral street. Built I think c 1886. This, if you recall is where my Grandfather's first wife Mary Ann Edith Horn (also Miss Rose Newport) went to live and many years later marry her lover George Simmonds the Victualler and their son, John Sidney (?)Also more children were born to Wm and Susan. Amelia in 1907. Ann Nora 1914 (killed by a bomb hitting the Coffee Shop she was in 1943. Her spouse was a P O W in a Stalag at the time. Margaret 1918 and last, Winifred 1920 died 1959. Whew... Talk about bombarding you with none relevant stuff.regards Bunny

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 20 Apr 2013 08:31

Bunny, your mention of William & Susan having a daughter in 1907 is a surprise - she's not listed on the 1911 census and they had stated that just the 6 children named were the only ones born.

Might it be this 1912 birth?

England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index, 1837-1915

Name: Amelia C Driscoll
Mother's Maiden Name: Warren
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1912
Registration district: Greenwich
Inferred County: London
Volume: 1d
Page: 1923

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 20 Apr 2013 08:37

This must be the death of Ann Nora (from CWGC http://www.cwgc.org/ )

COLBOURNE, ANN NORA

Date of Death: 07/11/1943
Regiment/Service: Civilian War Dead

Reporting Authority: WANDSWORTH, METROPOLITAN BOROUGH

Additional Information:
of 53 Durham Hill, Downham, Kent. Daughter of Susan Wootton, of the same address; wife of Bert Colbourne. Died at Cinderella Dance Club, Putney High Street.
.......................................................................................................................

Her marriage:

England & Wales, Marriage Index, 1916-2005
Name: Ann N Driscoll
Spouse: Herbert A Colbourne
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1939
Registration district: Lewisham
Inferred County: London
Volume Number: 1d
Page Number: 3452
.......................................................................................................................

Her husband's internment:

Prisoners of War 1939-1945 - British Army held in German territories

First Name(s):H. A.
Last Name: Colbourne
Camp No.: 20B
PoW No.: 8567
Soldier No.: 6734729
Record Office:Infantry Record Office, The Public Hall, Lune Street, Preston, Lancashire
Camp Type: STALAG
Camp Location: Marienburg
Regiment: The Northamptonshire Regiment

© Naval and Military Press Ltd

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 20 Apr 2013 08:52

I see from Nora Ann's death that her mother was Susan Wootton, she must have remarried after William's death:

England & Wales, Marriage Index, 1916-2005
Name: Susan A Driscoll
Spouse: William Wootton
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1923
Registration district: Greenwich
Inferred County: Kent
Volume Number: 1d
Page Number: 1738