Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Francis Edward (Elwood) Mitchell 1807 - 1888

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 15 May 2013 12:35

I honestly think this is an impossibility as after 10 years of searching I can not get beyond my great great grandfather.

Francis Edward Elwood was baptised 25/12/1807 in St Marys Parish Church, Horsham Sussex. Parents Matthew and Jane Elwood. I have the church records. There is no other mention or trace of Matthew and Jane. I have nothing more on Francis Edward until 1827 when he is known as Francis Edward Mitchell.

Ann Mitchell Jupp was baptised on 19/08/1827 at St Marys Horsham. Ann's mother is Mary Margaret Jupp. I believe that Ann is the daughter of Francis and Mary although she was base born before their marriage.

On 25/12/1/31 Francis (who calls himself Edward more than Francis, and was always known as Ted) marries Mary Jupp, Anns mother, at Old Church St Pancas calling himself Edward Mitchell. Mary had been working in London (from newspaper cuttings re gt gt grand dad and his work as a black smith from Horsham local papers.

Francis died 26/10/1888 (I have his death certificate and the informant was his grand daughter Margaret Walder (daughter of Ann Mitchell Jupp) and probate names him as Francis Edward Ellwood (with 2 L's) Mitchell, confirming that he is the right person. Probate was granted to two of his sons, one was my great grandfather James.

Now.... I have everything coming forward. This is my direct paternal line as I was born a MItchell but guess I should have been an Elwood!

I have tried any scenario I can think of, Matthew dying and Jane marrying a Mitchell, both dying can't find any records etc The only very vague clue that I found was on the IGI there is a Mathew Ellwood Baptised at Bull Lane Independent, Stepney London on 30/03/1780 parents FrancEs and Sarah. FrancIs and Sarah also had a daughter baptised at the same church called Abigal (actual spelling) on 04/08/1778. Can't find anything more on these people either. Just possibly this Matthew was my Francis's father and he was named after his grand father.

There is a Katherine Elwood in Sussex married to someone high up in the military but I cannot find any connection there either.

Children of Francis Edward and Mary Margaret all had the name Mitchell except Ann Mitchell Jupp 1827 and were - Jane 1833 - 1888 and possible after his mother, Catherine 1836 - 1868, Mary1838 - 1862 and James my great grand dad 1850 - 1939. No middle names given on baptisms or on census's. On Ann MItchell Jupps marriage cerificate it has Francis as her father, profession black smith and both of these have a line crossed through them.

For reference The family lived in Faygate Nr Horsham and in Roughey (Roffey) nr Horsham

I have all I need on the MItchells unless connected way back to the Elwood and Francis Edward in particular.

If you are up for this impossible challenge I thank you in advance as it has been driving me crazy for years.

Wendy x

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 15 May 2013 12:43

just for reference

Name: Francis Edward Elwood
Christening Date: 09 Oct 1807
Christening Place: HORSHAM,SUSSEX,ENGLAND
Father's Name: Matthew Elwood
Mother's Name: Jane
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C07064-1
System Origin: England-ODM
GS Film number: 0416743, 0416749, 0918272-274, 416755

Dea

Dea Report 15 May 2013 12:45

Hi Wendy - Can you just check through the info you have given above please - I cannot seem to make sense of some of it ?? (Perhaps it's me ;-) :-D :-D )

I seem to have got lost here:

"The first child, which I believe is Francis's, is base born in 1827, and baptised Ann Mitchell Jupp on 19/08/1807 at St Marys Horsham. Ann's mother is Mary Margaret Jupp."

Francis was base born, had a 'sex change' and was baptised 20 years before he/she was born ??

Thanks,

Dea x :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 15 May 2013 12:48

London Family History Centre > Film Catalogue > England ...
Horsham, Sussex, England - Church records: Title: Parish registers of Horsham, 1540-1903: Authors: Church of England. Parish Church of Horsham (Sussex)
www.londonfhc.org/?...p=England,England,Sussex,Horsham&f=1 - Cached

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 15 May 2013 12:50

I believe that Ann MItchell Jupp born 1827 (sorry I'll correct the OP) was the daughter of Francis although she was born before his marriage to Mary Magaret Jupp

Its hard enough to sort out without me giving duff info :-D

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 15 May 2013 12:59

Thank you Ann I have the parish records on disk.. I don't know why but West Sussex seems to be very difficult to research while there is a load of stuff on East Sussex.

Dea sorry I've corrected the date in OP now. x

Dea

Dea Report 15 May 2013 13:04

Thanks Wendy - the correction is not showing but at least I know what you meant now :-D

I will see if I can find anything............

Dea Xxx

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 15 May 2013 13:17

London Archive Searches
Please note: this service applies only to parish registers held at West Sussex Record Office in ... High Hurst Wood, Hoathly (East and West), Hollington, Hooe, Horsham ...
www.london-archive-searches.com/?21407.html?*session*id... - Cached

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 15 May 2013 13:19

Horsham Parish Register £ 15.00
+ P&P
Sussex, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials 1541-1901, Banns 1754-95, 1812-23. Indexed Transcription. Includes 14 photographs. Vol.48. .pdf reader required. Published by Parish Register Transcription Society.
Supplied by: Sussex Family History Group
Format: CD-ROM
Ref: SSX-SXW48
GENfair - Sussex Family History Group - Parish Records ...
Sussex, Baptisms 1560 - 1901, Banns 1823 - 1900 ... Published by Parish Register Transcription Society. ... Horsham Parish Register
www.genfair.co.uk/product_?list.php?sid=123&page=7 - Cached

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 15 May 2013 13:31

I have the Horsham Parish Register but I think it would be a good idea to buy the one for all of Sussex Vol 48

In fact I will have a go at ordering it now, thanks Ann :-)

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 15 May 2013 14:23

AnnCardiff, sorry to be a pain but did you see a CD for ALL of West Sussex. I think you have buy them parish by parish. I have the Horsham SSX-SXW48

Wendy

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 16 May 2013 11:25

A tree on Ancestry says that Francis Edward was the son of James Mitchell (1782-) and Lucy Lindfield (1787-)

Edit: Caution! Same tree says that Francis Edward & Mary Margaret had a son James Born 1851 and died 1841 but lived 1861 in Horsham, Sussex.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 16 May 2013 12:50

Hi Margee and thank you.

I have had contact before with the person who has this tree, it is definitely wrong. They have nothing to back up their theory and there are other discrepancies as well. I am 99.9% sure that my Francis Edward Ellwood Mitchell was born an Elwood and brought up as a Mitchell. I would be quite happy if I could just find out which Mitchell's were responsible for his upbringing and could follow that line although it wouldn't be a blood line. Finding Matthew and Jane Elwood would be wonderful but, I think, not very likely.

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 16 May 2013 16:59

A hopeful nudge to keep great great grand dad on page one for a bit :-D

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 17 May 2013 20:50

A last attempt

Grahamwfc

Grahamwfc Report 24 Jul 2013 21:25

Trying to pay back some of your help although almost certainly you have seen this

http://www.hoadly.co.uk/hoadly2/fam1327.html

Graham x :-)

Grahamwfc

Grahamwfc Report 24 Jul 2013 22:05

http://www.tqsi.info/genealogy/getperson.php?personID=I3022&tree=stedman_uk

Edward F Mitchell, aged 74 on 1881 census occupation Cowman wife Mary aged 75 born Slaugham Sussex.

Nothing new, but maybe a contact point

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 25 Jul 2013 16:30

Thanks Graham for posting the links. I have seen them before and posted on one of them

It is Matthew and Jane Elwood, my would be great great great grand parents, that are driving me loopy. They aren't just elusive they seem to have vanished of off the face of the earth.

Wendy

Grahamwfc

Grahamwfc Report 25 Jul 2013 20:44

Could they have arrived from America and why James Mitchell went there to settle?

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 25 Jul 2013 21:33

James Mitchell 1850-1939 was my great grandfather he didn't go to America but three of his children did. Francis Edwin/Edward, Mary Ann Ellen, and Bessie. Another daughter, Annie, went to Australia. I am in contact with relatives from both of these countries.

I've searched passenger lists etc for Matthew and Jane Elwood with no joy so far.