Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cecil German

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 19 Jul 2013 19:19

Hi All (again)

I tried to restart my search on a relation who (as far as I know) went to South Africa (I don't know where or when) and my message to the South African Archives was not sent because 'delivery to this address is restricted'. Any ideas as to why? And where do I go from here? :-(

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 19 Jul 2013 19:31

Hello Christine - do you already have a thread about Cecil?

EDIT: Found one
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/trying_to_find/german/thread/1221620

Always better to add updates/requests for further assistance on the existing thread so people have all of the info.

Christine

Christine Report 19 Jul 2013 19:32

Oh hi again Marie Celeste

Yes but it was a long time ago so I thought I was meant to start again.

Christine

Christine Report 19 Jul 2013 19:34

Oh sorry I don't think I'll ever get the hang of this!!

Rambling

Rambling Report 19 Jul 2013 19:35

I imagine the messages are restricted because of staffing?

"Visiting an archives repository may not always be convenient for you. It is possible, however, for you to contact a repository by means of written and telephonic enquiries, by fax or e-mail. See the contact information for further information.

General enquiries can usually be answered immediately. In the case of specific enquiries, the researcher is usually requested to call back later for the information or is referred to private researchers. Most repositories have only one telephone line to the Reading Rooms. Telephonic enquiries therefore have to be brief to accommodate as many researchers as necessary.

Written enquiries are handled as quickly as possible. However, because of staff shortages in most repositories, archival research cannot be done on behalf of researchers. If your enquiry requires extensive research, you may be advised to visit a repository yourself, or to engage a private researcher. Reading Room officials will provide you with contact details of private researchers. They will also assist you with tracing possible sources for your research undertaking.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 19 Jul 2013 19:35

No Christine, it doesn't matter how long ago - just use the "My Threads" link on the left to get back to it.

Anyhow, I've nudged that old thread back up as it has his full name and place of birth, which is useful.

Christine

Christine Report 19 Jul 2013 19:37

Thank you so much. I thought it was because of a political reason maybe but I though we were all ok now.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 19 Jul 2013 19:39

Christine - I've found a passenger list which I'll add to the original thread.