Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death of Cecil German

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 15 May 2010 16:25

Hi
Could someone please point me in the right direction to find the death of a relation in South Africa.

His name is Cecil Harold M German born 1902 in Droxford, Hampshire. I don't know when he went abroad or where abouts in South Africa.

Is there a free web site that could give me this information?

Thanks in advance.

Flick

Flick Report 15 May 2010 16:40

You could try googling

Christine

Christine Report 15 May 2010 16:43

Yes but thought someone might know of one - quicker. Thanks.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 19 Jul 2013 19:33

New thread:
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1328275

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 19 Jul 2013 19:38

Looks like he went to Canada, this chap was from Droxford:

Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935
Name: Cecil German
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1901
Birth Country: England
Date of Arrival: 4 Jun 1927
Vessel: Empress of France
Port of Arrival: Quebec
Port of Departure: Southampton, England
Roll: T-14733

His passage was paid by the Government and he was headed to Canadian Pacific Colonization Dept, Winnipeg. He was going to work in agriculture.

His contact in England as his stepmother, Mrs Varndell, Solverton, Bishop's Waltham, Hants.

Christine

Christine Report 19 Jul 2013 19:43

Thanks Marie Celeste

This could be him. I did look on GR for immigration but he didn't come up and he has such a specific name - Cecil Harold M German. Thanks again . this has given me something to go on, :-)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 19 Jul 2013 19:46

The 1911 shows his full middle names and confirms the Bishop's Waltham connection:

GERMAN, Harry Head Married M 35 1876 Carpenter Estate Corhampton Hants
GERMAN, Etlie Ruth Wife Married 6 years F 32 1879 Swanmore Hants
GERMAN, Cecil Harold Menitt Son M 9 1902 Droxford Hants
GERMAN, Charles James Son M 2 1909 Corhampton Hants
GERMAN, Walter Henry Son M 1 1910 Corhampton Hants
GERMAN, Albert Victor Brother Single M 30 1881 Groom Domestic Meonstoke Hants

RG number: RG14 Piece: 6151
Reference: RG14PN6151 RG78PN287 RD104 SD2 ED1 SN16
Registration District: Droxford
Sub District: West Meon
Enumeration District: 1
Parish: Corhampton Exton

Address: Corhampton Woods Bishops Waltham Hampshire County: Hampshire
....................................................................................................................

His stepmother had remarried, hence the different name on the passenger list:

England & Wales, Marriage Index, 1916-2005

Name: Ettie R German
Spouse Surname: Varndell
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1927
Inferred County: Hampshire
Volume Number: 2c
Page Number: 351

Christine

Christine Report 19 Jul 2013 19:51

Yes this is definitely him. What does it mean (if you know) by his passage being paid by the government.

Christine

Christine Report 19 Jul 2013 19:56

Thanks for the information on the family. Cecil's mother was Annie Merrit who died either at the time or shortly after Cecil was born. Her husband Harry then married Ettie Long and they had 2 children. Walter German (known as Tony!) I know about but there was another son who drowned whilst young . this must be Charles. Thank you so much because I didn't know his name,

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 19 Jul 2013 19:56

Don't really know Christine. I'd guess it's a government scheme to attract immigrants?

Christine

Christine Report 19 Jul 2013 20:02

Yes probably. My dad, who was adopted, had the chance to go to Canada when he was in a home in the 1940s (he never went). Also at that time, 1927, Cecil's stepmother's brother had in-laws that had emigrated to Canada in 1909. Fascinating. Thanks so much. :-) :-)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 19 Jul 2013 20:21

It's interesting that he left for Canada around the time his stepmum remarried ....

Unfortunately, Canada has much stricter privacy rules than we do so it's difficult to locate marriages and deaths. I have had a look on the voter lists but not seeing anything obvious. Also, there was a Cecil German born in Ontario in 1903 so couldn't tell who is who.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 19 Jul 2013 20:26

While poking about I found this link:
http://www.knightroots.co.uk/transcriptions/Parishes_C/Corhampton/Marriages/marriages.htm

Right down the page it looks like he was a witness at someone's marriage:

"Oct 22 1924 George LOCKE 22 bachelor Master machinist Bishops Waltham & Janet Telfer McWHIRTER 23 spinster Corhampton after banns both signed fathers Frederick George LOCKE Fishmonger & James McWHIRTER Dairyman in the presence of Ellen McWHIRTER & Cecil Harold GERMAN"

Christine

Christine Report 19 Jul 2013 20:28

Yes that is interesting, I agree. His half brother, Walter Henry, was a lovely man whom I remember from early years. Why do we not think to ask our questions when younger? Rhetorical question because I know we were just too busy growing up.

I have just been looking on Family Search but nothing coming up yet. Thank you once again for all your help.

I'll have to dig up another relation tomorrow seeing as you're so good at this - only joking!! Thanks again. :-)

Christine

Christine Report 19 Jul 2013 20:35

Oh wow my night just keeps getting better.

The names do not ring a bell within my family tree but definitely something else to look into. Bishops Waltham and surrounding areas were where most of the family stayed. Funny isn't it when you have all the names but still know nothing about their lives.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 19 Jul 2013 20:44

It's quite possible that he was a witness at the marriage of a good friend so there may not be a family connection. Or perhaps a cousin?

I think this is the 1911 for the chap who married in 1924 if you want to try to make a connection:

LOCKE, Frederick G B Head Married M 36 1875 Shopkeeper Fishmonger Hants Bishops Waltham
LOCKE, Edith J Wife Married 14 years F 39 1872 Assisting In Business Hants Bishops Waltham
LOCKE, Frederick Son M 12 1899 Schoolboy Hants Bishops Waltham
LOCKE, George Son M 8 1903 Hants Bishops Waltham
LOCKE, William Son M 7 1904 Hants Bishops Waltham
LOCKE, Harry Son M 6 1905 Hants Bishops Waltham

RG number: RG14 Piece: 6147
Reference: RG14PN6147 RG78PN286 RD104 SD1 ED3 SN194
Sub District: Bishops Waltham
Enumeration District: 3
Parish: Bishops Waltham

Address: Bank Street Bishops Waltham County: Hampshire

Christine

Christine Report 19 Jul 2013 20:53

Yes thought that could be probable (quite coincidentally I have a Lock in my family tree from Dorset which borders on Hampshire). Thanks.

Christine

Christine Report 19 Jul 2013 21:07

Have to go now but thank you so much for everything. :-)