Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Births Deaths & Marriages - Birmingham from 1920

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Beryl

Beryl Report 25 Jul 2013 11:24

Hi, I was wondering if anyone out there has access to death records for the Birmingham (Aston) area in or around 1920. My reason for asking is that My grandfather and his brother were both soldiers in the 1914/18 war. After leaving the services my great uncle who was a gunner, with the royal artillary, suffered we are told from a personality change, as did many I suspect, and this caused the breakdown of his marriage, causing his wife and young son, of under 1 year, to take flight and go to relatives of hers in Canada, in 1920. We have heard lots of stories about what happened to him after that, i.e. he committed suicide, he was admitted to a mental asylum, he said he would go and try and find them, but so far, I have been unable to trace any record of his death, and this is why I wondered if any kind soul out there could help. My great uncle's name was Arthur (but was actually christened Wilfred Arthur) Hevingham, born 9th November 1892 in Darlaston, Staffordshire. He married Dorothy Gauntlett in July 1918 in Aston Manor, Birmingham, Warwickshire and their child also called Arthur was born in Aston, in October l9l9. I have traced my great uncle on a 1922 electoral register, as living at 74 Barton Street, Aston, with his parents, but have no record of him on anything after that. I can not seem to find him on any passenger list, as I wondered if he might have tried to follow his wife and son to Canada, but so far still nothing. Please, if anyone could help, I would be very grateful - thank you.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Jul 2013 11:34

For those years FreeBMD is your best bet

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Jul 2013 11:39

who were his parents/ have you located their deaths ? could he have been the informant on any of the certs

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Jul 2013 11:45

is this him with an Annie Florence Hevingham

Name: William Hevingham
Year: 1930
Ward or Division/Constituency: Duddeston
Street Address: 3 court 9 Stanley Street
Residence Place: Birmingham

Beryl

Beryl Report 25 Jul 2013 11:46

Hi, Arthur's parents were Thomas Hevingham, and Frances Mary formerly Bate, his father is on his marriage certificate and the birth certificate, as is his mother, and his son, Arthur was born at his wife's mothers home in Darlaston. I have seached all types of death records, but can find nothing. His father Thomas died in June 1929 and his mother in March 1946. I seem to be very stuck at the moment

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Jul 2013 11:47

name: William Hevingham
Year: 1927
Ward or Division/Constituency: Aston
Street Address: 2a BARTON STREET

with a Frederick Styles and Edith Kate Styles

EDIT getting the names mixed this is William so who is he ??

Potty

Potty Report 25 Jul 2013 11:49

Beryl, do you have his parents' death certs? If so, who are the informants?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Jul 2013 11:49

this looks like the Annie Florence he was with in 1930
Name: Annie Florence Hevingham
Birth Date: 11 May 1898
Date of Registration: Jun 1970
Age at Death: 72
Registration District: Birmingham
Inferred County: Warwickshire
Volume: 9c
Page: 891

Beryl

Beryl Report 25 Jul 2013 11:49

William is my grandfather and his wife was Annie Florence formerly styles
the Arthur (or Wilfred Arthur) was his brother

Beryl

Beryl Report 25 Jul 2013 11:51

I really appreciate all your help, but this information I already have, it is just that I need to try and find out what happened to Arthur, after 1920, he seems to have just vanished off the face of the earth, and this can not happen

Beryl

Beryl Report 25 Jul 2013 11:55

Hi Potty, no I dont have those certificates, do you think they would help

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Jul 2013 11:55

could he have been the informant?
Name: Frances M Hevingham
Birth Date: abt 1865
Date of Registration: Mar 1946
Age at Death: 81
Registration District: Birmingham
Volume: 6d
Page: 135

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Jul 2013 12:00

Name: Edith K Styles
Birth Date: abt 1887
Date of Registration: Dec 1928
Age at Death: 41
Registration District: Birmingham North
Volume: 6d
Page: 383

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Jul 2013 12:03

Name: Frederick Styles
Spouse Surname: Sutton
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1914
Registration District: Aston
Volume Number: 6d
Page Number: 844
Records on Page:
Name

Frederick Styles
Edith K Sutton

so was Fred a brother of his wife?

Potty

Potty Report 25 Jul 2013 12:07

If he was the informant on either, it would give you a time frame for searching and possible an address. The earlier one would probably be the best to go for as it closer in time to the last time you have found him.

There is this death (seeing as he married as Arthur, he would seem to have dropped the Wilfred). The age is out by a year or two, but that isn't unusual and I cannot see another Arthur born about the same time:

Name: Arthur Hevingham
Birth: 9 Nov 1895
Death: Jun 1983 - Bullingdon, Oxfordshire, England

Potty

Potty Report 25 Jul 2013 12:14

There is tree with his photo on Ancestry, but it has no more info than you have. You can view on the Mundia site if you do not have access to Ancestry.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Jul 2013 12:16

1930 he was with mum Frances Mary
Name: Arthur Hevingham
Year: 1930
Ward or Division/Constituency: Duddeston
Street Address: 195 New Town Row

he could well have lived with till she died I would get her death cert to see if he was the informant

Beryl

Beryl Report 25 Jul 2013 12:17

Thank you for that Potty, I will see what I can find out about the Oxford one, and send off for the 2 death certificates - thanks for your advice

Beryl

Beryl Report 25 Jul 2013 12:19

Shirley, I am not too sure about my grandmothers family, as so far I am only researching my paternal line - I may get to the female side eventually

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Jul 2013 12:19

so you know he was still with his mum in 1930 as per the electoral roll I posted