Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Prior Richard MOONE - last Prior of Bolton Abbey

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

merrygoon

merrygoon Report 25 Aug 2013 18:12

My father - Charles Maurice MOON (born 1915 in Ilkley) - claimed that we were descended from the family of Prior Moone. Many of my ancestors are indeed buried in Bolton Abbey graveyard so it seems likely to be true. Unfortunately I have been unable to trace my MOON ancestors back further than James MOON (born c1690 probably in Hampsthwaite, North Riding of Yorkshire)

Does anyone have an accurate list of descendants of Richard MOONE that they are prepared to share. This would be greatly appreciated.

Gerald MOON

patchem

patchem Report 25 Aug 2013 18:16

Have you looked to see if anyone on genes has him in their tree? (Search/Search All Member Trees Top right)
If so, you can then make contact with them to share information.
It is unlikely that anyone reading these boards will have that information to hand, it is up to you to go and hunt it out.

Added:
Have you put James Moon, 1690, in your tree on here so others can contact you?

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 25 Aug 2013 18:21

So we are talking 1520's

http://www.bgwaters.co.uk/petyt5.htm#moone

Dea

Dea Report 25 Aug 2013 20:59

Nice one Glitters !! ;-)

Dea Xxx

EVEIE

EVEIE Report 25 Aug 2013 21:42

loads trees on ancestry there james moone married to a mary pearson

EVEIE

EVEIE Report 25 Aug 2013 21:53

GUIDED TOUR OF THE CHURCH
1 WEST TOWER begun in 1520 under Prior Richard Moone, but left unfinished in 1539. Modern roof of 1983. Beautifully sculpted 13th century facade partly obscured by the tower.
2 NAVE retains glorious roof, probably early Tudor but much restored with carved angels and bosses. Far wall separating Church from ruined choir is a Victorian replacement of Prior Moone’s wall set up to rescue the Nave in 1539.
3 NORTH AISLE WINDOWS Lost most of the 14th century glass in the Reformation, but some remains in the upper tracery of each window.
4 THE MODEL and aerial photograph give an excellent idea of the extent and beauty of the Priory before 1539 and help you to understand the picturesque ruins which are well worth visiting.
5 THE STONE ALTAR A rare survival of a pre-Reformation altar, possibly used by the Canons. The central, rough recess may have contained a sacred relic; the larger square recess later housed the brass plate now mounted on the adjacent wall.
6 THE ORGAN is a fine Victorian pipe-organ, recently rebuilt with modern detached console.
7 THE WALL PAINTING was executed in 1880 by Thomas Bottomley and his assistant R H Greenwood. The five Madonna lilies represent the Virgin Mary; the other plants symbolise various events and sayings in the life of Our Lord, shortly before his death on the Cross. For the full interpretation please see the special leaflet.
8 THE SIX SOUTH WINDOWS are magnificent 19th century glass by Pugin, the foremost stained glass artist of the period. Each contains six medallions, representing scenes from the life of Christ, from the Annunciations to Pentecost.
9 THE ‘WATCH’ PLACE A curious high alcove reached by a stair in the thickness of the wall. Here, it is thought a Canon may have kept vigil while the others slept

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 27 Aug 2013 12:50

Hello Gerald and welcome to the Community Boards. :-)

As Gerald is a new poster, I'll send a friendly message on how to return to his thread. :-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Feb 2014 16:46

He took no notice, Cynthia...............

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/tips_board/thread/1337117

merrygoon

merrygoon Report 12 Nov 2014 16:56

Hi all
Many thanks for your patience
As may be obvious, I am not very familiar with this aspect of the website
Furthermore, I do not visit the site very often and so miss many comments and forget the procedures from one visit to the next
I will endeavour to follow your advice
Gerry