Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Prior Richard MOONE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

merrygoon

merrygoon Report 7 Feb 2014 14:36

My father was convinced that we were related to Prior Richard MOONE but I have been unable to find any evidence of this fact - no matter how obvious it may appear - after neary 3 decades of research into my family history.
YES, I really do understand that the obvious is so often misleading.

My Father and ancestors going back for centuries were born near Ilkley and Bolton Abbey - Many of them are buried at the Abbey. My ancestors are:
James MOON (bn c1691, Hampsthwaite)
James MOON (1718, Embsay - 1794, Embsay)
Joseph MOON (1763, Hazlewood - 1832, Beamsley)
Charles MOON (1809, Beamsley - 1881, Beamsley)
Joseph MOON (1835, Beamsley - 1908, lkley)
Charles MOON (1869, Addingham - 1924, Ilkley)
Charles Maurice MOON (1915, Ilkley - 1980, Norfolk)
Myself, Gerald Michael "Gerry" MOON (1944, Norfolk)

"Is there anybody out there" (to quote Pink Floyd) who could offer guidance as to how I can either confirm such a relationship or completely disregard it. Hopefully a mutual relative.

Gerry MOON

Janet

Janet Report 7 Feb 2014 14:50

Who is Prior Richard Moone?

I have a Mary Moon born c. 1710 and married at Long Preston in 1731 . (No help to you but someone might help me)

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 7 Feb 2014 15:09

From a google search

Previous thread, which the poster never acknowledged. Info about who was Richard Moone

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1330487

George

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Feb 2014 16:21

A link from your earlier thread produces

Not all the members of Prior Moone’s family are mentioned by name in his will. He names three brothers, Henry, William and Edmund, and bequeathed money to three named nephews, John son of Henry, Richard son of William, and Richard son of Edmund. However four other nephews, sons of Edmund, to whom he bequeathed three pounds six shillings and three pence, are not named. The sum Richard Moone bequeathed to each of the three named nephews, six pounds, thirteen shillings and four pence, is similar in value to a yearly rent for a farm such as the Stedehouse. It would certainly appear that the fortunes of the Moone family were enhanced in Bolton Abbey by their close relationship to the Prior .

Try looking for descendants of those named to see if they are linked in to your family.
To enhance the chances of finding the 'three named nephews' then purchasing a copy of his Will might help.

As much as we'd like to find records linking us to a historical figure, sometimes the PR we tend to rely on have been lost, damaged or destroyed.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 7 Feb 2014 16:40

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/advanced-search.aspx?tab=1

(always worth a look round on above)

Chris :)

patchem

patchem Report 7 Feb 2014 20:08

There are 20 or so people on here with James Moon, born around 1718 in their trees, but not you.
If you put your family into a tree then others can contact you, and they may have relevant information.

Janet

Janet Report 8 Feb 2014 11:24

Just a thank you from me for igniting my interest in the Moon family. As in my posting of 1410 feb 7th - I have a Mary Moon - Jackman who I now believe will be connected to William, the name of her second son. - Janet

Potty

Potty Report 8 Feb 2014 13:05

Janet, are you wanting help with your Moon family? If so, it might be better to start a thread of your own.

Janet

Janet Report 8 Feb 2014 22:37

Thank you potty , no I don't require help. Just needed some motivation .

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Feb 2014 11:07

What is the ;point of your post, Janet?

If you aren't connected to the people named on here, there doesn't appear to be one

............as you already have a thread on here, better to stick to it..................

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 10 Feb 2014 09:41

Gerry, Have you seen these registers of Hampsthwaite? I couldn't see any Moons on there, but I only skimmed through.

http://www.mocavo.com/The-Registers-of-Hampsthwaite-Co-York-Volume-1/430706/125

merrygoon

merrygoon Report 21 Jul 2014 16:23

Many thanks Christina - when I have time I will make a full search through the document.

merrygoon

merrygoon Report 13 Nov 2014 15:19

Many thanks to Patcham {7 Feb 2014}
James MOON born c 1716 - died 1717 was my Grt x4 Uncle
He was the son of James MOON born c 1695 and of Mary PEARSON
This James MOON born 1718 was my Grt x4 grandfather
I will take your advice and update my tree soon
Gerry