Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CREW LISTS/ROLLS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gena

Gena Report 26 Oct 2013 09:49

I have an ancestor who was described as a "ship's steward" and another as a "stoker". I do not know the names of any vessels although the preferred ports are probably Southampton and London. Probably passenger shipping. Please could anyone suggest where I might look for crew records?

Gee

Gee Report 26 Oct 2013 09:54

Hi

Records are at Ancestry. If you don't have a sub to the site, post the details of these people and we may be able to help you

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Oct 2013 10:06

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/tips_board/thread/1140366

Gena

Gena Report 26 Oct 2013 10:13

Have the main sites and cannot find any appropriate record. I've posted details previously about my brick wall and this was the only new lead.

Researching Thomas FULLER b. poss, 1820 in Kensington Middlesex; no birth found, no marriage found to Mary Ann Knight, and no death found. Only record for Thomas is 1871 census where he is with his younger son who had been born in Southampton. He was previously a domestic butler but had had his leg amputated. Mary Ann's death cert records him as a ship's steward which might explain why I cannot find him anywhere. He was dead before 1876 when older son Walter, married occ. a stoker on marriage cert. Other thought might be that he was attached as a valet to a military family.
I have all other records for his family.