Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Winifred Adelaide Jones

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PierreC

PierreC Report 6 Dec 2013 03:33

Looking for a Winifred Adelaide Curtis nee Jones who returned by ship Winchester Castle to Durban 1947 from Southampton UK. She would know Ronnie...She and Ronnie may have had a child? Ronnie was in the RAF. Any info would be welcome.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Dec 2013 04:30

Ronnie who?

how old was Winifred?

where was she born?

where was she married?

This is a site where members help other members find information, but we need information in order to find more!

Have you tried looking in Search Trees to see if these people are in the trees of any other member(s)?

Go to Search (top right)

Click on it, then click on Search Trees

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 6 Dec 2013 06:45

There's this one coming in

Name: Winifred Curtis
Birth Date: 12 Feb 1920
Port of Departure: Durban, South Africa
Arrival Date: 5 May 1960
Port of Arrival: Southampton, England
Ports of Voyage: Durban
[Port Elizabeth]
[Cape Town]
Ship Name: Pendennis Castle
Search Ship Database: View the 'Pendennis Castle' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping Line: Union-Castle Mail Steamship Company Ltd
Official Number: 7177/01

Not Ron but Roy ....

and this is the same one travelling alone with son Geoffrey

Name: Winifred A Curtis
Birth Date: abt 1914
Port of Departure: Cape Town, South Africa
Arrival Date: 5 Apr 1946
Ports of Voyage: Cape Town
Ship Name: Carnarvon Castle
Search Ship Database: View the 'Carnarvon Castle' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Official Number: 148766

Jude

Astra

Astra Report 6 Dec 2013 07:05

Was she born 1906 and married Roland Curtis in 1928?
Or was she born somewhere other than England?

patchem

patchem Report 6 Dec 2013 07:05

Could you say what your connection is as Winifred may still be alive?

Thank-you

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 6 Dec 2013 09:23

Welcome to the boards Pierre

??

..England & Wales, Marriage Index, 1916-2005
about Winifred A Jones Name: Winifred A Jones
Spouse Name: Roland Curtis
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1928
Registration District: Worcester
Inferred County: Worcestershire
Volume Number: 6c
Page Number: 275

PierreC

PierreC Report 6 Dec 2013 13:46

Ronnie was Ralph Raymond Curtis who was in the RAF at the time. My dad.

Yes, the Winifred Adelaide Curtis nee Jones with a son named Godfrey who arrived in UK 1946 is highly likely the person I was referring to.

As I understand it from a later UK wedding certificate Ronnie and Winifred were divorced.

FYI: Ronnie sadly passed away in 1976.

Highly likely that Winifred has passed away as well.

What you have confirmed is the first name of Winifred's son, Godfrey. Many thanks for that. Unfortunately I do not know if Godfrey kept his fathers surname Curtis or his mothers name Jones. Godfrey, if he is still alive would be about 68 or 69.

I don't know if he returned with Winifred to Durban in 1947 on the Winchester Castle. Is there a way to verify that?

So I'll start looking for Godfrey. :-)

PierreC

PierreC Report 6 Dec 2013 13:52

BTW; I understand that Winifred was South African. That's all I have for now. Would be nice to get more info on Winifred as well of course.

PierreC

PierreC Report 6 Dec 2013 13:56

My Dad's, Ralph Raymond Curtis and my Mums in 1951, Southport. Winifred was named on that certificate as my Dads ex.

PierreC

PierreC Report 6 Dec 2013 14:04

As my Dad was born in Cheshire, UK in October 1917, I think Winifred would have been of a similar age. I saw 1915 and now 1914. I don't know of any wedding certificate for Winfred and my Dad. If there was one it may have been South African. I think my father and Winifred met in South Africa at the end of the war whilst he was on active duty with the RAF. Yes, Godrey possibly maybe my step brother. Wish I knew more, but thats why I'm here.

PierreC

PierreC Report 6 Dec 2013 14:09

Sorry my eyes are not good I just saw I'm looking for Geoffrey Curtis not Godfrey Curtis. Wow, just saw the other family info for 1960 passenger list, this is great. And they all have the Curtis name.

PierreC

PierreC Report 6 Dec 2013 14:13

Yes, that looks like the Wedding Certificate, my mums Grace May, surname was Dickinson, nee Newell. And Ralph Quilliam was a great uncle who was on of the two witness's.

PierreC

PierreC Report 6 Dec 2013 14:22

But the 1946 sailing on Carnarvon Castle Castle from Durban to Southampton said Winifred was travelling alone with Geoffrey in April 1946? So that would mean he was born before the is date?

PierreC

PierreC Report 6 Dec 2013 14:24

I'm forgetting my manners, many thanks to you all for the help you are giving me.

PierreC

PierreC Report 6 Dec 2013 14:28

Yes, I think Geoffrey could be my half Brother. Thanks for correcting me. But with a husband called Percy Curtis it just maybe the wrong Winifred? :-(

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 6 Dec 2013 14:41

I have just checked the image of the 1946 arrival passenger list that Jude posted.

Winifred A Curtis...32 Housewife
Proposed address in the UK....56 Surpentine Road, Wallasey (Possibly Cheshire)

Travelling with her is not Geoffrey........it is..

Gary R Curtis age 3

UK, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
about Gary R Curtis Name: Gary R Curtis
Birth Date: abt 1943
Port of Departure: Cape Town, South Africa
Arrival Date: 5 Apr 1946
Ports of Voyage: Cape Town
Ship Name: Carnarvon Castle
Search Ship Database: View the 'Carnarvon Castle' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Official Number: 148766

PierreC

PierreC Report 6 Dec 2013 14:44

Hi,
Yes, there were indications from other family members that he had married Winifred and had a child with her. The info I heard was sadly that most of Ralph's family rejected Winifred and her son because she was a non white South African. My Mum knew later of Winifred and her son and was very shocked at knowing about the rejection.

PierreC

PierreC Report 6 Dec 2013 14:48

But basically Winifred was never mentioned openly by family members.

My Dad left the RAF soon after this, 1952, I often wonder if this had any influence on his RAF Record? Such were things in those days.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 6 Dec 2013 16:56

Pierre - what made you think that Winifred's surname had been Jones? (Or have you edited your opening post to reflect information found?)

Armed Forces registration event: Marriage

MarriageFinder: Ralph R Curtis married Winifred A Ives
Name: CURTIS, Ralph R
Place: Cape Town
Year: 1942
Page: 757
Spouse's last name: Ives
Record source: GRO Index Army Marriages (1881 to 1955)

Name: IVES, Winifred A
County: South Africa
Year: 1942
Page 757
Spouse's last name Curtis
Record source: GRO Index Army Marriages (1881 to 1955)

EDIT: You can order a copy of this marriage certificate from GRO for £9.25
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 6 Dec 2013 17:00

Hello everybody..I'm back :-)

Sorry work full time and when I finshed (because hubby is off tonight) we have had an hour or teo down the local!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry yes the child when travelling alone was Gary...well it weas early this morning and I was guessing blind without info :-)

So on basis that it is the one with Geoffrey - born 12.2.20 with Geoffrey *.11.54 and two other children Brian and Ellen

Got to dash now to watch the World Cup Draw!

Jude