Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What Happened to Ellen Betts 1922 Ludworth Durham.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 13 Dec 2013 15:03

Can anyone help us please?

We are looking for information on the lady above.

She may have gone under the last name of Horrocks or Gray.

We can find no marraige or death records for her.

This lady is my grandmother, we have never met - my mother was taken into care at birth and she has searched for her for 40 years now.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 13 Dec 2013 15:16

Can I just ask how you know she was born in 1922 in Ludworth and why do you think she may have used the name Horrocks or Gray. Was your mother also born in the Durham area.

Chris

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Dec 2013 15:32

Where have you looked for info?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Dec 2013 15:34

Have you done any research into possible siblings that Ellen may have had?

Found out who registered the deaths of her parents?

Assuming that your statement about her birth is 100% accurate, of course.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Dec 2013 15:36

IF....and only if......you have picked the correct birth for your grandmother.....these were her parents

Marriages Mar 1919 (>99%)
Betts David Gray Durham 10a 682
Gray Edith Betts Durham 10a 682

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Dec 2013 15:37

In which year was your mother born?

And in which County?

jax

jax Report 13 Dec 2013 15:42

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1335058

patchem

patchem Report 13 Dec 2013 20:19

Do you have her exact date of birth?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Dec 2013 22:18

Well, Janet returned to the post on the other board.............perhaps she will eventually return to this one

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Dec 2013 22:20

Info NOT seen on here.....copied from general

I am looking for my grandmother Ellen Betts. Born June 1922. There are no records for her since 1950.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Dec 2013 22:21

From an OLD thread.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_topics/thread/952619

This posting added by Janet's mother

I have an Possible Aunt Edith born Newcastle 1931
her birth is registered as female Betts Mothers Maiden Name GRAY.
David and Edith Betts married Ludworth Co Durham
1919 and had children: David Betts..born 1920 Ellen Betts..born 1922 Richard Betts..born 1924 John Betts..born 1927 .Female Betts who I think was later names Edith born 1931 at Newcastle Hospital mother's maiden name GRAY. I am the Daughter of ELLEN BETTS who I have searched for over 40 years
ELLEN had another child (daughter) born at Winterton House Sedgefield Co Durham...I have searched for her sister (possible) Edith for the same lengh of time......Is it you ?????????

So a lot more is known

Janet.....................

You should research the siblings..................if you haven't already done so

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Dec 2013 10:03

Find out who registered this

Death
Name: BETTS, Richard
Registration district: Durham East
County: Durham
Year of registration: 2001
Month of registration: February
Date of Birth:5 August 1924
District no: 4391
Reg no: DE19C
Ent no: 272
DOR: 201

Janet

Janet Report 14 Dec 2013 12:48

Hi There,

We have some information about her family. Unfortunatley it would seem our side of the family was a dirty secret as they have refused any contact with us. They will not tell us anything about what happened to her and even made up alot of stories. The thing we know for sure as we have found records was that she was locked away for some time for being a Thypoid carrier. See the link here when my mother contacted a local paper, it has lots more information.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/local/all-news/i-have-missed-my-mother-every-day-of-my-life-just-once-i-would-love-to-see-and-speak-to-her-perhaps-have-a-cuddle-1-1065771

My biggest wish is that my Mum be able to visit her grave. The icing on the cake would be if we found a picture. I dare not even hope she is still alive as we now know she has at leasy three children taken off her who have all been searching for her.

She had a very troubled life and she never knew she had 10 grandchildren and seven great grandchildren.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thank you to all so far on taking an interest.

Janet

Janet Report 14 Dec 2013 13:02

Sorry to answer some of the questions.

Ellen ran away and was eventually found in the early 1950's living with a family last name Horrocks. She was taken away again leaving a toddler who we have found and is a brother to my mother (we had a dna test). They were introduced to each other two years ago for the first time (it was wonderful to find family). Part of Ellens family was last name Gray. One of Ellens siblings was abandonded as a child and was taken in by a family last name COILS (whom we found living in Australia thanks to Genes).

My mother was born in Stannington Psychiatric Hospital July 16th 1943. She was orginally registered as "Baby Betts" but has since been altered to Marjorie Ruth Betts. Her sister Rosemary was born in Winterton Psychiatric Hospital in 1946.

I hope that helps a little.

The family all live around the Durham area, going back a couple of generations some came from Scotland.

We the help of genes we have found several cousins, a brother and a couple of aunts. We found one of Ellens sisters but she is not willing to help and made up lots of lies. We don't believe she knows what hapened to her.

We found Richard (whose death has been regsitered). He approached social services in the early 1950's about taking in the "Betts babys" by social services but he had spent some time in prision so they would not allow him guardianship.

My mother and sister remained in the Childrens homes until they reached 12 and were fostered by local families who had branded their mother as a "disease carrier". They never met their mother or their family.

The records at the time show that my mother asked them many times about her mother and social services made an active decision to "keep secret the details of her parentage, mother and sibilings".

Sorry I'm rambling, this story could go on and on. Please feel free to ask questions.

Many thanks
Janet

Janet

Janet Report 14 Dec 2013 13:18

Just thought I would add, we did contacted the BBC regarding the Long Grove Unit but Ellens name was not on the list. They did tell us however that the "inmates" were in the hundreds over the years and they only found a few volumes of information in tact.

See here -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2465208/Typhoid-victims-locked-up-for-life-in-mental-institution.html

Flip

Flip Report 14 Dec 2013 14:11

What a dreadful story, it beggars belief this sort of thing was still happening in the mid 1900s.

I think Patchem asked if you had Ellen's exact dob - that way a search could be done to see if there is a likely death? Just using dob is likely to throw up a lot of results, but there are plenty of people on here likely to want to help eliminate the wrong ones.

jax

jax Report 14 Dec 2013 15:46

According to the newspaper article her birth date was June 3rd

Janet

Janet Report 14 Dec 2013 15:49

Her date of birth was June 6th 1922. Born in Ludworth, Couty Durham.

We have not been able to find any marriage or death records for her. But then we are a bit green to all this and probably havent aquired "thinking outside the box" skills yet.

Any help, any suggestions greatfully recieved.

It would mean so much if we were able to give our mum a little closure. She worries that her mother is still locked away somehere (like Long Grove). Even if we could find a grave for her, my mum could visit her.

Many thanks
Janet

Janet

Janet Report 14 Dec 2013 15:56

sorry I have June 6th here but I may be wrong it may have been June 3rd. Her parents were David and Edith Gray.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Dec 2013 15:58

Buy a copy of her birth cert.......for the facts about the DOB

No point in looking for a death using the wrong date........

Her parents were David BETTS and Edith, nee GRAY