Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

thomas simpson murray

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

thomas

thomas Report 16 Mar 2014 19:32

hi, looking for closure on my grandfather thomas simpson murray,born county antrim 1893 married susan oneill 1914 coatbridge scotland,enlisted irish guards 1914,discharged 1919. last known address 29 millman st londonwci 1931.worked withlondon telephone service as clerk in 1930s. can anyone help . thanks very much ,thomas.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 16 Mar 2014 19:41

Name: MURRAY, Thomas S C
Registration district: Camberwell
County: London
Year of registration: 1942
Quarter of registration: Apr-May-Jun
Age at death: 47
Volume no: 1D
Page no: 607

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Mar 2014 22:05

If he died in London............

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

alviegal

alviegal Report 21 Mar 2014 21:29

No help with a date but are you aware of this posting?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=619892.0

Gee

Gee Report 22 Mar 2014 10:58

The death posted above is not your man, he was born in London and shows on the 1901 census

This may be him, given the address details you posted

London, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1965

Name:Thomas Murray

Year:1937

County or Borough:Camden

Ward or Division/Constituency:Holborn

Street address:29 Millman Street

Also at the address: Alice Murray

Name:Thomas S & Alice Murray

Year:1946

County or Borough:Willesden

Ward or Division/Constituency:Harlesden

Street address:5 Rgrb

Reference Number:MR/PER/C/0727

Name:Thomas S & Alice Murray

Year:1956

County or Borough:Willesden

Ward or Division/Constituency:Harlesden

Street address:728 Thomas

Reference Number:MR/PER/C/0989

Do you have his full date of birth and any other details, such as family members?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 22 Mar 2014 12:28

The 1949 electoral roll for the couple that Gins posted above suggests they had a son of the same name:

Name: Thomas S Murray Sr
Year: 1949
County or Borough: Willesden
Ward or Division/Constituency: Harlesden
Street address: 5 Greenhill Park
Reference Number: MR/PER/C/0816

At the same address is Alice Murray and Thomas S Murray jnr.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 22 Mar 2014 12:36

Also, on the 1946 ER posted earlier, there are TWO Thomas S Murrays at the same address (which was actually 5 Greenhill Park) with Alice.

Unusually, there are reference numbers after their names - perhaps to identify which was which?

If Thomas S jnr was eligible to vote in 1946 then born earlier than 1925.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 22 Mar 2014 12:39

Looks like he was still around the telephone system in 1950:

British Postal Service Appointment Books, 1737-1969
Name: Thomas S Murray
Date Appointed: Mar 1950
Place Appointed: London Telecommunications Region

He was nominated for appointment to Tech II

ADDED: He was nominated for an overseers position in 1951

thomas

thomas Report 27 Apr 2014 00:09

thank you very much for your research,very much appreciated, i have since found out thathis wifes maiden name was alice emily brown,born1893 east grinstead sussex.she died in maidstone kent in1981 aged 88.i also found a thomas s murray born in 1920 in uckfield,hampshire his mothers maiden alice brown.the problem is cant find marriage anywhere.were they ma?rried ? thomas simpson murray was married in coatbridge scotland to my grandmother susan oneill murray.were they divorced ?. help
thomas

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Apr 2014 07:38

When were he and Susn last together ?

It may be they separated and he went on to live with Alice as husband and wife but couldn't marry as he wasn't free to do so

If he was discharged from the Army in 1919 and their son was born in 1920 then it looks like he never returned to Susan at all

Flip

Flip Report 27 Apr 2014 09:11

The son Thomas Simpson Murray was born 14/12/1919 according to his death in Islington in 1994. The 3 of them were still together in 1954 at 7 Greenhill Park, but in 1956 there was a Thomas S missing - don't know whether son or father though.

Have you found his military record by any chance - I can't see anything obvious.

Flip

Flip Report 27 Apr 2014 09:28

If you are sure of the death you've found for Alice, a copy of the death certificate should show if she was a widow.

There aren't that many deaths for Thomas S Murray with 1892-4 as birth year, plenty without the middle initial though, do you know his birth date?

thomas

thomas Report 27 Apr 2014 20:02

thank you very much for your help,the only date of birth was from his army record which was june 1893. he was a guardsman in the irish guards from 1914 to 1919 in the 2nd battalion regimental no 6060 and then reinlisted in the military foot police in 1919 as lance/corporal no p17726 cant find any trace of him until 1930 to 1937 in 29 millman st london.
thanks thomas

Flip

Flip Report 28 Apr 2014 05:11

I'm not sure if it's the right one, but in 1922 there was a Thomas Murray residing at 1 - 7 Macklin Street, Lincoln's Inn Ward, Holborn. It looks like some kind of barracks - there are a lot of men listed spanning 3 pages but no women. The voting qualification was "R", with no local election voting rights.

If, as you say he re-enlisted, this could be a possibility.

DId your grandmother ever re-marry, and if not, when did she die?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Apr 2014 07:58

Thomas

Have you bought copies of ANY certs?

thomas

thomas Report 28 Apr 2014 19:14

thank you very much for information,much appreciated.my grandmother never remarried,she died 17th july 1959 age 70. on her death certificate widow of thomas simpson murray.her maiden name was oneill.
i have bought thomas murray army war recordsand also his son hugh bruce murray birth certificate who was born on14th nov 1914 in coatbridge scotland.
thomas

Flip

Flip Report 29 Apr 2014 19:06

I can't see a birth reg (at least not on Ancestry) for a Thomas Simpson Murray around 1895 in Co Antrim - or anywhere in Ireland/england/wales, so wonder if he was originally just Thomas Simpson, or indeed Thomas Murray, but decided to add a middle name later in life. So you can't get a bc to get actual dob.

Do you have your grandparents marriage cert for his fathers name/occupation to see if we can find him on the Ireland 1901/11 census?

As your grandmother lived until 1959 and didn't re-marry (did she just have the one son?) maybe they never divorced so he wasn't free to marry until after 1959. And if we are correct with the ERs he was around until at least 1954.

What record confirmed to you he was Thomas Simpson Murray (rather than Thomas Murray), it's just the earlier ERs you have quoted (1930-37) only have him as Thomas Murray? I don't doubt you, but knowing where info comes from sometimes helps. If he was indeed TSM, then the son TSM birth certificate from 1920 could prove the connection, and his mother's full name.

I'm just probing the possibilities, he may have married alice after your grandmother died, or they may never have married - but he may have married as Thomas S or just Thomas.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 29 Apr 2014 23:32

According to another tree, this is the 1911 census where this Thomas S Murray is identified.
Parents stated to be: William Murray and Rose Marks.

Web: Ireland, Census, 1911 about Hugh Murray
Name: Hugh Murray
Birth Year: abt 1892
Relation to Head: Son
Residence Date: 2 Apr 1911
Residence Place: Alfred Street, Ballymena No. 3 Urban, Antrim, Ireland
Household Members:
Name Age
William Murray 59
Rose Murray 52
Hugh Murray 19
Thomas S Murray Son 17 ** General Labourer

On the assumption that the 1914 marriage in Coatbridge shows the same parents for Thomas ( the Murray O'Neill marriage does exists) then it would also appear that he was still in Lanarkshire until at least 1925.
The tree shows 4 x children born to Thomas and Susan, all in Coatbridge between 1914 and 1926
(There is a break in births between 1914 and 1920 presumably due to WW1)

thomas

thomas Report 30 Apr 2014 18:15

thank you for all the information recieved.most helpfull
thomas

Gee

Gee Report 13 May 2014 07:04

Hi Thomas

Im posting your latest request for info on here so that all the information is in one place

You should delete your latest thread so that info is not duplicated :-)

thomas Report 12 May 2014 23:10

my mother catherine murray was born in belfast maternity on16/10 1920 her mothers maiden name was susan oneill the address on birth certificate was 190
wilton st belfast for the father thomas s murray.he was a soldier based in london.dates dont seem to add up.could this be his families home ,how do i find out help.
thomas