Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Henry Poole(y)

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 14 Sep 2014 09:50

Hi there,

My ancestor Mary Pooley's baptism:

Mary Pooley
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
christening: 3 May 1790 Cockermouth, Cumberland, England
residence: Cockermouth, Cumberland, England
father: Henry Pooley
mother: Mary

She later had an illegitimate child in Carlisle in 1808 under the name POOLEY, but later married in the 1820s under the name POOLE.

Moving on from this, I've looked for information on her parents and found a possible burial:

Henry POOLE, Alcots or Hard-head Briscoe, May 21st, 52 (1819)

This was in Egremont, Cumberland.

On February 8th 1845, Joseph Poole, son of the above Henry Poole makes a claim for an adminstration on his father's estate, saying Henry is '...late of Ulcoates in the Parish of Egremont in the County of Cumberland in the Diocese of Chester Labourer ...' who died on the 17th May 1819. Joseph is decribed '...as a lawful son and one of the next of kin'.

The adminstration, which was granted to Joseph Poole, then goes on to say how:

'Deceased was entitled to 1/8th share of £4500 under the Will of Henry Tolson Esq. of Papcastle - The administrator is a workman at Mr Slaters Manufactory.'

Obviously quite an exciting find, but are the POOLE and the POOLEY names connected in the same persons/family? Also, is it unusual for a labourer to mentioned in such a wealthy will? And why wasn't it claimed?

Best wishes,

Peter

Gritty

Gritty Report 14 Sep 2014 10:18

Henry Poole
Event Type: Bonds
Event Date: 22 Apr 1789
Parish: Lancashire, England
Spouse: Mary Grave
Register Type: Parish Register

Henry Poole and Mary Grave of Cockermouth

I don't know much about bonds but it appears to have been signed by their fathers:
Henry Poole of Redmain in the county of Cumberland and John Grave of Cockermouth in said County, butcher

Gritty

Gritty Report 14 Sep 2014 10:44

Have you got the will of Henry Tolson 1809?

There is mention of his Nephew's, William and John Poole and their Mother (his sister), Mary Poole.

I don't see any direct reference to Henry.

Peter

Peter Report 14 Sep 2014 10:46

Gritty - thank you so much for the marriage! Where on earth did you find this? I think you've just taken my family tree back another generation! I've looked and looked for a marriage before but nothing.

But also, why POOLE and POOLEY - do you think they are the same lot?

And no, not found a will for Henry Tolson yet. Have been searching in Carlisle Record Office. Where did you get this from? Wow, amazing!

Gritty

Gritty Report 14 Sep 2014 10:48

I'll send you the Tolson Will and the marriage bonds- although I'm not sure at he moment if the will is related to your family.

Peter

Peter Report 14 Sep 2014 11:04

Thank you - for more information, the back of the administration states:

KNOW ALL MEN by these presents that we Joseph Poole of the Borough of Carlisle Reelmaster Samuel Foden of the same place Cotton Spinner William Randleson also of the same place Grocer are held and firmly bound until the Right Reverend Father in God Hugh by divine permission, Lord Bishop of Carlisle in the sum of twelve hundred pounds of lawful money of Great Britain, to be paid unto the said Lord Bishop, or to his certain attorney, his executors, administrators, or assigns, for which payment well and truly to be made, we oblige ourselves, and each of us by himself for the whole of our heirs, executors, and administrators, firmly by these presents, sealed without seals, dated the eighth day of February in the year of our Lord, one thousand eight hundred and forty five.

Who on earth are the other men?

Peter

Peter Report 14 Sep 2014 11:12

On another note, thank you for the marriage bond - I think this is the bridegroom and the bride's father. Not sure though - wow, where did you get this?

Going to have a look through the will now ...

Gritty

Gritty Report 14 Sep 2014 11:17

The records are on ancestry- I've had problems with the will and can only download the first page.

I'm just trying to work a few things out- who did Mary marry

Peter

Peter Report 14 Sep 2014 11:24

Mary the daughter (1790-1869) married William Tennat in Barony near Glasgow in 1826. They had two children ... Henry and Isabella. Mary had a relative Sarah Halliday staying with her in 1851 (a granddaughter from her illegitimate daughter Jane Pooley born 1810 in Carlisle). In 1851/1861 Mary states she was born in Cockermouth, and her death certificate states she was the widow of William Tennant, a weaver.

I think he died in 1837 in Glasgow, aged 50 described as a cotton spinner.

I've already a lot of info on these families and have some threads on this site, but not looking for info on them. This is a separate thread pertaining to the Poole family.

Does that make sense Gritty?

Flip

Flip Report 14 Sep 2014 11:24

Mary Tolson, christened 9/2/1732 Bridekirk, father Henry
Married John Poole 3/11/1761 Bridekirk
Henry Tolson, christened 28/3/1745 Bridekirk, father Henry

From familysearch.org

Added: Henry Tolson married Margaret Head, at Brigham 25/9/1773

Peter

Peter Report 14 Sep 2014 11:32

Ah Flip - a connection! Wow, thank you ... I'm still in the 1790s, not got that far yet!

Peter

Peter Report 14 Sep 2014 11:45

So would it be fair to assume that Mary Tolson and John Poole where the parents of Henry Poole(y), born c. 1767 and who is mentioned in the 1845 administration?

Also, found this (from: http://genforum.genealogy.com/tolson/messages/476.html):

A Henry Tolson died 22/11/1807 in Papcastle, Cumbria leaving to Margaret his widow all his real estate at Papcastle, Hameshill, Cleaty Bank, Brandling Gill, and Aspatria, to be sold to pay the legacies

The conveyance for the preceding (William Poole of Whitehaven, corn factor, devisee in trust of the late Henry Tolson of Papcastle, gent., John Simpson of Redmain gent., Alice Frears of Ravenglass spinster, cousin and cust. heir of Jane Head of Brandling Gill spinster deceased and of Margaret Tolson of Papcastle widow deceased, and Mary Poole of Maryport widow and sister of Henry Tolson deceased, to Henry Allason [sic] of Mosser, yeo.) reciting re Cleaty Bank from the late Henry Tolson's time (both parts, the 3s. 11d. and the 4s. 0½d.), and that Henry Tolson died on 22 Nov. 1807 leaving to Margaret his widow all his real estate at Papcastle, Hameshill, Cleaty Bank, Brandling Gill, and Aspatria, to be sold to pay the legacies etc.; Royal Arms at head, dealer's name beneath

Flip

Flip Report 14 Sep 2014 11:56

This is one of Mary/John's children mentioned in the will:

Tolson Poole
Christening Date: 30 Apr 1778
Christening Place: Isell, Cumberland, England
Father's Name:John Poole
Mother's Name:Mary

There are others, but I haven't found a Henry yet.

EDIT: Not sure this is right, Mary would have been 46 years old and the other births are later again.

Peter

Peter Report 14 Sep 2014 12:10

Hmmmm a little confusing. What do you think from here? Am I jumping too far ahead at the moment?

Gritty

Gritty Report 14 Sep 2014 12:17

I think you maybe getting too far ahead! I'm not sure the Tolson lot are related to your Pooles, I think it's going to take some work

Flip

Flip Report 14 Sep 2014 12:34

How have you linked your Mary Poole to Joseph Poole to know you are looking at the same family?

Peter

Peter Report 14 Sep 2014 12:45

Thank you Gritty. Hmmm, interesting and thank you for your honesty. I am not afraid of the work to confirm but how would be best to do so?

RE Flip, looking at the census Joseph Poole lived in Carlisle until his death in 1876. One of the census returns shows Joseph Poole was born in Bolton.

Mary Poole(y), my ancestor (1790-1869) was in the Carlisle in 1810 and then again from at least 1841 until her death.

Both lived on Botchergate in Carlisle in 1841.

From the IGI I've found a baptism for my ancestor Mary:

Mary Pooley
christening: 3 May 1790 Cockermouth, Cumberland, England
residence: Cockermouth, Cumberland, England
father: Henry Pooley
mother: Mary

I then found a possible baptism for Joseph Pooley:

Joseph Puley
birth: GB
christening: 14 February 1796 Bolton-le-Moors, Lancashire, England
residence: Bolton-le-Moors, Lancashire, England
father: Henry Puley
mother: Mary Puley

This is along with siblings:

John born 1792 in Bolton
Sarah born 1798 in Bolton

I should also note that Mary Pooley (1790-1869) had a daughter baptised illegitimately in 1810 in Carlisle under the name Jane POOLEY - she married in Carlisle in 1829 under the name POOLE.

Does this connection seem merely circumstantial without any real weight?

Peter

Peter Report 14 Sep 2014 13:06

Census details
First name(s) Joseph
Last name Poole
Gender Male
Age 44
Birth year 1797
Birth county -
Street John Street
Parish or township St Cuthbert
City or borough Carlisle
Town Botchergate
County Cumberland
Country England
Registration district Carlisle
Archive reference HO107
Piece number 175
Book number 9
Folio number 22
Page number 39
Record set 1841 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Category Census, land & surveys
Record collection Census
Collections from Great Britain

AND

Census details
First name(s) Mary
Last name Tennant
Gender Female
Age 46
Birth year 1795
Birth county Cumberland
Street Water Street
Parish or township St Cuthbert
City or borough Carlisle
Town Botchergate
County Cumberland
Country England
Registration district Carlisle
Archive reference HO107
Piece number 175
Book number 9
Folio number 10
Page number 15
Record set 1841 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Category Census, land & surveys
Record collection Census
Collections from Great Britain

Peter

Peter Report 14 Sep 2014 13:07

Any ideas if this is worth pursuing?

Flip

Flip Report 14 Sep 2014 13:10

Well, difficult to prove without finding them actually together - or mentioned in one or the others wills. Joseph was only on one census stating born Bolton, the other 2 I think were Cumberland.

Talking of wills, Carlisle records office has a copy of Margaret Tolson's will - their reference number is DLAW/1/306/14 if you are local - it might give more to link to Joseph and or Mary.