Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

LILIAN MARY(MARIAN) BASS

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

jenVG

jenVG Report 11 Oct 2014 17:43

I am trying to find out about the above person who lived in Camberwell from 1931 to 1957 as she appeared on the electoral register in those years - meaning she was at least 21 at the beginning of that period. Any help would be appreciated as this is proving to be a brick wall situation. Thanks in anticipation. :-(

patchem

patchem Report 11 Oct 2014 17:48

Could you explain how you got back to her, to know what sort of brick wall you are trying to knock down?

Thank-you.

Added:
Living with Henry F ?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 11 Oct 2014 17:59

Was that her married name?

There is this marriage of a male named Bass to a female whose first name was Lilian:-

First name(s) BERTIE
Last name BASS
Marriage quarter 3
Marriage year 1923
Registration month -
MarriageFinderâ„¢ BERTIE BASS married
LILIAN M MORRIS
Spouse's last name MORRIS
District WEST HAM
District number -
County Essex
Country England
Volume 4A
Page 193

Could this be the person you are looking for?

Kath. x

Andrew

Andrew Report 11 Oct 2014 18:03

On the London ER she is with Henry Frederick Bass.

Andy

patchem

patchem Report 11 Oct 2014 18:03

With Bertie:

London, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1965 about Lilian M Bass
Name: Lilian M Bass
Year: 1947
County or Borough: Harrow
Ward or Division/Constituency: Harrow East
Reference Number: MR/PER/C/0714

With Henry F

London, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1965 about Lilian M Bass
Name: Lilian M Bass
Year: 1947
County or Borough: Southwark
Ward or Division/Constituency: Camberwell
Street address: 27 3m8

jenVG

jenVG Report 11 Oct 2014 18:07

Yes Patchem - living at the same address as Henry Frederick Bass. Now, the question is was she his daughter or a woman using his name. I don't think there is any way of finding out - unless there is something I don't know about in the way of records.
Kathleen there are no Bertie Bass males in the family so I don't think that has anything to do with things. THanks anyway

Andrew

Andrew Report 11 Oct 2014 18:11

Henry is at the same address on his own in 1920

Andy

jenVG

jenVG Report 11 Oct 2014 18:15

Yes Andrew - Which leads me to believe that Lilian May may have been there too - but as a child and too young to vote.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 11 Oct 2014 18:16

Jennifer do you know something about Henry Frederick Bass?

date of birth, whether married, when died ...

the more info the better, for getting help, so anything you know, rather than waiting for the right question to be asked :-)

Births Mar 1870
Bass Henry Frederick Epping 4a 98

Births Dec 1885
Bass Henry Frederick Bethnal Green 1c 206

the 3rd by that name was born 1907 so too young

Andrew

Andrew Report 11 Oct 2014 18:19

There is Mary Lilian Bass there in 1926

Andy

jenVG

jenVG Report 11 Oct 2014 18:49

Hi JoonieCloonie, Henry Frederick Bass was born in Bethnal Green in 1885 to parents Frederick Henry Bass and Catherine nee Court. Fred Hen was my grandmother's brother. Thanks for trying to help He married Mary Ann Connor in Dec 1907 and they were together on the 1911 census at Arbour Square Stepney. The marriage did not survive (family knowlege handed down). Now whether the marriage split was temporary as there was a Mary Ann Bass with Hen Fred in the 1930's on and off - sometimes listed as Ann Mary. Could do with a time machine here - or a sneak preview of the 1921 census.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 11 Oct 2014 20:46

it does seem likely that she was a new partner living with him as spouse

Lilian/Mary and Mary/Ann were never there at the same time?

there were no children in Fred's household in 1911, and no Bass-Connor births, so he and Mary Ann did not have kids?

his death ? name switched, but they all seem to have done it !

Name: Frederick H Bass
Birth Date: abt 1886
Date of Registration: Sep 1959
Age at Death: 73
Registration district: Camberwell
Inferred County: London
Volume: 5c
Page: 139

I guess it would be worth seeing who the informant was ... if Lilian/Mary is only there until 1957 this could be why, and she might be on the death certificate

Name: Mary Ann Bass ?
Birth Date: 4 Apr 1889
Date of Registration: Dec 1969
Age at Death: 80
Registration district: Hackney
Inferred County: Greater London
Volume: 5b
Page: 1784

she would have turned 22, 2 days after the 1911 census :-)

oh for the 1921 census, indeed ...

jenVG

jenVG Report 11 Oct 2014 20:55

I have got his death cert and the informant was somebody called John J O'Keefe nephew. I know of no O'Keefe connections to the Bass family and all investigations to finding out who this man was have drawn a blank. He was at the address for a couple of years after Hen Fred's death in Sept 1959 and then disappeared! Our Mary Ann (nee Connor) was born August 1888 in Whitechapel. Thnaks for trying to help me.
regards

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 11 Oct 2014 23:10

a possibility for Mary Ann Bass (assuming you don't know?)

Name: Mary A Bass
Birth Date: abt 1888
Date of Registration: Dec 1945
Age at Death: 57
Registration district: Fulham
Inferred County: London
Volume: 1a
Page: 311

it sounds like John J O'Keefe could have been related to Lilian/Mary ... possibly even her son, saying 'nephew' to avoid complications

jenVG

jenVG Report 11 Oct 2014 23:25

I wondered that too. I think another £9.25 is called for at the GRO. Maybe worth it to solve this. The niece of Mary Ann Bass is in touch with me as we have joined forces to crack this. (Joan Penfold)

Thanks again

jenVG

jenVG Report 14 Oct 2014 23:07

Hi everybody. The death cert for the Fulham Mary Ann Bass is on its way. In the meantime Mary Ann's niece has sent me a copy of her aunt's marriage cert and I notice that one of the witnesses was called Lillian Kelly. The other one was Michael John Kirby. (22nd December 1907 Mile End Old Town Guardian Angels Chapel - Henry Frederick Bass aged 22 yrs a carman of 106 Skidmore Streeet and Mary Ann Connor aged 19yrs of 124 Ernest ? Street. Would it not be strange if that Lillian was the same person who ended up living with Hen Fred for all those years up to 1958.
We may get some more info from the death cert and if not I think we will throw in the towel. Thanks for your interest everybody

jenVG

jenVG Report 23 Oct 2014 09:58

Joonie - The death cert for Mary Ann Bass in 1945 in Fulham arrived and unfortunately it was the wrong lady (wrong husband) - so at least we can discount that one. I have another line to follow time permitting. On the marriage cert of Mary Ann Connor and Henry Frederick Bass in Dec 1907 here were two witnesses as usual and one of them was a Lillian Kelly. So as the bride had no sisters called Lillian (who could have married before to become Kelly) I am thinking that this Lillian is the best friend of our Mary Ann Connor and of similar age. Can you advise me if it is better for me to seek help on here by putting on a new post about this person please?

jenVG

jenVG Report 23 Oct 2014 09:58

PS - She definitely signed her name Lillian with 2 "l's"

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 23 Oct 2014 22:31

I would keep going in this thread just so all the background info is there.

I will probably be a bit useless myself as I am trying to get organized to move house ... and I am despairing

the Lil/Lill I might not put too much store in, having two Aunt Lil's and a grandmother Lilian and a partner's mother Lilian in my family that I can think of offhand, I've seen their names spelled various ways in various places :-)

she could also have been a Lily who decided to update her name ... I have seen more than one instance of that

jenVG

jenVG Report 23 Oct 2014 22:37

Thanks. Hope the house move goes well. That is no.3 in the levels of stress after beveavement and divorce. In the meantime I shall be considering the lilies of the field - how they grow etc etc.