Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ellen family ex N.S.W. Australia

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Graham

Graham Report 5 Jun 2016 01:35

Looking for Ellen family siblings graham Leslie,Kenneth Roy,Lynette Fay and Darlene Kim Ellen ,mother seems to have died in Hertfordshire uk 1968 aged 77 but buried Enfield Sydney where born Iris Evaline Young,m.thomas William Ellen 1917 kind regards Graham Chambers ( young tree) N.Z.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 5 Jun 2016 12:03

Hello, Graham.

You say "ex NSW Australia". Do you mean that they don't live there now? If so, when did they leave?

I see from Australian electoral rolls that Darlene was still living there in 1980.
In the same household were Alma Maud Ellen, Kenneth Roy Ellen, and Roy Thomas Ellen.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 5 Jun 2016 12:14

Graham Leslie was at a different address in NSW in 1980, with Marie Farrar Ellen.

Lynette Fay doesn't show on ER's on Ancestry after 1968, when she's with Alma, Graham, and Roy.

Ancestry doesn't show ER's after 1980.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 5 Jun 2016 14:56

I don't see the death for Iris in the UK? Where does your information come from?

Electoral roll:
Name: Iris Evaline Ellen
Electoral Year: 1963
Subdistrict: Croydon
State: New South Wales
District: Evans

Maddie

Maddie Report 5 Jun 2016 15:12

Iris Evaline Ellen

in the Australia and New Zealand, Find A Grave Index, 1800s-Curren

Name: Iris Evaline Ellen
Birth Date: 1891
Death Date: 21 Mar 1968
Cemetery: St Thomas Anglican Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place: Enfield, Burwood Municipality, New South Wales, Australia
Has Bio?: N
URL: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-...

Maddie

Maddie Report 5 Jun 2016 15:18

?

Name: ELLEN, Roy Thomas
Location of Event: late of Toongabbie,
Date: 13 FEB 2001
Subtype of Record: death notice
Newspaper: Sydney Daily Telegraph
Notes: pub. 15 FEB 2001. Browse the Ryerson Index.

Roy Thomas Ellen

in the Web: Australia and New Zealand, Rootsweb Death Index, 1813-2003

Report issue

Name: Roy Thomas Ellen
Residence Date: 2001
Residence Place: Toongabbie
Death Date: 13 Feb 2001
Notes: newspaper (death notice); late of Toongabbie

Graham

Graham Report 5 Jun 2016 21:50

Hi.all thanks for the fast response,Iris,s g.father was Thomas George Young b.1827 Brighton sussex convicted old bailey 1852 arrived swan river australia February 1852,married Augusta Orpwood abt.1856 Victoria ,sons Orpwood Footner young Thomas Patterson young he m.mary Thurza .I have only found 2 children Iris andRoy Orpwood killed france aug 1916 aged21 gravestone Enfield Cemetery Sydney .one source on anestry shows Iris Evalene d.1968 aged 76 in Hertfordshire uk but she is on the stone in Sydney regards Graham chambers nz

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Jun 2016 12:34

Parts of Enfield, England are in the county of Hertfordshire.
Ancestry's predicitve text has probably assumed the UK rather than the Sydney Cemetery.

Graham

Graham Report 7 Jun 2016 00:29

Hi detective ,thanks for that but St.Thomas church Enfield Cemetery is in north Sydney ,australia cemeteries index posts a photo of stone that ties them in,the Ellen tree on anestry states she d.1968 St.Albans Hertfordshire uk.,was she visiting one of her adult children working in uk? Unfortunely The Ellen tree has not been operative for 9 months Regards Graham nz

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Jun 2016 08:30

That's really weird as there's no death reg in that name on the GRO index. Had she remarried so she'd have a different surname?
Do you have her exact DOB as a checking fact?
Have you tried to contact the cemetery? They may have further details they can share. If they can give you the funeral directors name, they might be able to shed further light on it.
It's still worth contacting the Ancestry tree owner in case the linked email address is still active. Include your own in case they are non-subscribers.

Added - the tree still shows attached records which would indicate they still have a subscription.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Jun 2016 09:29

Her death is registered in NSW. Although I'm not familiar with the way Aust death reg work, wouldn't it have been recorded in a death overseas index rather than the burial state one?
If someone dies in the UK, it HAS to be registered in the UK even if there is an additional entry on their country's index.

https://familyhistory.bdm.nsw.gov.au/lifelink/familyhistory/search/result?2

Registration Number Family Name Given Name(s) Father's Given Name(s) Mother's Given Name(s) District
22137/1968 ELLEN IRIS EVALINE THOMAS PATTERSON MARY LOUIZA BURWOOD

You could order a copy, or use a transcription service, as the death was more than 30 years ago. It should give the names of her surviving children

Graham

Graham Report 7 Jun 2016 11:31

Cheers detective that gives me some areas to try regards graham N.Z.

Graham

Graham Report 7 Jun 2016 11:36

Hi again Iris Evaline Ellen d 21st March 1968 aged68 yrs as per headstone regards Graham N.Z.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 Jun 2016 12:07

There are a few Irises, and an Evaline, whose deaths are registered in Herts in the first two quarters of 1968 - but none that look likely to be your Iris, even if she had perhaps remarried.

None of them were the right age, and none of them were registered in St Albans..

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Jun 2016 12:22

ArgyllGran, I've even tried Eva (one of mine was officially an Evaline) but nothing with the roughly the correct age.

I'm more and more convinced that the tree owner on Ancestry made an error. when entering the place of death. They haven't attached a death index record to substantiate the fact + one of their sources is Ancestry's Family Trees.

Graham - if you don't get joy from the church/cemetery, you may have to fork out for the NSW DC

Graham

Graham Report 23 Jun 2016 04:23

Thanks detEcTive for all your help,just had a winner on the lockyer family of rotherfield sussex right back to the 1400,s so I will now have another go for Stephen Chambers and his wife Mary Ann Buglar of bermondsey surrey cannot find them after their sons birth in 1819 Graham n.z

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 23 Jun 2016 13:15

Best to start a new thread re the Buglars, Graham, with their names in the title, rather than mix them up with the Ellens.

(Assuming you want help with them!)

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 24 Jun 2016 02:14

Hi Graham

Thought I'd have a peep at the Victorian records for your YOUNG line.

Thomas George YOUNG married Augusta BARRETT in Victoria in 1858 (reg 32).

Two sons both born in Ballarat:
Thomas Patterson YOUNG 1861/2152
Orpwood Footner YOUNG 1865/225

Mother's mn shows as ORPWOOD.

Her first marriage was to Chas BARRETT - 1854 in St Martin in the Fields, Middlesex. They arrived in Victoria aboad 'Agra' in Dec 1854 both aged 25. They had a daughter named Clara Jane b. 1855 Geelong, d. 1857 aged 20 months. No death found for Chas in Victoria.

Orpwood married Caroline EVANS in Sydney NSW in 1895 (reg 6525).

Possible for Thomas to Mary LETTS in Paddington NSW in 1890 (reg 6003).

Children of Thomas P & Mary T, born Waverley district NSW:
Iris Evaline 1891 (m. Thomas W ELLEN 1917)
Roy Orpwood 1895 (KIA in 1916, WWI - see NAA RecordSearch)

Thomas died in 1942 in Granville district NSW (reg 9492) and Orpwood died in 1945 in Ashfield district (reg 641).

I agree that it is most likely Iris died in NSW (1968), or her death would not be registered there. Perhaps she died on the voyage back from the UK or fell ill on the ship and died soon after?

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 24 Jun 2016 02:36

The Sydney Morning Herald, Fri 26 January 1945
YOUNG.-January 25, 1945, at the residence of his niece, Mrs. I. Ellen, 207 Croydon Road, Croydon, Orpwood (Alf). Footner Young, beloved husband of the late Caroline
Young, aged 81 years.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/17942826

Ryerson Index has death of Iris' husband - the death notice may assist:
ELLEN Thomas William
Death notice
21MAY1961 Death [aged] 69, late of Croydon
Sydney Morning Herald 22MAY1961

There is also a death of Iris Young ELLEN in 1994 aged 69? Daughter?

See http://ryersonindex.net/search.php

Graham

Graham Report 24 Jun 2016 03:51

Hi Cherilyn.thanks for that ,there seems to be a Roy Thomas Ellen b..abt.1923 served ww2 m. a ? Jenner abt.1942 ,they had quite a few children I think the oz death notices show his death as 2001,was Iris Evaline visiting one of her children on their big O E in uk .her death only appears as St. Albans Hertfordshire on the Ellen Tree( ancestry) but she is named on grave stone at st.Thomas Enfield Sydney .very confusing,Augusta Barrett coming from the around the same area in U.K now that interesting .that area is also the main area for Ellen families regards Graham .N.Z