Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Henry McCudden (c1777, Loughgall?, Armagh)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Grania

Grania Report 1 Oct 2016 08:34

My father and I are seeking information about Henry McCudden who arrived in Australia in 1797 from Ireland. We have information about his life in Australia and are keen to know about his early years in Ireland, where he was born and the names of his parents and siblings. We know one brother was Francis McCudden, probably born either side of Henry's probable birth year of 1777.
Any assistance will be appreciated.
Grania

malyon

malyon Report 1 Oct 2016 11:59

you should have added this to the posting you already have there is only that he was born 1777

Grania

Grania Report 1 Oct 2016 14:21

Thank you Malyon

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 2 Oct 2016 09:18

Grania....That's a Grand Irish name !

Check out Grainne Mhoal. Pirate Queen of Connacht....( translated as Grace O'Malley...).

I think the following is possibly your Henry and his nephew John.....
I will also list them on your other thread as I am not sure if your going to continue on this one .

Henry McCudden

Details

Alias: McCudding Irish Rebel: Religion: Catholic Age on arrival: 19
Marital status:
Calling/trade:
Born: 1778 Native place:
Tried: 1796 Armagh Sentence: Life Former convictions:
Ship: Britannia I (1797)
Crime:
Description:
Remarks: Guilty of manslaughter of James Core 1807
Spouse: m 1804 Parramatta Elizabeth Prosser per Experiment (1804)
Died:

See notation re Henry on Johns Details.******

John McCudden

Details

Alias: Irish Rebel: Religion: Catholic Age on arrival: 32
Marital status: Single. uncle Henry McCudden arrived per Britannia I (1797) ****
Calling/trade: Soldier officers servant
Born: 1797 Native place: Armagh Co
Tried: 1827 Poonah Bombay India Sentence: Life Former convictions: 2 8 months
Ship: Flora (1829)
Crime: Desertion
Description:
Remarks:
Spouse:
Died: 1835 Wingello Stockade

Grania

Grania Report 2 Oct 2016 15:33

Yes, Eringobragh, these are definitely my forebears and the information you've provided confirms what we have although I've not seen the aliases before! From where did you get them?
We are really interested in finding out anything we can about their early history in Ireland and who Henry's parents were but it seems the records, if there ever were any, no longer exist.
My parents chose Grainne to go with my Irish surname but Anglicised the spelling for the benefit of my fellow Aussies. I've learned more about Grainne Mhoal as an adult. She was certainly no shrinking violet! :-D

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 3 Oct 2016 05:23

just cross-referencing the multiplicity of threads for anyone else who happens along, thanks to ArgyllGran for pointing it out

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1362416

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1362424

one ... thread ... per ... family ... enquiry

Grania

Grania Report 3 Oct 2016 17:51

My apologies about the multiple threads. I am new to this.