Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Albone Brothers.

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 15 Jan 2023 17:56

I have a newspaper report in the Biggleswade Chronicle dated 1935 about two brothers joining up in the army.
There names are Wallace and Fred Albone. I cannot find the births or indeed any other details of these two. Their address is given as 58,Cemetery Street,Biggleswade.

Please note these are NOT the sons of James Cornelius Albone and Rebecca Clarke as that Wallace died in 1919.

Many thanks.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Jan 2023 18:12

This looks like their births (both illegitimate):-

First name(s) Wallace George
Country England
Last name Albone
Volume 3B
Birth quarter 4
Page 349
Birth year 1895
Record set England & Wales Births 1837-2006
Mother's maiden name -
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
District Biggleswade
Subcategory Civil Births
County Bedfordshire
Collections from Great Britain, England

and:-

First name(s) Frederick
Country England
Last name Albone
Volume 3B
Birth quarter 3
Page 358
Birth year 1901
Record set England & Wales Births 1837-2006
Mother's maiden name -
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
District Biggleswade
Subcategory Civil Births
County Bedfordshire
Collections from Great Britain, England

Kath. x

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Jan 2023 18:12

Did the newspaper suggest how old they were?

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 15 Jan 2023 18:14

No it didn't give any information at all.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Jan 2023 18:17

There is a FredericK J Albone born in 1915 mmn Burbridge. Freebmd have a note against it, not too sure what it means.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 15 Jan 2023 18:18

The Wallace born 1895 you have given me I believe is the son of James Cornelius and Rebecca Clark who died in 1919.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Jan 2023 18:19

Are they on the 1921 census?

Edi: re earlier post - it is Burnage and they had a son in 1922

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Jan 2023 18:23

Yes, the Wallace George birth I gave is wrong.

Kath. x

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Jan 2023 18:25

Charles Albone married Beatrice Burnage in 1916.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 15 Jan 2023 18:28

The Frederick born to Burnage has not got a brother called Wallis that I can find. Very puzzling these two and it does not help that the Albones are prolific in Biggleswade.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 15 Jan 2023 19:06

Yes it is now Lawrence Road Erika.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 15 Jan 2023 19:13

Thank you Erika but there is no Fred in that family as I had a look at him too in case he was using his middle name

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Jan 2023 19:44

Wallace George is the only Wallace Albone/Allbone/Allibone/Alborne born anywhere in England/Wales at any time.
There are none of a suitable age with Wallace as a middle name, either.

EDIT:
There's this one:

ALBON, WALLACE JAMES mmn GODFREY
GRO Reference: 1899 S Quarter in BIGGLESWADE Volume 03B Page 365

But he doesn't have a brother called Fred.
His father's name is Jonathan.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Jan 2023 20:16

This is the only 1935 Biggleswade Chronicle mention of them that I can find (searching BNA without a sub):

Messrs. Wallace and Fred Albone, of 58 • I Cemetery Street, Biggleswade, enlisted ini the o/bth Beds. on Monday.

Published: Friday 14 June 1935
Newspaper: Biggleswade Chronicle

If that's the same article you found, LG, it doesn't say they were brothers.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 15 Jan 2023 20:25

That is the article I have. I stupidly assumed they were brothers. I still cannot find a Wallace that fits age wise for WW2. This family however do like to use their middle names instead of their given name so it is like a needle in a haystack.

alviegal

alviegal Report 15 Jan 2023 21:12

The newspsper article is clippings from 10, 20 or 30 years ago.

June 11th 1915- " The Biggleswade Chronicle” Prisoners I of War Fund now totals £2l j Messrs. Wallace and Fred Albone, of 58 • I Cemetery Street, Biggleswade, enlisted ini the o/bth Beds. on Monday. Mr. j .John Lincoln, of Cowfoirlands, joined the I
14 June 1935 - Biggleswade Chronicle - Biggleswade, Bedfordshire, England

This is the original and they were brothers.

Messrs Wallace and Fred Albone. the two eldest sons of . Mr James Albone, Cemetery Street, enlisted on Monday in the 3/5th Battalion Bedfordshire Regiment. The latter has been valet to Captain St Quinton of Bedford.
11 June 1915 - Bedfordshire Times and Independent - Bedford, Bedfordshire, England

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 15 Jan 2023 21:20

Ah that makes sense, Thank you I know of these two Frederick went on to serve in the 2nd world war and Wallace was killed in Action in WW1. Many thanks for sorting that for me Alviegal I had not realised that the clip was referring to WW1.

Many thanks to everyone who has spent their time trying to help with this. It is very much appreciated

alviegal

alviegal Report 15 Jan 2023 21:26

The coffin was plain English oak. with brass' furniture, and bore the inscription: Wallace George Albone, died May l5th, 1919 aged 23 years." The chief mourners were Mr. and Mrs. James Albone (parents), Pte. Stanley Albone and Master harold Albone (brothers)....
23 May 1919 - Biggleswade Chronicle - Biggleswade, Bedfordshire, England

what a very sad story this is and brother Fred was serving in Egypt so didn't make the funeral.

Wallace was actually in Doncaster when he died.

He had been serving in Egypt and had contracted malaria. He was sent back to England early in 1919 and upon his discharge returned home in March for a week or so.

He went to Doncaster where his fiancee lived and they were due to be married at Whitsuntide. He was working up until the Tuesday and died on the Thursday.

His parents had been telegraphed but he died just as they arrived in the street where he stayed.

His body was transferred by rail to Biggleswick where he was buried on the Monday.

His fiancee was a Miss Champkins of Doncaster.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 15 Jan 2023 21:31

Unfortunately there were many sad stories in WW1. I was in charge of putting together a WW1 project to research every service person from Biggleswade and there were a lot of them. I have now started on the WW2 service people but with not much online it is not always an easy task.

alviegal

alviegal Report 15 Jan 2023 21:40

Well done to you and everyone who keeps their memories alive.