Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Edward Anderson

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley

Shirley Report 3 Mar 2023 18:49

looking for help with Edward Anderson who died between 1911 and 1929.Death could have been in Durham or west Yorkshire, possibly Halifax or brighouse. He was father of Mary Anderson born January 4th 1911. Mary married William Quinn in 1929 in Halifax district. Mary could have been a traveller possibly from a traveller family. I'm hoping to find who her father Edward was. I'm not certain where she was born but could maybe be easington Durham or Yorkshire. I have her on the 1939 census in Burnley living with widower William sweeney and her children.
can anyone help figure out anything about her father Edward Anderson :-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 3 Mar 2023 18:58

When was Edward born? Have you tried looking for his death yourself?

Have you looked for the child’s birth?

How do you know her father was named Edward?

Is she with him on 1911 census?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 3 Mar 2023 19:41

Have you looked through the deaths on freebmd?

Do you know who Mary’s mother was?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 3 Mar 2023 19:49

I can see NO sign of the marriage to which you refer

EDIT. Not surprising - it was in 1928!!

Shirley

Shirley Report 3 Mar 2023 19:50

Mary was born January 4th 1911.She married William quinn in Halifax in 1928.on the marriage cert it says father deceased Edward Anderson. We have her in brighouse same address as William quinn in 1928° her witnesses were lucilla white and whst looks like beaty cain. USUALLY man and woman witness isn't it so I presume beaty cain is a man. We did think marys dad might have been James Anderson and Mary nee sweeney. But no.I have a death in 1987.In Halifax district. She left William quinn and ended up with William sweeney in Burnley. Then in around 1940 ish she left William sweeney and the children and went to wherever and ended up dying in Halifax on 1987.We know she had more children but not sure who.

Shirley

Shirley Report 3 Mar 2023 19:53

I'm not sure where she was born but we seem to think Durham so could be the easington one but not certain. :-)

Shirley

Shirley Report 3 Mar 2023 19:55

I have chrvkrd deaths for Edward and found a few likely ones but without an age I've no idea. I've no clue who her mother was at all. :-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 3 Mar 2023 19:55

You are taking her birth date from 1939 register and death record, I presume

‘Deceased’ fathers didn’t always actually exist

Shirley

Shirley Report 3 Mar 2023 19:56

sorry, did I say 1929 for her marriage, it's 1928

Shirley

Shirley Report 3 Mar 2023 19:57

yes I am . True I am assuming deceased father was a real person. He may well not have been I suppose :-)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 3 Mar 2023 19:58

1939 for our reference.

Be aware that DOBs on the 1939 Register aren't always accurate - often a year or two out.

Mary Quinn
in the 1939 England and Wales Register
Name: Mary Quinn
Marital Status: Married
Birth Date: 4 Jan 1911
Residence Date: 1939
Address: 48
Residence Place: Burnley, Lancashire, England
Line Number: 31
Schedule Number: 37
Sub Schedule Number: 6
Enumeration District: Nfar
Borough: Burnley
Registration district: 472/1
Household Members (Name) Age
William Sweeney 36 - widowed
William Sweeney 7
Martin Sweeney 0
Margaret June Sweeney 2
This record is officially closed.
Mary Quinn 28

The closed record might be William.

At least we know it's not another Sweeney child.

Births Dec 1932 (>99%)
Sweeney William Anderson Burnley xxxxx

Births Sep 1937 (>99%)
Sweeney Margaret J Anderson Burnley xxxxx

Births Dec 1939 (>99%)
Sweeney Martin Anderson Burnley 8e 281
[Died 1944 ]

I don't see the death of their mother, presumably in Burnley, Oct-Dec quarter.
I assume she was a sister of Mary.

Shirley

Shirley Report 3 Mar 2023 20:01

I suppose I could get the easington birth certificate to check if birth was 4th January and father may be named on it or not I'm But will give me mothers name.
:-)

Shirley

Shirley Report 3 Mar 2023 20:07

the children were registered under two names, quinn and sweeney. ANNIE was William quinns child definately but we are querying William sweeney /Quinn and we think Margaret June is definately William sweeneys child as Mary was living with Sweeney in the 1930S. William Sweeneys first wife was catherine who died in 1932august.. William Sweeney /Quinn was born in 1932 in December so there is a query there for the father. :-) :-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 3 Mar 2023 20:38

Check the Easington birth on the GRO site, for info about whether the mother was married

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 3 Mar 2023 20:52

Confusing - there's the Sweeney name again:

ANDERSON, MARY mmn SWEENEY
GRO Reference: 1911 M Quarter in EASINGTON Volume 10A Page 506

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 3 Mar 2023 20:57

James Anderson m. Mary Sweeney 1910

Three further children after Mary

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 3 Mar 2023 21:01

James Anderson
in the 1911 England Census
Name: James Anderson
Age in 1911: 21
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1890
Relation to Head: Head
Birth Place: Fellonsoh Tyne, Durham, England
Civil Parish: Seaham
County/Island: Durham
Street Address: Vesey's Buildings New Seaham
Marital status: Married
Registration District Number: 552
Sub-registration District: Dawdon
ED, institution, or vessel: 17
Piece: 30036
Household Members:
Name Age
James Anderson 21
Mary Anderson 21
Mary Anderson 3/12

So IF Edward really was your Mary's father, the Easington birth isn't the right one.

Shirley

Shirley Report 3 Mar 2023 21:15

mm interesting. We did think James Anderson and Mary sweeney were the parents. but when we got marys marriage certificate it said Edward so back to the drawing board. All we know is thst Mary Anderson married William quinn in 1928.She went on to have Annie quinn in halifax with William. Then we lose her until she appears in the 1939 census with William sweeney who we know is father of Martin sweeney and Margaret June with Mary quinn nee Anderson. The three chikdren born in Burnley were registered under both Quinn andSweeney. I thought thst might be because she was married to quinn still but the children were sweeneys. Catherine Barry
was William sweeneys first wife and she was not sister of Mary. She died in 1932.The chikdren were Annie, William, Martin and Margaret June. Martin died as a child. Annie was definateky William quinn and Mary andersons child. We know this as Margaret June told us this. And Margaret June says her mum disappeared and left her with William sweeney with all the kids, including Annie. She didn't really know her mum but knew she died in Halifax in 1987 :-)

Shirley

Shirley Report 3 Mar 2023 21:24

so it's probably not the Mary Anderson born easington. Unless I can find exactly when that one was born. They, or at least the quinns and andersons were travelling families because Annie says she was living in a caravan when she was born. We have heard William quinn was a bare knuckled boxer and he travelled all over the place. He met another lady in the forties and had children with her but never married her. Maybe because he was still married to Mary. Mary also went on to have more children as this was said by Margaret June who met them very briefly. William Sweeney and Mary quinn nee Anderson definately lived as partners though they didn't marry. :-)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 3 Mar 2023 22:00

No help, but -
Lucilla White doesn't seem to have been any relation.

Lucilla White
in the 1939 England and Wales Register
Name: Lucilla White
Marital Status: Widowed
Birth Date: 17 Jan 1886
Residence Date: 1939
Address: 8
Residence Place: Halifax, Yorkshire (West Riding), England
Line Number: 41
Schedule Number: 252
Sub Schedule Number: 1
Enumeration District: Keng